All States » Alabama

Alabama Unemployment Benefit Questions

How much can I receive as benefit amount each week?

In Alabama, benefits per week range from a minimum of $45 to a maximum of $265 which is calculated using your base period earnings. On the day after you file your claim, a form is mailed to you (monetary determination) that states all of your base period wages by employer and the total and weekly amount to which you may be entitled. It is important to provide right information as all the documents and information provided will be verified before determining your eligibility to receive unemployment compensation.

What if some of my base period wages are missing or seem incorrect?

If your monetary determination has missing or incorrect wages, telephone 1-800-361-4524 immediately. A request for a re-determination may be needed in order to locate missing or incorrect wages. Know more about base period.

Can I receive benefits during all of my benefit year?

Generally, you have up to 26 weeks of eligibility depending on how much you have earned in your base period. If you return to work of if you have deductible income for any week, you may draw more or less than 26 weeks. The total amount that you can draw for the year is the maximum benefit amount shown on your monetary determination.

May an ex-service person file an interstate claim, using military wages, to qualify for UC from a state, which pays a higher benefit level?

No. Federal military wages are only assignable to the state where an ex-service person is physically located when the first claim for UC is filed following release from active duty.

What is the Waiting Week and will I receive payment for it?

The Waiting Week was implemented by legislation effective July 2008, as an unpaid period for all Unemployment Compensation recipients. In the 2012 Alabama legistative session, the waiting week was moved from the 14th payable week to the 1st payable week for all new claims effective on or after August 1, 2012. Even though benefits cannot be paid for the waiting week, for it to count as a waiting week, it must meet the requirements to be payable and a weekly certification must be filed for that period. No funds are deducted from a claim for the waiting week.

More Questions at Q&A Section.

Questions & Answers

1. Chris says:

My initial unemployment claim was denied because I voluntarily resigned the position at a job I held for 6 years. It has been 4 months and I have yet to find work. Can I reapply for unemployment benefits due to the lack of work?

2. julia says:

I close my bank account will they send me a debit card or how can I get my unemployment

3. Jamee says:

I was fired from my job because I had no choice but to call in(it was due to the water companies error-cut my water off even though I paid the bill!they reviewed camera footage and saw I did pay and finally cut it back on).I had called in prior because after I started working there my 9 yr old was diagnosed with a brain infection..my question is..any chance I can get unemployment? I filed already… Praying I get em!!! I Had NO choice but to call in to get it fixed..

• Martin says:

You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state by calling them.

4. Jeff says:

How many hours are you allowed to work a week and still draw unemployment ?

5. Princess says:

I quit my job because my mother got sick and I told my manager that I couldn’t work until she got well. He told me I was eligible for re-hire and told me when I could come back to let him know that my job would be waiting for me. When I could come back I called him and he told me to meet him at the store and I did but he never showed. I called the nxt day and he told me to call him another day and I did but he never answered or hired me back. Am I eligible for uc?

• Martin says:

You should be able to collect UI.

Please call the Unemployment Office in your state for confirmation.

6. shelia says:

I’ve been working at this company for 8 years.we have a automatic schedule we are supposed to go by.in my department I am the only one working all midshift.I have a child in school.if I turn in my notice can I still file for my unemployment.not being treated fair at work

• Martin says:

You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

7. maxie says:

I trying to file my weekly claims on my phone it’s asking me did i have any other reportable earnings which i don’t but it’s telling me i should for work i performed

8. Lisa Douglas says:

I am still considered employed by the same company I have been working for, but due to the fact that my last client passed away, I haven’t been working for the past 3 weeks.. I am hoping to be working again soon with the same company, but as of now don’t know how long it will be.. I have not been laid off or fired from company, nor have I resigned my position and do not intend to.. I have been looking for other income in my area of work, but so far have not found anything.. Can I receive unemployment benefits temporarily until I either have a new client assigned to me by my current employer or I find another job??

• Martin says:

I guess you should be able to apply and receive.

Please call the Unemployment Office in your state to confirm and apply accordingly.

9. Donna says:

my work place was supposed to file for me for two weeks but I have only heard from one week what should I do

10. Jess says:

We have been claiming for 3-4 weeks now, I know there is a waiting week, but for the past 4 weeks it has told me it is a waiting week. I can not get ahold of anyone on the phone. (We are in Alabama) I am assuming because of the layoffs that happen during the holidays. Everytime I call, there is either a busy signal, or a recording telling me there is a high call volume to call back! HELP! What can I do to contact them! I have been calling this number. 1-800-361-4524

• Martin says:

Please try to find other phone numbers on the official website.

You can also try to check online by logging in. I guess, the delay is due to the holiday season.

11. Donna says:

600 people are being layed off December 31, 2015. I knew about the lay off so I started working a part time job just in case we were layed off earlier. My question is – can I apply for unemployment benefits just like everyone else that will be layed off. If not, can I take advantage of the other benefits that everyone else is entitled to i.e. job placement, job training – if not, why. I make 350 a week and bring home maybe 260 or so from the part time job. I have been working in my present position for over 6 years.

• Martin says:

You should be able to, without any hassles.

You may want to check with the labor authorities in your state and apply accordingly.

12. Amanda says:

ok please help I am freaking out because we have bills to pay and are on the verge of loosing everything. I checked the status of my weekly claim and it says that I have qualifying weekly and a max benefit amount. I qualify for 265 a week for a max of 5640.00…… my first week under the status it says that it is the waiting week and gives me a certification date on the next week it also gives me a certification date however the status says “not paid”….. can someone please tell me what this means other than the obvious, like am I denied for benefits? or is this a waiting thing? please help

• Martin says:

It simply means that it is still being processed. Once approved, there is no way it can be denied.

Instead of panicking, please call the claims center to get details of the actual payment date.

13. Don Kilgjore says:

i haven’t received payments but once since filing and missed one week calling in…how can i recover the weeks missed from 11-7-15?

14. Perry Kimbrell says:

My plant is scheduled to close permanently on 10-30-15, I am eligible for social security, can I draw social security, and unemployment concurrently.

15. alonza lewis says:

I got demoted on my job now I am making 200.00 less a week now can I file for parther unemployee benifits

16. Larry Hayes says:

When will I get paid for my waiting week?

17. bree musselman says:

If I came out on maternity leave. Would I be able to draw unemployment?

• Martin says:

You will not qualify since personal reasons like pregnancy is not considered.

Please inquire further with the labor dept in your state.

18. Ken says:

I quit my job at the beginning of august. they have no safeties on their machines. I know I qualify for unemployment, but I really dont want to face my employer again to prove unsafe workplace. I have pictures of the machines with the safeties broken off. Will that be good enough?

• Martin says:

Yes, definitely. As long as you can prove if there is a dispute, you can receive.

Please go ahead and consider applying. If they deny based on employer’s feedback, you can ask for an adjudicator.

19. Crystal Harris says:

I was laid off from my job on June 30th. I immediately started application for unemployment seeing that I didn’t know for how long I’d be out of work It’s now 4 weeks and the same job asked for me to work one day. I worked 8 hours, can I still draw my unemployment? I know it varies state by state, but I figured I was damned if I do damned if I don’t. Please let me know because as of yet I still haven’t received any unemployment.

• Jeff says:

Working just a day should not affect your claim.

Please follow up with the claims department for an update. It does not take 4 weeks unless they have notified you advance.

20. Dennis says:

Due to K-mart closing stores many people are losing there job one of the main question is can the employee start there pension and draw unemployment while they look for another job?

• Adrian says:

Depends.

Pension may be a hurdle in some states. Please speak to the customer service of the labor dept in AL for more information.

21. casey says:

I have worked for this construction company for the last 8 years. We are between jobs and they say it may be 6 weeks before we start another one can I receive benefits for those 6 weeks?

22. lindsey says:

if you are penalized for 8 weeks but file weekly claims every week for those 8 week do you have to reopen your claim or file all over again?

23. khaled says:

It has been a month since i applied for my unemployment and i have called in every sunday and have received nothing. I call the 1-800 number multiple times a day and all it says is that they cant take calls. How can i find out it i will be receiving my benefits or if i have been denied?

24. Barbara A says:

I am receiving a retirement check from the Teachers Retirement System of Alabama. I am currently working but my job may be phased out. Can I draw unemployment if receiving a retirment check from the state of Alabama?

25. Jonathan Bragg says:

I work through elwood staffing at nse new south express and I applied for unemployment for the week of july 4,2013 because the plant was shut down and I have not received my unemployment check as 8/11/2013! could u please review my case and inform me when I will receive my unemployment check because I would have worked if the plant had not shut down for the week. I would greatly appreciate a returned email informing me when I will receive my check thank u jonathan bragg

Post Your Question