All States » Alabama

Alabama Unemployment Benefit Questions

How much can I receive as benefit amount each week?

In Alabama, benefits per week range from a minimum of $45 to a maximum of $265 which is calculated using your base period earnings. On the day after you file your claim, a form is mailed to you (monetary determination) that states all of your base period wages by employer and the total and weekly amount to which you may be entitled. It is important to provide right information as all the documents and information provided will be verified before determining your eligibility to receive unemployment compensation.

What if some of my base period wages are missing or seem incorrect?

If your monetary determination has missing or incorrect wages, telephone 1-800-361-4524 immediately. A request for a re-determination may be needed in order to locate missing or incorrect wages. Know more about base period.

Can I receive benefits during all of my benefit year?

Generally, you have up to 26 weeks of eligibility depending on how much you have earned in your base period. If you return to work of if you have deductible income for any week, you may draw more or less than 26 weeks. The total amount that you can draw for the year is the maximum benefit amount shown on your monetary determination.

May an ex-service person file an interstate claim, using military wages, to qualify for UC from a state, which pays a higher benefit level?

No. Federal military wages are only assignable to the state where an ex-service person is physically located when the first claim for UC is filed following release from active duty.

What is the Waiting Week and will I receive payment for it?

The Waiting Week was implemented by legislation effective July 2008, as an unpaid period for all Unemployment Compensation recipients. In the 2012 Alabama legistative session, the waiting week was moved from the 14th payable week to the 1st payable week for all new claims effective on or after August 1, 2012. Even though benefits cannot be paid for the waiting week, for it to count as a waiting week, it must meet the requirements to be payable and a weekly certification must be filed for that period. No funds are deducted from a claim for the waiting week.

More Questions at Q&A Section.

Questions & Answers

1. alonza lewis says:

I got demoted on my job now I am making 200.00 less a week now can I file for parther unemployee benifits

2. Larry Hayes says:

When will I get paid for my waiting week?

3. bree musselman says:

If I came out on maternity leave. Would I be able to draw unemployment?

• Martin says:

You will not qualify since personal reasons like pregnancy is not considered.

Please inquire further with the labor dept in your state.

4. Ken says:

I quit my job at the beginning of august. they have no safeties on their machines. I know I qualify for unemployment, but I really dont want to face my employer again to prove unsafe workplace. I have pictures of the machines with the safeties broken off. Will that be good enough?

• Martin says:

Yes, definitely. As long as you can prove if there is a dispute, you can receive.

Please go ahead and consider applying. If they deny based on employer’s feedback, you can ask for an adjudicator.

5. Crystal Harris says:

I was laid off from my job on June 30th. I immediately started application for unemployment seeing that I didn’t know for how long I’d be out of work It’s now 4 weeks and the same job asked for me to work one day. I worked 8 hours, can I still draw my unemployment? I know it varies state by state, but I figured I was damned if I do damned if I don’t. Please let me know because as of yet I still haven’t received any unemployment.

• Jeff says:

Working just a day should not affect your claim.

Please follow up with the claims department for an update. It does not take 4 weeks unless they have notified you advance.

6. Dennis says:

Due to K-mart closing stores many people are losing there job one of the main question is can the employee start there pension and draw unemployment while they look for another job?

• Adrian says:

Pension may be a hurdle in some states. Please speak to the customer service of the labor dept in AL for more information.

7. casey says:

I have worked for this construction company for the last 8 years. We are between jobs and they say it may be 6 weeks before we start another one can I receive benefits for those 6 weeks?

8. lindsey says:

if you are penalized for 8 weeks but file weekly claims every week for those 8 week do you have to reopen your claim or file all over again?

9. khaled says:

It has been a month since i applied for my unemployment and i have called in every sunday and have received nothing. I call the 1-800 number multiple times a day and all it says is that they cant take calls. How can i find out it i will be receiving my benefits or if i have been denied?

10. Barbara A says:

I am receiving a retirement check from the Teachers Retirement System of Alabama. I am currently working but my job may be phased out. Can I draw unemployment if receiving a retirment check from the state of Alabama?

11. Jonathan Bragg says:

I work through elwood staffing at nse new south express and I applied for unemployment for the week of july 4,2013 because the plant was shut down and I have not received my unemployment check as 8/11/2013! could u please review my case and inform me when I will receive my unemployment check because I would have worked if the plant had not shut down for the week. I would greatly appreciate a returned email informing me when I will receive my check thank u jonathan bragg

Post Your Question