California Unemployment Benefits

Claim your benefits
Mark Icon
Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?


Are you willing to actively look for a job?


dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?


Did you earn at least $ 1125 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Jan 2015 - Mar 2015 to Oct 2015 - Dec 2015


question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?


Were you fired for no fault of your own?


Were you laid off for no fault of your own?


phone icon
CALL: 1-866-333-4606 which is the self service number. The Spanish line is available at 1-866-333-4606. To reach a customer service live person, dial 1-800-300-5616. This line answers your questions about Filing Claims, getting information and any general inquiries. Deaf and hard of hearing callers to contact CA unemployment office by using 1-800-815-9387, the TTY toll-free number. This will put you in direct contact with an EDD customer service representative who can provide you with unemployment insurance services.

you are not eligible

State Name: California

     Wages Earned:





Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

    State: California (CA)
    Phone Number: 1-866-333-4606 which is the self service number. The Spanish line is available at 1-866-333-4606. To reach a customer service live person, dial 1-800-300-5616. This line answers your questions about Filing Claims, getting information and any general inquiries. Deaf and hard of hearing callers to contact CA unemployment office by using 1-800-815-9387, the TTY toll-free number. This will put you in direct contact with an EDD customer service representative who can provide you with unemployment insurance services.
    File Online:
    Major Towns: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Oakland, Santa Ana, Anaheim and Bakersfield

    Current Unemploymnet Rate in California

    California Unemployment Questions

    How are UI benefits calculated?
    Benefits are calculated using an individual’s earnings during a specific 12 month period (this is called a base period). The base period begins approximately 15-17 months prior to the date the claim is filed. The amount paid each week is calculated based on the calendar quarter with the highest earnings during the base period.

    What if I lost my job and cannot work because of the disaster or emergency?
    If you are unemployed due to a disaster or emergency, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. When you file your UI claim, you must explain that you were unemployed as a result of a disaster or emergency. UI claims can be filed online, by telephone, by mail, or by fax. Find information about filing a UI claim or call EDD at one of the numbers listed below in the Disaster Unemployment Assistance section. Individuals with current claims for benefits, who are unable to receive their Unemployment Insurance payments at their home due to the disaster or emergency, should contact their local post office.

    What if I am sick or injured, and cannot work?
    An individual who files for UI benefits must be physically able to work, available for work, ready and willing to immediately accept work, and meet all other eligibility requirements before UI benefits can be paid. An individual who is not eligible for UI benefits because they are sick or injured, can file a claim for California’s State Disability Insurance (SDI) program. SDI provides short-term benefits to an eligible individual who suffers loss of wages because he/she is unable to work due to a non-work related illness or injury, or due to pregnancy or childbirth. SDI benefits can be paid only after an individual meets all of the basic eligibility requirements.

    How does vacation pay or holiday pay affect my eligibility to receive unemployment insurance benefits?
    Vacation pay or holiday may be deducted from your benefits. It will depend on whether or not you have been given a definite date to return to work at the time you were placed on layoff status: If you are not given a definite date to return to work, any vacation pay or holiday pay paid to you when your job ends is not deducted from your weekly benefit amount.
    If you are given a definite date to return to work, any vacation or holiday pay for the period of the temporary layoff is deductible from your benefits. The Department will allocate vacation and holiday pay as follows:
    - Vacation pay will be allocated to the number of days you requested vacation or to the number of days your employer required you to use as vacation during the temporary layoff.
    - Holiday pay that is paid before you return to work will be allocated to the week(s) in which the holiday(s) fall. Holiday pay that is paid after you return to work will be allocated to the week that you return to work.

    File unemployment extension in CA

    Once you have exhausted your entitlement to your regular UI claim, you may be eligible to file the first extension. If you are eligible to file the first extension, the Department will automatically file the first extension and send you an additional Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. No action is required on your part.

    Do I need to reapply for the second extension?
    Once you have collected all benefits payable on your first extension, you may be eligible to file the second extension. If you are eligible to file the second extension, the Department will automatically file the second extension and send you an additional Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. No action is required on your part.

Questions & Answers

  1. George Hernandez says:

    I been living in California for a little bit more than a year already. I was working for a company for almost a year and I got let go because I missed on day and it was extremely busy that day and lot of people missed.

    • Martin says:

      Generally, voluntary reasons such as performance issues are not considered.

      Please check on your eligibility by calling the Labor authorities in your state.

  2. Naomi says:

    My hours are reduced to part time in marhc, then 1day each next two weeks. I planned for a vacation in two weeks which was approved over 6month ago. I cannot go look for a job now since I have to go off for 3 weeks which is to see my aging mother who I havent seen for two years. Can I apply for UI now or when I’m back? Thank you.

  3. Gerald Ortiz says:

    I had applied for unemployment back on March 4th 2016 it’s been two weeks and I have not heard a thing. What can I do?

  4. Randy law says:

    I tried to reopen my claim said I have duplicate submission what does that mean

  5. Melodie says:

    I have been on state disability for the last 12 months… I am now released for work but my position is no longer available, Can I receive unemployment if I haven’t worked the past year?

    • Martin says:

      Unfortunately, you will not be eligible as employment is required in the last 5 calendar quarters to ascertain eligibility.

  6. Bernadette says:

    My company in so cal filed chapter 11, im veing furloughed 4 days a month , and am told i mught lose my 213 hrs vacation i accrued.ive been there 15 years, if i quit now befor chapter 7 or buy out so i can get my vacation can i still file for unemployment benifits

  7. gina says:

    ive worked for this company for almost 2 yrs and someone bought us out we still have one restruant and I don’t get the hours or salary like I did from the little restraunt can I applu for unemployment

  8. tom greeson says:

    the company I worked for 17 years told me I was no longer a employee but a sub-contractor and I worked for a while nothing changed expect no benefits can I draw unemployment benefits in the state of calif.

    • Martin says:

      Please note, contracted employees generally do not qualify for Unemployment Insurance.

      Please call the claims center/customer service of the labor dept. in your state for further information.

  9. Daniel says:

    Has anyone file an Arizona weekly claim by the internet while being in california before? I Will be out of state for couple days and want to know if there could be issues if I do so, since I’ve had this experience before where I had to be out of the country for a weekend,(visiting the dentist) and thought there was no problem if i filed my claim while been out and oh surprise, i didn’t received payment from that week and received a letter asking a bunch of questions, if I had move out the U.S and if I planned to come back, etc. Had to return it with my answers and finally my payments where delayed until that issue was solved.

    • Martin says:

      If you’ve had any issues filing online, please contact the claims center on the phone numbers provided.

      Some links do not work outside the country.

  10. Albert says:

    If my benefit were delayed for 5 weeks for not filing 2 continued claim forms properly in a past claim. Q. will benefits for the claiming weeks while on suspension be awarded all at once. On completion of suspension.

    • Martin says:

      Please call the claims center for further information in this regard. They will be able to provide precise information.

  11. Elisa says:

    Hi There:
    I was working in Williston and I got lay of , now I’m leaving in los angeles . Can I applied for unemployment in los angeles ?

  12. daniel says:

    I used to live and work in the state of Arizona, got laid of and now I am living in California. Can I apply for unemployment in CA for the last trimester I work in AZ?

  13. Isaiah says:

    If i separate out the military can i file for unemployment?

    • Adrian says:

      You can consider filing for unemployment insurance. Each state administers an exclusive scheme called the “UCX” for unemployed military men.

      Eligibility depends on multiple factors.

  14. tom glitsch says:

    I was trying to find out if I could collect unemployment after being laid off.I had workers comp injury 3 years. I have been cleared to return to work. I had 2 back surgery’s now I am cleared, no restrictions.

    • Adrian says:

      If you’re now able and available to work, please consider applying for unemployment insurance as long as you’re scouting for jobs.

  15. manny chavez says:

    Hello..I am collecting unemployment benefits in California since January 2014.It will run out this mid.September..Are there any federal extentions ?

  16. Mark says:

    I had to quit my job because I am not able to perform the job duties due to physical problems with my back and leg. I have been there 5 1/2 years. Can I qualify for unemployment? I was on temp disabilty but that has stopped due to my doctors not doing their work in a timely manner.

    Thank you

  17. Melissa Spires says:

    Can a person on unemployment relocate to another state and look for another job and still collect california unemployment by putting in a change of address?

    • Adrian says:

      I guess that should not be an issue.

      Please call the customer service of the labor dept in your state to confirm.

    • Trevor Akerley says:

      I have applied for UI benefits after relocating to MA from CA. How can I check my application status and why can’t I talk with a human being?

      Not all web sites are intuitive in finding what you need and clearly I’m missing the application status button. MA has a system where you login to your established account. Where is CA’s?

  18. Marco says:

    I work in AZ but im a recident from CA. I pay taxes from CA and AZ, they told us that we have one more month of work and im going back to CA, can i get my unemployment from CA?

  19. richard says:

    I am on partial unemployment in calif. because my co. reduced me from 40 hrs to very part-time hrs. My co. decided not to give me anjy hrs for 3 and one half weeks so I quite on april 24th 2014. What happens now, How do I notify unemployment that i quit and have them review my claim. You cannot get through on the phone Anymore. E-mail does not respond to this type of question.I have received money for the 2 weeks after I quit and it might be over-payment.

    • Adrian says:

      Please get online and access your account if you filed online.

      Otherwise, see if you can register online for ease of managing your claim.

  20. Becca says:

    I’m in California. Original claim ran from 04/13 thru 04/14. Received 26 wks. tier 1 of extension, like all cut off end of 12/13. At one year of original filing received de429l invalid claim for 04/06/14 & received de429z notice of award with new claim year 04/14 thru 04/15 with award amounts and April & June quarters with my earning that where used. Info includes what forms will be arriving, weekly claim forms and info to register at cal jobs. Confused because both forms arrived within two days of each other. Is award notice valid? Can’t reach anyone by phone at edd. Should I just wait to see if claim forms arrive or send in appeal form that came with de429l invalid claim?
    Thanks for any info you can help with.

    • Adrian says:

      Strange. If you filed online,please see if you can get an update on status.

      Continue trying the customer service at the EDD as they would have the latest and most accurate information.

  21. Tim says:

    My company was just sold and I had to reapply and was not hired, I worked for the previous company for just about 2yrs, can I apply for EDD? Am I eligible? and how would I file?

    Thank You.

  22. Lorretta Lenz says:

    Do I need to claim my Ca disability on my CA unemployment form .

    • Adrian says:

      If there is a provision to notify disability or any such conditions on the form,please go ahead and be transparent. For specific questions,please call up the Claims/customer service center of the Labor department in CA.

  23. ron says:

    I ve been laid off. I have worked for the company for 16 months which have paid into unemployment benefits. I have also worked off and on at another job which did not pay into benefits Does this change or disrupt in any way for filing or collecting benefits in ca.

  24. Priscilla says:

    If I know there gona lay me off and I have a release date can I file a claim before I’m lay off.

  25. Mary says:

    I quit my self employed job to take a seasonal waitress job in May 2013 through Oct 2013.
    The calculator estimated I didn’t make enough in qualifying period to receive benefits. It said contact a rep which I have tried for 2 weeks. Is there a way to use my income from July-Oct? Or should I wait until January to apply when there will be a bigger quarter? How can I talk to a person for help?

  26. Cyla says:

    can I receive unemployment while going to college? Are there additional cash aid programs for unemployed moms attending school?

  27. Judy says:

    If I retire from one company and go to work for another company,
    full time, it is a temporary job for 3-1/2 months, will I be able to file for unemployement after the new job is finished?

  28. Sharon R. Shields says:

    I am trying to find the year I last received unemployment . My Cell number is 951 880-8313. Or you can notify me by email. Thank you

  29. Dale G Ferguson says:

    I am following up on my Claim,
    1st week (08/25)(08/31)
    2nd week (09/01)(09/07)

    I mailed it in (09/08/2013)I thought I would have seen something…Is it there?
    Dale G. Ferguson
    24011 Juaneno Dr Mission Viejo Dr. 92691
    cell (949)326-8632

  30. Scott says:

    Are extensions still being offered? My regular UI benefits will run out on December 31. Given that companies typically stop hiring for full time employment the last 2 months of the year that realistically gives me only 2 1/2 months to find a job.

    When I had my phone interview with the EDD representative last month I asked her how I would go about filing for an extension in the event I had not found a job yet and had exhausted my regular UI benefits. She told me that due to budget cuts they were not offering anymore extensions and that my only recourse would be to go to the county for assistance.

    But, when I look at the info on the CA UI benefits on this site it says the maximum is 65 weeks which infers that there are extensions still being offered.

    Can you please clear up my confusion?

    • kathy says:

      Extensions are determined by the unemployment level in each state – one state might offer extensions and another may not. You could google the topic for your state and perhaps get an idea if there is any chance of an extension in the future. That is not to say the information given by the representative is unreliable – they give the information they have at that time.

  31. Wanda Payne says:

    I never received my packet in the mail . I filed a claim over the phone and no packet came in the mail! The representative said it would be here in 10 days! It is not! Tried to call 7/29 u were closed and tried first thing this morning to heavy calls coming in!

  32. gabi rios says:

    i recently quit my job to reloate to southern california from central california becausd spouse job is in so .cal we were having diffuculty paying 2 rents and managing to households can i collect unemployment til i find a job..

  33. Mallorie says:

    I do currently have a job but have a 6 month old that I’m unable to have an affordable babysitter. If I quit due to me having to take care of my baby could I collect some kind of unemployment?

Post Your Question

forum link

two × = 16

State Unemployment Guides