1. This is a public discussion forum. You must contact State Unemployment authorities to get accurate & up-to-date information.

Forced out/fired

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Fishingrodburner, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Fishingrodburner

Fishingrodburner New Member

Hi, I am a welder and I began working for a contractor in Oklahoma on July 13, 2016. I live in Texas and all of the work for this contractor was based in OK. I was hired by a superintendent that I had worked for in the past. The first three month were great. I averaged about 55-60 hours/week. When that job was completed the bosses I hired on with quit and took jobs elsewhere. I then began working under different supervisors with whom I had no history. Almost immediately my hours were cut and it was obvious they were trying to make me quit. Other welders were still working steady without reduced hours. I understood that was their right. I was just holding out for a different job. Some hours are better than nothing. Then from 1/12/17 through 1/23/17 I was told to not come in because there wasn't enough work for me. During this time all of the other welders were working 7 days/week. They also hired a new welder while I was off. I called and messaged my boss repeatedly asking if he could use me without much luck. I finally filed for unemployment even though they hadn't officially laid me off. Then on 1/22 I was told to come in and work on 1/24. I arrived and worked that day. The next morning I showed up late at the shop. This was the first time I had been late since starting in July of 2016. I was immediately fired. Now I'm worried that my unemployment claim will be denied over this one time issue. It's obvious that they wanted me gone long before this happened. Is there anything I can do to help my case? I have records showing my hours had been reduced long before this happened. I haven't had any rejected welds unlike some of the recently hired welders. I know I probably added more information than what was needed. Thank you for any advice.

2. Sophie

Sophie Moderator

Well, this is a tricky situation. If your full-time hours were reduced involuntarily, you can claim partial unemployment benefits. However, it looks like your job is on contract and such employment does not generally qualify. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

3. Fishingrodburner

Fishingrodburner New Member

I filled out a w-4, and taxes were deducted. I received my w-2 in the mail yesterday from them. I was an employee.