Florida Unemployment Benefits

Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?

Are you willing to actively look for a job?

dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?

Did you earn at least $ 3400 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Jul 2013 - Sep 2013 to Apr 2014 - Jun 2014

question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?

Were you fired for no fault of your own?

Were you laid off for no fault of your own?

phone icon
CALL: 1-800-204-2418. Choose the language and then option 2. The telephone center is open to process claims Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. You may also file by mail. Claim booklets are available at the One Stop Career Centers throughout Florida. A list of the One Stop Career Centers may be found at http://www.floridajobs.org/onestop/onestopdir/index.htm. Computers are also available at the One Stop Career Centers so that you can file your claim using the Internet.

you are not eligible

State Name: Florida

Wages Earned:

$

$

$

$

Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

State: Florida (FL)
    Phone Number: 1-800-204-2418. Choose the language and then option 2. The telephone center is open to process claims Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. You may also file by mail. Claim booklets are available at the One Stop Career Centers throughout Florida. A list of the One Stop Career Centers may be found at http://www.floridajobs.org/onestop/onestopdir/index.htm. Computers are also available at the One Stop Career Centers so that you can file your claim using the Internet.
    File Online: http://www.floridajobs.org/job-seekers-community-services/reemployment-assistance-center/file-a-claim
    Major Towns: Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando, Hialeah, Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee, Cape Coral and Port St. Lucie

Current Unemploymnet Rate in Florida

Florida Unemployment Questions

Can my claim be backdated to when I became unemployed?
    The Florida Unemployment Compensation Law requires that the effective date of your claim must be the Sunday prior to the date you file your claim. Your claim cannot be retroactively backdated to the date of job separation which began the period of your unemployment.

I am working part-time. How do I report my earnings?
    A claim week for unemployment compensation starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday. Earnings must be reported in the week earned, even if you have not been paid. You must report your total gross earnings before deductions. Part-time earnings, over $52, will be deducted from your weekly benefit amount. Earnings less than $52 will have no effect on your weekly benefit amount. If your gross earnings for a claim week are equal to or greater than your weekly benefit amount, no unemployment compensation benefits will be paid to you for that week. You do not lose the benefits, the benefits are just not paid for that week. The benefits remain as available credits.

How do I file a claim against Florida if I am currently residing in another state?
    If you are currently residing in another state but had employment in Florida during the base period, you may file your claim using the Internet or telephone

Am I eligible for benefits if I was discharged, voluntarily quit, am self-employed, am a school employee between terms, am not able and available for work, received severance pay or wages in lieu of notice, am receiving retirement income etc.?

While we cannot advise you concerning eligibility prior to a claim being filed, please note that if you worked for a school, unemployment benefits may be denied between terms and during school breaks or when on vacation.

Determinations concerning eligibility for benefits can only be made after a claim is filed, as we are required to obtain the facts from you and the employer concerning these and other eligibility issues.

Monetary Eligibility

A Wage Transcript and Determination form will be mailed to you about a week after filing your claim. It will tell you if you worked and earned enough wages to qualify for benefits and if you did, what your weekly and maximum benefit amounts are. A monetarily eligible claim does not necessarily mean that you are eligible to receive benefits (see Non-monetary Eligibility, below).

Non-monetary Eligibility

If your claim is monetarily eligible and you claim weeks, your claim will be reviewed to determine if you or a former employer have raised any issues that might keep you from getting paid. If there are issues, they will be investigated and one or more determinations will be sent to you to tell you if you will actually receive your benefits. This determination is normally issued about six weeks from the date you filed your claim. You must be eligible on all issues in order to get paid.

Below is a general description of the issues which can affect your claim:
    • You were discharged (fired), you quit, or you are on a suspension or leave of absence from your last employer or other recent employers.
    • You are a school employee and you are not working because you are between terms or on a vacation or holiday.
    • You are unable or unavailable to work or to accept work or you are not looking for work or you have failed to report five contacts with prospective employers for work during a claim week.
    • You are currently attending school or training. You are currently self-employed.
    • You are receiving payments of some kind from a recent employer. You refused a suitable job offer or you refused a referral from the One-Stop Career Center to a suitable job.
    • You failed to participate in Reemployment Services scheduled at the One-Stop Career Center.
    • You failed to complete the initial skills review on the Internet.

Am I eligible for unemployment benefits while working part-time and how will it affect my claim/benefits?
    If your gross earnings for a claim week are equal to or greater than your weekly benefit amount, no unemployment compensation benefits will be paid to you for that week. You do not lose the benefits - the benefits are just not paid for that week. The benefits remain as available credits. You must also continue seeking fulltime employment, unless all of your work during the base period of your claim was part-time work.

I was in the military and I have been discharged from active duty. Where do I file my claim?
    If you are filing your first claim since leaving the military, your claim must be filed with the state in which you are physically located at the time you file your claim. You do not have to be living in that state permanently to file a claim against that state. If this is not your first claim since leaving the military, file your claim with the state in which you are currently living and if you need to file with another state you will be advised to do so.

When does my claim start or become effective?
    For uniformity claims, applications for new claims are established to begin the Sunday that begins the week in which you file your claim. This ensures you will be able to receive credit for the week. If you had a prior claim which ended during that week, or you are filing during a week in which a new calendar quarter begins and your claim needs to be effective on the first day of the new calendar quarter, the effective date of your claim may be on a day other than Sunday.

Questions & Answers

1. Melisa J. Havens says:

My original claim in 2011 was denied. I believe because my employer at the time put down I quit, when I didn’t. I put in for a transfer and gave proper notice.(because I was moving out of town) I believe he did this because he got upset because he already had 3 transfers out that year. After I moved I checked with the local Publix stores, they said he didn’t put in for transfer. Since I haven’t been able to find any steady work, can I re-apply my original claim?

2. Melisa J. Havens says:

My original claim back in 2011 was denied. I think because my last employer at the time put down I quit. When I put in for a transfer and gave proper notice.(because I was moving out of town) He was really upset at my leaving because he already had 3 transfers out that year. Since I haven’t been able to find any steady work, can I re-open my claim?

3. BARBARA LOSADA says:

My son worked and lived in Fredrick Maryland and got laid off because work was slow. Now he move back to Florida and wants to apply for unemployment, does he apply for it in Florida or does he has to apply in Maryland?

4. Tyson says:

Just lost my job that I had for a year and a half. How do I file for unemployment compensation?

5. david moralez says:

i am unemployed and am curently recieving unemployment i worked for 3 days and made 1,900.00 or so for how many weeks will they hold my unemployment or money from me its not looking to good

6. Sheila gipson-pasco says:

August 4th week is the first week I can claim,if I take a partial cash out when I roll over my 401 to my bank in an individual retirement account to pay off my car loan to manage my bills , will this effect my benefits ?

7. Donald Knowles says:

I have been working 60 hours per week since Feb 4, 2013. The company I am working for is probably going to let me go on Saturday August 3 which will be 1 day short of the 6 month period. Will I be eligible for unemployment? The company is doing this with ALL of their employees so I know that this is what is going to happen.

• Baggie says:

Hi Donald,

If you have earned sufficient credits then the state may consider. Usual requirement is about 1 year of employment.

8. KAUSAR says:

I was hired to work 40hrs/week,since past 2 years I have only gotten 24 hours of work.
    Can I file for unemployment? What are the requirements.

9. Susana Garcia says:

I lost my job last week and would like to apply for unemployment

10. Mayre Jo George says:

I am a teacher whose contract was not renewed for next year. Can I apply for unemployment compensation?

11. lita true says:

can you draw unemployment if you were fired

• Baggie says:

Hi Lita,

If a person is fired due to work related misconduct, then he or she is not eligible for unemployment compensation.

12. Ashanta Wright says:

I was working 40 plus hours a week. Then i was working 25-30 hours a week. Then 1 day a week. Now I’m laid off and unemployed. Can i get unemployment?

13. james s. nowell says:

I have been out of work since mid Feb.2013. I was a OTR Truck driver & had to quit due to medical reasons(stage 2b melanoma).I had a surgery then went out of state for further treatment.Am currently in remission,but CANNOT return to driving OTR because of appox 2-3 hrs of therapy I must do everyday,& I must eat a very restricted diet of freshly prepared foods (no fast food or processed food). I applied for SSD ,but was declined because I am not disabled, which is why I did not apply for unemployment sooner. The trucking co I drove for was based in AL. I also am restricted to only being on my feet for short periods of time due to a injury back in 1993 in which a worker comp claim was filed. My question is would I be eligible for unemployment benefits. Thank You

• Baggie says:

Hi James,

If you are unable to work then you might not be able to receive unemployment benefits. Please check if you can receive temporary disability benefits.
      You could be eligible to receive benefits if you are able and available to work.

14. JOHN MCNEILL says:

l want to apply for unemployment

15. Julie Brennan says:

I have just been cut from full time to part time, from 40 hours a week to 28. Am I eligible for unemployment?

16. Yvette Colom says:

Good afternoon, how do I get a letter stating that I do not receive benefits anymore?

17. richard badeau says:

I quit my last job,can I receive unemployment compensation?

• Baggie says:

Hi Richard,

It depends on what you quit your job for. Please apply for unemployment compensation and let the unemployment office decide your eligibility. You have the right to appeal if the determination is not satisfactory.

18. Gwen Sand says:

I think I am going to be laid off, but I think they may offer me 20 hours with no insurance. If I choose to try and live on the 20 hours and then decide I can not…. am I eligible for unemployment at that time?

19. nec says:

I worked for a small business for a year, The first 10 months I was paid by check made out to cash, never paid overtime even though I worked it. Went on their payroll plan in February and got laid off last week. My unemployment claim says I did not meet monetary qualifications. Now what?

20. Tony Benson says:

I was working only a few months as a commercial Driver. I had a random FDOT inspection and was unable to show a valid Drivers license. I was terminated because I told my employer the following day and not the same day. Am I eligible for unemployment?

• Baggie says:

Hi Tony,

It looks like you were fired for your failure. It is necessary to have lost job through no fault of your own. Please go ahead and apply.

21. Paula says:

I have been out of work now for two weeks due to an injury not done at work and I have no short term will I be able to recieve unemployment at this time until I am able to get back to work.

22. Ryan says:

I filed for unemployment on April,4 2013, not realizing my claim had said Laid off when i was fired. Im pretty sure it was my mouse scroller that change it by mistake. Didnt claim my weeks after that so they put me inactive. I filed again on May 23 2013 and i think the same thing happened Because now there are issues with my claim.I did contact Unemployment office and told them about it. im really worried dont what’s going to happen.Hopefully just denial of claim.

23. annie says:

can you be suspended from work and get unemployment if you are going pass 14days in florida and cant get a job

• Baggie says:

Hi Annie,

You may not be allowed to collect benefits if you were suspended for a fault of your own and the employer can prove it. You can always go ahead and try.

24. Judy DeCrescente says:

I’ve worked part time at a country club for five years–approx. 24 hours a week. they are planning to close for the month of august and laying off all employees. will I be eligible for unemployment?

• Baggie says:

Hi Judy,

It is important to have earned a certain amount each month in order to qualify and receive unemployment benefits. Please check if you meet the eligibility requirements set up by the state government. Since you are being furloughed for a month, you are mostly eligible to receive benefits.

25. Jack says:

I was employed by my employer in October 2012 and I just found out I will be laid off in 2 weeks would I qualify for umemployment

• Baggie says:

Hi Jack,

If you are laid off, then you are eligible to receive benefits. Please note that you have to meet other eligibility requirements in order to receive benefit amount. This includes your earnings in the base period.

26. Jerry Lee Wonder says:

I have been unemployed from my full-time job since 02/07/2013 and was wondering if I would be eligible to receive unemployment benefits if I still hold my part-time job?

• Baggie says:

Hi Jerry,

Even with a part time job, you can claim unemployment compensation. Please note that you have to inform about your part time job and mention your weekly earnings while collecting unemployment benefits. There are other eligibility requirements which you might want to take a look at before filing your initial claim. Apply at the earliest.

27. Benny Brockington III says:

I’ve been unemployed for now 2 months, and i have credit cards to pay off, and im in desperate need of a job, i would loveto apply for unemployment, i need to get back on my feet financially..

28. Panagiotis Sarafopoulos says:

i was working for a company in tampa for 7 months and i was promised a job with a new company in miami, i finished training in tampa for the new company and moved to miami, a couple days later i was told i am not in need any longer, i resigh from my first job and now i am unemploye
    do i file for benefites from the last place?

29. Jessica Deleon says:

I just spoke with card holder services and they are telling me that my information that they have is incorrect and that they will not issue me a new card. I would like to understand how my information is wrong and that I have placed in through the claim info to get my benefits. If someone can please contact me it will be greatly appreciated.

30. wayne says:

just moved to florida but opened a claim in another state how do I transfer that to florida

31. Wayne Rawlings says:

First Question: I am semi-retired. I am currently working part time. Most weeks I work between 24-32 hours a week. If my employer should decide to terminate my employment through no fault of my mine, am I eligible for unemployment?
    Second question: what if he cuts my hours to one day a week or ten hours? Am I eligible?
    Thank you for your help.
    Wayne Rawlings

32. Susan Glenn says:

I have been with the same company for over 10 years.
    I have been a full-time hourly employee for 99.75% of that time.
    Were my circumstances to change not only to a lower paid position
    but a part-time one, and I am then terminated, how would my un-employment benefits be calculated?
    The writing on the wall dictates I step down now, voluntarily.
    Would my claim for benefits be stronger with a forced or voluntary status change?
    I am also actively seeking alternate employment at this time; to say I
    both proactive and paranoid would not be incorrect.

Thanking you in advance for your kindness, I am

Susan Glenn

33. Joseph Gabris says:

I am an independent contractor (ISO) and after working in the same place for nearly 2 years have been terminated without cause. Am I entitled to collect unemployment?

34. ken estelle says:

I am collecting SS as I am 68 years old I currently work, but if i get laid off due to business reduction, Can I receive unemployment benefits?

35. betty dufresne says:

I work in an auto dealer as a salesperson. The employees are required to have auto deposits. My employer has missed 2 pay peroids, the first one was 3/22/2013 the second one was 4/5/2013. The first one was explained that they had made a mistake and dated the checks for 3/23/2013, I have not recieved a expaination for the second missed check.
    If I stop going to work there will it be considered that I quit my job? Will I be allowed to collect unemploymet?
    If I stop going to

36. Jo-Ann Ricci says:

we have a client who has a company in NJ, her employee is moving to FL, they want her to continue to work for them, my question to you is i know there are no state taxes but what about unemployment taxes and what forms do we need to fill out.

37. hugo says:

can I claim unemployment benefits once I’m honorable discharged from the us army? and if yes, for how long?

38. Carol DiBenedetto says:

I will be laid off of my part time position March 10. I have been working 15 to 20 hours a week. Can I collect unemployment insurance?
    Thanks

39. Jean says:

Can I file for unemployment if I don’t work for a year due to maternity?

40. Tropical Lady says:

I was a housewife & mother for 25 years, supported solely by my now ex-husband. I am having a very hard time making it on my own now. Obviously, Ive been unemployeed for a LONG time. Is there any help or unemployment benefits I can get?

41. Joan Dale Keller says:

Re: Confirmation number 524565339 11/03/12 Please withdraw my application for unemployment funds. My situation has changed and I do not wish to continue with the application.

Joan D Keller

42. tim says:

I was working 40 plus hours a week. Now im working 25-30 hours a week. Can i get unemployment?

43. cynthia.c says:

If I can’t get a job Because I’m pregnant can I receive unemployment?

44. michelle says:

my husband has been medically retired from the Navy and will be receiving 30% pension, will he be eligible for any benefits when he is discharged?

45. gregory byrd says:

i want to apply for unemployment

46. Kevin M. Benedict says:

I qualified for Benefits, but instead of looking for a job I started a business. While the business wa not profitable the first 10 months, it is now profitable and I am finally making a salary.

Can I receive any compensation during the time I was not making any mnoney?

Thanks KB

47. Catherine Rojas says:

I want to apply for unemployment

48. […] to keep track which industries are hiring or laying off employees.If you are in Florida, check out Florida Unemployment Benefits page for more […]

49. john m. julian says:

i was liiving in florida working for 5 years at the hard rock casino / hotel. I’ve recieved my compensation from my job, i have moved to north carolina during this period. I just about finished tier 1, how long can i recieve unemployment from florida? tier 1,2,3,4, ?? Can anyone help me with this information? How long am i able to recieve benefits which started in may of 2011? Please help me with some accurate informationn. Thank you, Mike

50. […] expose with budding employers in Central Florida area.To learn more about this topic check out our Florida Unemployment Benefits […]

Post Your Question