Kansas Unemployment Application
When filing a new claim, you will need the following information:
• Your Social Security number
• Full mailing address, including apartment or lot number, Zip Code and PO Box if you use one.
• A phone number where you can be reached during the day.
• The name and mailing address of all your employers in the past 18 months, no matter how long you worked there.
Note: Your paycheck stub or W–2 form usually contains this information
• The date you began and stopped working for each employer and the reason you left each job.
• The county in which you live
• Your driver’s license number
• If you are not a citizen or national of the United States, your employment authorization number and expiration date
• If you were active duty military within the past 18 months, your DD–214, Member #4 form
• If you were a federal employee, your Standard Form SF–50 or pay stub
A record of your claim will not be established unless you are told your claim has been accepted. If you are unable to complete your claim application, the information you have entered will be saved for 14 days from the date you began filing the claim so that you can complete it later and within 14 days.
After your identity is verified, you can begin filing your claim again from the point where you left off.
Your claim is effective the week that you file your application for unemployment. If you do not finish filing your claim within the 14–day period following your first attempt, you will have to start over from the beginning and answer all questions again. In addition, the effective date of your claim will change which means you will not receive waiting week credit or payment for the previous week(s).
How to File?
You can choose to file –
Click here to file an online application for unemployment insurance if:
• You are filing a new application for unemployment
• You need to open your claim again and you have worked since the last time you filed.
When filing online you must create a user name and password. Follow the instructions found there carefully. Your application is not complete until you reach the “Claimant Determination.”
The online service is available:
Sunday from noon to Monday at 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday thru Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
During the process, you may be asked to print forms that must be filled out and returned to the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center. This is important information that will be used to determine if you are eligible for unemployment benefits. A delay in the return of those documents may cause your benefits to be denied.
You can use the website to:
• File an application for unemployment insurance benefits
• File your weekly claim for benefits
• Check payment information
• Check the status of your claim
• Update personal information (phone number, mailing address, e–mail address)
• Reset your PIN (Personal Identification Number)
If you cannot file online you can apply for unemployment benefits by calling the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center.
• You must use a touch–tone phone to file your claim over the phone:
• If you are using a touch–tone phone that has a pulse/tone switch, be sure the switch is set to tone.
• Most public pay phones can access our system.
• The phone system is busiest on Monday and Tuesday. If you call on those days, be prepared for longer hold times.
• You may consider calling Wednesday, Thursday or Friday when there are usually fewer callers.
Here are some circumstances where you must have to file your claim by phone –
• You worked in any other state than Kansas in the past 18 months
• You filed an unemployment claim with another state in the past 12 months
• You were in the military service or were federal employee in the past 18 months
If any of these circumstances apply to you, use the phone numbers below to file your claim. All other claims can be filed online.
Phone Numbers -
Kansas City Area (913) 596–3500
Topeka Area (785) 575–1460
Wichita Area (316) 383–9947
Toll–free number, if you live outside the local calling area: (800) 292–6333
Speech and/or hearing disabled Kansans can access the Kansas Relay Center by calling toll-free (800) 766-3777.
7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday.
If you call outside office hours, you will only be able to complete the automated portion of your claim application. Your claim information will be saved for 14 days, allowing you to call back during office hours and speak to a claims specialist to complete your application, or you may complete filing your application online.
Claims Specialists are available Monday through Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. (Central Time) except on state holidays.
More on Kansas Unemployment –
Want to know how much you will receive as unemployment benefits? Calculate Benefits
Got questions? Here is our Q&A Section
Determine you eligibility to receive unemployment benefits in the state of Illinois –> Check Eligibility