All States » Massachusetts

Massachusetts Unemployment Benefit Questions

How much am I eligible to draw in weekly benefits?

You may collect about 50% of your average weekly wage, up to a maximum of $674 per week.  There’s an additional dependency allowance of $25 per dependent child if you provide whole or main support for your child/children.  You must have worked in Massachusetts and earned at least $3,500 during the last four quarters and at least 30 times the amount you would be eligible to collect weekly in UI benefits. After you start a claim, you will receive a Benefit Determination Form indicating your weekly benefit rate.

Do Social Security benefits, pensions and other retirement payments affect my Unemployment?

Receipt of a Social Security retirement benefits will have no effect on your eligibility or reduction in weekly benefits.

Your benefits may be affected by any pension benefits you are collecting.  You must report to DUA (Department of Unemployment Assistance) that you are receiving a pension. You will also need to provide documentation to DUA.  The DUA service representative who makes a determination on your claim will explain the law as it applies to you.  You will be asked to provide the amount and source of any type of pension or retirement payments when you file your claim. The DUA service representative who makes a determination on your claim will explain the law as it applies to you.

In all cases, you must be able to work, available for work and looking for work in order to collect unemployment benefits.

If You Have Moved from Massachusetts, When, Where, and How to File an Interstate Claim?

When you move out-of-state, you must contact the nearest unemployment insurance office in your new state of residence to file a claim against Massachusetts.

Some states let you to file your claim by telephone, while others require you to visit an office in person. In order to make sure that you obtain the full benefits to which you are entitled, it is suggested that you file your claim during your first week of total or partial unemployment, just as you would in Massachusetts.

Instead of calling the DUA TeleClaim Center, you will have to contact the DUA Interstate Department with questions about your claim. The telephone number is 617-626-6140.

More Questions?? —-> Read Q&A Benefits Section

Questions & Answers

  1. Mary says:

    I applied for unemployment March 17th, I still have not received any checks, I was unemployed for 4 weeks, found full-time employment the 5th week. When will I received a check for the 4 weeks I was laid off.

  2. Chris says:

    My company is moving a couple of towns over. I live in NH and drive 45 minutes one way. Once we move my commute will increase to over an hour. I would like to ask my company to lay me off so I can look for another position. Would I be able to collect?

  3. Joe Grigarauskas says:

    If I was working full time and my hours got reduced to part time, can I collect unemployment insurance for the difference in pay?

  4. Jay says:

    My job will be eliminated and I will be receiving a pension. How will this pension affect my weekly unemployment benefits.

    • Adrian says:

      In some states, pension may be a hurdle when you apply for UI benefits. Please discuss this with the customer service team of the labor dept in your state to check how it is treated there.

      Remember, you need to be actively looking for a job and must be ready to accept a suitable job offer.

  5. Marc says:

    I have been receiving unemployment while going to college full time. Last week I was in a very bad car accident, sustaining 3 limb fractures. I am unable to continue going to school, or look for work. Is there any unemployment program where I can still collect, since I was hurt while on unemployment?

    • Adrian says:

      I am sorry to hear about your situation.

      You may not be eligible for UI benefits at this time but you can explore the Workman’s compensation scheme.

  6. Debra says:

    I have been working for a company for 9 years and had a set schedule. Recently people have been fired and employees have quit. My director wants to add days on to my shifts which I cannot work because I am obligated elsewhere. My employer tells me it is company policy for everyone to work a weekend day. I want to know if I refuse, I will probably be fired. Will I be elegible to collect unemployment benefits.

    • Adrian says:

      Depends.There are many eligibility factors and it all depends on the way a claim is processed.If you quit and file for UI benefits,chances are that your employer may contest the claim.

  7. Brian Cooper says:

    I’m currently collecting unemployment. My unemployment runs out at the end of May. I may have an opportunity to pick up work as an independent contractor for 1 month… let’s say the month of March. How will this effect my claim? Do I stop my claim in March and refile in April, or do I do something else. Then, what happens if I get another independent contract opportunity?

    • Adrian says:

      If you are deriving income out of the contractor ship,please do not file for the specific period. You can also speak to the customer service/claims center of the labor dept to see how it would affect.

  8. mark says:

    I work in mass my company is offering a Voluntary Early Retirement Program (VERP). which will pay me my weekly salary for 11 months.will i be able to collect during or after this benefit is paid

  9. Shawn says:

    I opened a claim march 24 2013 but went back to work 2 weeks later
    I’m getting laid off febuary 5 2014 is the claim I opened still good

  10. Donna says:

    I signed up for direct deposit. What day of the week will the benefit go into my account?

  11. RMurphy says:

    What are the options for going back to school AND getting unemployment benefits at the same time? The schooling is for bettering myself in the same field.

  12. Sherry says:

    How much does my pension effect my unemployment benefits.

  13. Kathy says:

    I wanted to add to my comment from 11/6 that I am waiting for an answer on. There are 2 different states involved, does that make a difference?

  14. Kathy says:

    I worked for 7 years and got laid off. I was able to land a job, but unfortunately it is not working out. Have I lost all my rights to unemployment?

  15. JoJo says:

    I have two kids under 18 and their dad and I have 50-50 legal and physical custody. I applied for the dependency allowances but both were denied. Is it because he gives me child support making them more financially dependent on him over me? I am confused because back in 2011, I received dependency allowances and nothing has changed financially since. The only thing that changed is I opened an existing claim last time in 2011. This one I am writing about is a new claim though I believe I answered the dependency questions the exact same way.

  16. irlanda barros says:

    I need to know why I don”t get my week benefit ?

    • kathy says:

      This is not the unemployment office. I have no access to your account in order to even guess why you are not getting your benefit. Did you get a financial determination saying you were eligible? What if you contact your state re-employment center and discuss details with them or contact your local unemployment office – call, online, or fax (always include your name, phone #, and social security number on each page).

  17. Ralph says:

    I will be layed off on Sept 30th, which is a Monday, Do I apply for benefits that week, or do I have to wait until the following week ?

  18. Joe Perkoski says:

    My one-year period of eligibility is set to expire in about two weeks. However, I have been working as a full-time temp for the past 6.5 months so my eligibility was placed on hold during this time and I did not collect any benefits. Now that my temp assignment is set to expire, am I still eligible to collect any benefits and do I need to file a new claim?

  19. Julia Bocchino says:

    My benifits ended in January 13,2013- I returned to
    work again in May as a temporary employee for Walmart
    and Under Armour for Summer only. How can I find or
    reapply to reopen my claim? Is it only by phone?

Post Your Question

forum link

8 + three =