Montana Unemployment Benefits

Claim your benefits
Mark Icon
Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?


Are you willing to actively look for a job?


dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?


Did you earn at least $ 2363 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Jan 2015 - Mar 2015 to Oct 2015 - Dec 2015


question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?


Were you fired for no fault of your own?


Were you laid off for no fault of your own?


phone icon
CALL: (406) 444-2545 Helena or (406) 247-1000 Billings to file an Unemployment Compensation Claim (8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday hours are from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm.)

you are not eligible

State Name: Montana

     Wages Earned:





Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

    State: Montana (MT)
    Phone Number: (406) 444-2545 Helena or (406) 247-1000 Billings to file an Unemployment Compensation Claim (8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday hours are from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm.)
    File Online:
    Major Towns: Billings, Bozeman, Butte-Silver Bow, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula

    Current Unemploymnet Rate in Montana

    Montana Unemployment Questions

    What if I change my address?
    Report any change of address online at or contact the Claims Processing Center. This will prevent a delay in receiving payments or information. The Post Office will not forward any mail from the Unemployment Insurance Division. If the division cannot contact you, benefits will be stopped.

    After I file my claim, when should I call the Claims Processing Center?
    You should contact us to report.
    • Any job separation that occurs during the claim
    • A suspension from work - paid or unpaid
    • Any job offered or work referral that you do not accept or apply for
    • New self employment
    • Retirement pension not previously reported
    • Any Worker’s Compensation payments received due to wage loss
    • Enrollment in school and any change in school schedule
    • Illness or injury that would prevent you from working or require you to take time off
    • Vacation or leave of absence from work
    • Inability to work or look for work
    • Not being available to work customary hours
    • Refusal to work or look for work
    Is information verified?
    Yes, information is verified by several different methods to insure only those who are entitled to benefits receive them. It is important to give complete and true information every time you provide information to the Unemployment Insurance Division. Separation information is verified with employers to determine eligibility for benefits. Verification is done in writing or by telephone.
    • Federal law requires all claims to be subject to random audit. If your claim is selected, your job search contacts, earnings and other information in your file will be verified.
    • Employers are required to report any new employees hired. This information is matched against unemployment insurance claims.
    Can I cancel my claim?
    Yes, if you notify the Claims Processing Center, in writing or by calling, within 10 days from the date you opened your initial claim.

    Why can it take so long to get a decision?
    The Claims Processing Center investigates each issue on your claim. When the issue involves a job separation, both you and the employer are given up to 8 days to provide any supporting information. When conflicting information is received, the process can take longer. These steps are important to arrive at the right decision and pay benefits correctly.

    My employer thinks I should get benefits, why am I not eligible?
    Employers do not determine eligibility. The Unemployment Insurance Division reviews information provided by both you and your employer to determine if your separation meets eligibility requirements based on Montana law and rule.

    Why do I have to file for benefits every 2 weeks?
    Montana pays benefits bi-weekly. This means you request payment 2 weeks at a time, just like submitting a timecard for a paycheck every 2 weeks. For each week you will be asked a series of questions. Your answers to the questions certify that you have met the eligibility requirements for each week.

    If I made a mistake when filing my bi-weekly claim what do I do?
    If you immediately realize you made an error, you can go back into your claim through or call the IVR and correct your information. If you have questions, call the Claims Processing Center.

    Can I go to school and receive benefits?
    Possibly, if your school attendance does not interfere with your ability to find and accept full-time work or you are in training approved by the Unemployment Insurance Division. If you did not report this when you filed/reopened your claim, you must call the Claims Processing Center to report the details of your school attendance.

    Can I get more money after my benefits run out?
    No, once you have been paid your maximum benefit amount(MBA) during a claim year, you must wait until that claim expires before opening a new Montana claim.

    Do I need to register for work at the Workforce Service Center?
    Yes, you must register for work at the Workforce Service Center unless you are considered job attached or union attached. Workforce Service staff can assist with testing, counseling, job training programs, and job seeking skills.

    Can anyone obtain information about my claim or file for my benefits?
    No, unless you have given written authority to allow another person to obtain information on your claim. You are the only one who will have access to your claim information and you are the only one who can file for your benefits. Allowing another person to have access to your PIN and file benefits for you is considered fraud and may have legal consequences.

Questions & Answers

  1. Carlee says:

    Hello, My boyfriend sent in an application 2 1/2 weeks ago. They said it had been processed and that last sunday he would go through the process but not get anything because of the grace week and that this Sunday when he filed that he would receive unemployment this wednesday, but nothing came? How long is the wait period?

    • Martin says:

      You must have received it by now. The general wait time is 7-10 working days.

      Please chase the Unemployment Office by calling on the phone numbers provided.

  2. Nissa Manley says:

    I am completely laid off no position and no income. There are two other positions but they did not offer them to me. The background was in reference to whether the injury would effect unemployment.

    • Martin says:

      It would have a say.

      Personal reasons such as health issues are generally not considered. To be able to draw, you should be able and available to work.

  3. Nissa Manley says:

    I was put on unpaid leave from my retail position due to a shoulder injury I can still work and could still do virtually every other position in the store and they put me on leave with no consideration for two other open positions. Will I qualify for unemployment?

  4. Leah Hemrick says:

    now I have filled out this application does that mean my information will be processed or is there something else I need to do

    • Martin says:

      If you’ve filed the application, please wait for the processing to happen.

      Please call the claims center if you do not hear from them in the next 7-10 business days.

  5. Brandy says:

    I recently moved to Wyoming from Montana and we were evicted from our trailer park due to Septic issues and was given a 60 day notice to get off the property or else(have letters to prove) we had no place to go so we were looking for a place and the only place was available was my home town in Wyoming. Yes I did quit my job. Im still currently looking for work and have not found anything yet. Can I apply for unemployment.

  6. Tracy says:

    I quit my job in Minnesota as I was moving back to Montana. Does this void my eligibility for Unemployment Benefits until I find work again?

  7. Thomas Payne says:

    when I quit my job I have asked for several breaks an they would ignore me. I have had told them I was having troubles breathing an having chest pains.

    • Jeff says:

      Please consider filing if you quit under hostile conditions.

      If there is a dispute, you must be able to justify with evidence.

  8. David Hoy says:

    Please give me a call 1-406-490-1176. I have a question about my new claim.

  9. diane smith says:

    need to change my routeing number for my direct deposit at my bank. Already did my filing for unemplyment on line.

  10. Sandy Jacksom says:

    Quit….hired younger people at my wage. Not more experienced!!!

  11. Richard Hirschi says:

    I have been working in Florida for the last year and own a home in Montana. I have been laid off from my job and I’m returning to Montana. Can I apply for unemployment in Montana or through Flordia?

Post Your Question

forum link

9 − = seven

State Unemployment Guides