North Carolina Unemployment Benefits

Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?

Are you willing to actively look for a job?

dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?

Did you earn at least $ 4706 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Oct through Dec 2015 to Jul through Sep,2016

question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?

Were you fired for no fault of your own?

Were you laid off for no fault of your own?

phone icon
CALL: 1-877-841-9617. To file a weekly certification, odd number SSNs on Monday & Wednesday through Saturday, even number SSNs on Tuesday through Saturday, call: 1-888-372-3453; Public Appeals : 919-707-1060;

you are not eligible

State Name: North Carolina

Wages Earned:

$

$

$

$

Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

State: North Carolina (NC)
    Phone Number: 1-877-841-9617. To file a weekly certification, odd number SSNs on Monday & Wednesday through Saturday, even number SSNs on Tuesday through Saturday, call: 1-888-372-3453; Public Appeals : 919-707-1060;
    File Online: https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/webInitialClaims/applyBegin.asp
    Major Towns: Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, Cary, High Point, and Wilmington

Current Unemploymnet Rate in North Carolina

North Carolina Unemployment Questions

How do I file a claim for unemployment?

DES provides three methods for individuals to file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits. Please review the following options for the method which best suits your needs. All three options are available for those individuals who are totally separated from their employment, and wish to apply for benefits.

File Online: this option allows claimants to apply for benefits online. You can file for benefits and register for work in as little as 20 minutes.

File by Telephone: DES provides a toll-free number which allows individuals to file for benefits. Customers can call 1-877-841-9617 (toll-free, 24-hours a day, seven days a week) to file an initial claim.

File in Person:an individual may file a claim for benefits at the nearest DES office.

Employers are responsible for filing attached claims for workers on temporary layoff.

I received separation pay (or pay, wages in lieu of notice, vacation pay, etc.). When should I file a claim?
    You are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits for any full week covered by separation pay, vacation pay, etc. (nor may such a week count as your “waiting period week”). Generally, you should file your claim the first week after the period covered by the payment (if the last week of the payment is not a full week’s pay, you may file that same week, although you possibly will still be ineligible due to excessive earnings).

Can I review the information I have submitted?
    Currently our system does not allow you to review your work registration and claim once it has been submitted. If you entered information incorrectly or omitted pertinent information online, contact DES to provide additional information.

Why can I not update my information online?
    If you have filed an unemployment insurance claim in the last 4 weeks, information may not be updated online to avoid erroneous claims processing. Contact DES if information needs to be changed.

How much money can I receive from unemployment?
    Your weekly benefit amount and the number of weeks of entitlement to benefits are based on the wages you were paid and amount of time you worked during your base period. The exact amount of benefits and the duration of those benefits cannot be determined until you actually file your claim for benefits.

It says something about a “waiting week” in the claims filing information. What am I waiting on?
    The “waiting period week” is the first week you file for and are otherwise eligible. You will never receive payment for this first week. It must be claimed to be counted. It does not mean you should wait a week before you file the claim.

How do I find an Appeals Decision pre-notification for a hearing that I attended recently?
    Log into the Individual Services secure area. Select Appeals Decision Pre-notification under Inquiries & Information section. A listing of pre-notification(s) will display.

Will I still be able to use the JOBS Line?
    Absolutely. The same User ID (your Social Security account number) and PIN gives you access to both the JOBS Line and online filing. You can even file your claim online one week, then file using the JOBS Line the next, and vice versa. Regardless of your filing method, you may still use the JOBS Line to hear job openings.

Will I get my payment sooner if I file online?
    The processing of payments is exactly the same whether you file online or by telephone, so if you file by telephone the same day as some one else files online, you both should receive your payments at about the same time. However, online filing does not require staggered Monday/Tuesday filing. So if Monday is your telephone filing day, you can file online one day earlier, or two days earlier if your telephone filing day is Tuesday, by submitting your weekly certification online.

How do I file an appeal?
    You can file an appeal to the first and second level decision in person at your local DES office, via mail to DES, attn.:Appeals Department, PO Box 25903, Raleigh, NC27611 or by email to [email protected] Appeals to Commission decisions must be filed via a petition for judicial review the Clerk of the Superior Court. The Commission must be served with copy of such petition.

What should I do if my unemployment payment is late?

View Your Benefit Payment History online or call the DES JOBS Line. Use the DES Office Locator to find the JOBS Line phone number for your location. You should allow 48 hours if you file your continued claims by telephone or 5 days if your employer files your claim(s) for you or you file by mail before checking the status of your claim.

Note: If you are eligible to receive a payment and it does not arrive within 14 days from the date you filed the claim, notify DES.

Questions & Answers

1. sekoutoure stoudmire says:

I went to prison in 2011 and I was in the appeal process of my benefits i filed every week I would like to know if I could get those benefits now that Iam out and I am working at a day labor place is there any action that Ican take for back unemployment claims?I never receiveund another hearing because I got locked up.

2. maribe vazquez says:

I dont recieve my deposit this week they suppose to deposit on tuesday ?

3. Neil Buchanan says:

I work seasonal at a landscape company….my job goes from April to aug/sept. will I be able to draw when I am laid off in aug? My employer pays in to unemployment.

4. Germaine says:

I filed a new claim on Monday but it still shows an old claim from two years ago. I received a conformation email on Monday. How long does it take to show on website?

• La Chella Morgan says:

I work for the government & we will be furlouhging from July 12 – September 20, that is working 4 days a week, Can I apply for unemployment?

5. niurka says:

I left my job because I have to live the state

6. Antoine says:

I was working with a temp agency at a hospital for 9 months, the assignment end and they did not hire me. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

7. Alex Frizzell says:

I was let go today and was told the company no longer needs my services.

8. sharelle says:

I didnt mail my appeal letter back, can i possibly still receive benefits

• Baggie says:

Hi Sharelle,

You may not be able to receive benefits.

• sharelle says:

U may be wrong about that. I spoke with an appeal adjudicator and she informed me that i may still do my appeal as long as i have a reason as to why it wasnt mailed back in time. I may still receive my benefits

9. Richard M. Steele says:

I was just layed off from NASCAR out of Concord, NC. Do I file for unemployment benefits with NC?

10. Sam says:

I immigrated to the U.S. in October, 2012 but haven’t found a job yet. Am I, as a green card holder, eligible for unemployment benefits?

• Baggie says:

Hi Sam,

Unemployment benefits are available to workers who were laid off. These benefits are funded by the state government using the taxes collected from the employers. Since you have not earned in USA, you aren’t eligible to receive unemployment benefits.

11. Debbie says:

I am being furloughed 4 days a month and losing 20% of my pay due to the sequestration. the furlough will be effective 7/8/13 and is not expected to go into the next fiscal year. Am I able to receive partial employment to help bridge the gap? I am going to lose approximately $600.00 a month. Thank you for your time

• Baggie says:

Hi Debbie,

If you are working for less than 32 hours a week (in a general case), you are mostly eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Seek partial unemployment benefits if the reduction represents at least 50 percent of a normal 40-hour work week. Mostly, if the pay is significantly cut, then there are chances that you receive unemployment.

12. Andrew Bartlik says:

About a month ago I filed for unenployment benefits using your automated system. Since then I have been engaged in job search activities, but have landed nothing yet.

However, I have not yet recieved any benefits.

What do I need to do to get my benefits?

Andrew

• Baggie says:

Hi Andrew,

You seem to have filed your initial claim. Have you received a determination letter form the unemployment office? This will let you know if you have qualified to receive unemployment benefits from the state. It is necessary to search for job and good you have been doing your part. But, have you filed your weekly / biweekly claims? This is the second part of your unemployment claiming procedure where you are required to report to the unemployment office to let them know you have been unemployed and you are continuing to meet the requirements to receive unemployment benefits.
      If you have filed your weekly claims, you might want to check with a claims specialist to know what is delaying your pay.

13. frankie says:

I have recently been injured and unable to work due to doctors orders. its only a four month recovery so I cannot collect disability or workmans comp since it didn’t happen on the job. am I eligible for unemployment?

• Baggie says:

Hi Frankie,

If you are unable or unavailable to work, you will not be eligible to receive unemployment benefits. Short term disability benefits might be able to help.

14. alvin green says:

what would be the approx. pay out if a person had been making 3,000.00 per month.

• Baggie says:

Hi Alvin,

If a person earned $3000.00 every month for a year, the weekly benefit amount will be approximately $346.00. If the person is working part time or is receiving severance pay, holiday pay etc, then that amount will be deducted from the weekly benefit amount.

15. ruth nimocks says:

Our son quit a job as a server to move to another job market. He was approved for unemployment benefits. He drew benefits for 3 weeks and was then notified that his benefits were being terminated. Now he is being told that he has to pay back the monies he was paid. How can that be correct when the state approved him to draw benefits?

• Baggie says:

Hi Ruth,

The state government can withdraw benefits if they find the recipient not suitable. Some document produced might have been wrong or may be some calculation they carried out went wrong for them to withdraw his benefits. You should be able to collect the reasons from them for the same.

16. Joy says:

I was wrongfully terminated at my job of 2 years. My job is trying to fight me getting unemployment. So I have an active issue on my claim. I’m in the process of finding another job. I’ve still been filing my weekly claim certification even though I have not yet been accepted. My questions are
    1. If I do get accepted will I receive UI for the 2 weeks I filed weekly certification but had not yet been approved?
    2. If I find a job before I’m accepted and then report that I found a job, will they drop my claim or can they still accept me and give me UI for the 2 weeks I didn’t have a job?

• Baggie says:

Hi Joy,

1. If you are approved, you will have to serve a waiting week during which you have to file your weekly claims but you will not receive any payment. This means, out of the 2 weeks you have filed, you have chances of receiving benefits for only one week.

2. Weekly claims enable you to receive benefits for an unemployed week which passed by. So, once it is approved, you will receive benefits at the end of each unemployed week. If you find a job, your claim will be closed.

17. Heather says:

I am a full time server and the restaurant is closing. Do I qualify for unemployment benefits while I actively search for another job?

18. Stephanie Payne says:

If I have had my hours reduced from 40+/week Exempt status to 24/week, am I eligible for unemployment.

19. Lakisha Jones says:

Can I apply for partial unemployment if I do not work full time, but my hours were cut from 39 to 24?

20. Shana says:

I have a son in the hospital fighting for his life and since he has been in the hospital I have not given proof however I was told that upon my return I have 5 days to produce proof I have not gone back to work and I was denied FMLA and now I am being fired for not providing proof as of yet would I be eligible for UI

21. Dora says:

if i worked in Michigan & now residing in North Carolina, as a forced voluntary quit, my question do i apply under the state of Michigan or state of North Carolina?

22. Elizabeth Price says:

I have been working at my current job for 6 years 6 months. I may need foot surgery soon. If I go out on medical leave can I collect unemployment. If not what advice can you give me to do.
    Elizabeth Price

23. bill smith says:

I was “terminated” after 2 yrs with a company due to “breaking the rules”. I gave information to a customer (believing I was helping them) which a company my company did insurance work for considered a conflict of interest. An employee handbook excerpt was cited as a “rule” to follow. I never for one minute thought I was breaking a rule nor had I ever seen an employee handbook. The employee handbook is totally irrelevant anyway. I would give the same info again to help someone. I would never do anything intentional to jeopardize my employment nor harm the company I worked for. That being said, I KNOW there is more to my termination than that but that seems to be the companies crux for getting rid of me after 2 years. Like I said——-I did nothing I thought was wrongful at all. I really helped a customer without realizing I was going to get fired over it. Will this deny me unemployment compensation?

24. Marla Hatton says:

I was fired for being out sick to much. I offered doctors notes but they would not accept doctors notes saying it did not matter. Also the manager said she would give me a great referance to new employers. Is the determination up to the state or also the employer. I have sever depression and am under doctors care that is why I was out so much.

25. Tyson says:

If I collect unemployment in one state which I live now, but move to another state midway through the year. Am I able to claim unemployment in the new state of residence?

26. trey says:

I am a contractor in Afghanistan I am not laid off yet. My contract ends in March can I collect unemployment and I live in a different country till the next job.

27. john bauman says:

My full time hours have been cut from 40 work week to less than 20 hours per work week.Am I entitled to partial unemployment?

28. Charles Reaves says:

Are partial unemployment benefits available if one is working a 60 day temp job paying $11.50 an hour?

29. Karen Dorsett says:

I have worked for a company for 25 yrs. Work has become slow over the last 3-5 yrs and I have periodocally been signed up for unemployment benefits through my employer. I used to be able to draw if I only worked 18 hrs or less. Boss told me he talked with ESC and was told he could take an average of hours worked and reduce the required hours for drawing unemployment……….what i mean is, I used to able to work 18 or less and draw unemployment, but now he says that has dropped to 12 …..is this legal???

30. K. Camp says:

I’m having to leave my job due to my husband’s job relocation to another state. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits while I look for a job?

31. larry says:

my unemployment is late all yhe time my employer file when ever is this wrght

32. jamie gomez says:

i am 7 months pregnant with twins and my doctor has told me i have to stop working do to complications. Can i receive unemployment benefits???

33. Kim says:

What happens to my weekly claim if I obtain a new position mid-week? How does that effect that weeks claim?

34. Robyn says:

I am currently employed at a company in North Carolina and am the olny women in an office and ove ther past 4 weeks the work enviroment has become hostile. I am afraid to go to work tommorow as the office is on edge and the comments are violant comeents are getting worse. The HR deparment and management know of the issue. And dont seem to be handling the issue. Can I leave the company file for unemployeement as I feel threatened everyday for my saftey.

35. Stelle says:

I am confused because at the top of this page it says that you are eligible if you are under 21 and are a full-time student, but then below it says that you disqualify if you’re attending school. Can someone please explain this to me? I have been unemployed since June, and have applied everywhere and been unable to get a job. I am 19 years old and I start school in January as a college student and I need a job, or money somehow. Do I not qualify?

36. Sarah says:

Our company is shutting down for a week and i would like to file for unemployment benifits for that week. Does doing so effect any future benifit options or your standing with the company. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

37. tim beach says:

i had to quit my full time retaail sales job due to health reasons. I have not worked since Memorial Day and am having difficulty finding a job. I have never collected unemployment and want to know if I qualify for benefits

38. wallace mercereau says:

how long must I have been employed to be eligible

39. Penny says:

My husband has been transferred to another part of NC. I have leave my job of 11 months effective immediately. My company says they will not have any problems with my filing. Will I be eligible? What will I need?

40. David Dixon says:

My tier three ended on May 20th 2012. I was told I would only get six weeks of tier four. According to euc extension it states that north carolina without having the eb extension should have 16 weeks of tier four with tier three ending before june. Why would I not be eligible for sixteens weeks of tier four in north carolina?

41. Mon says:

My base period has 1 qtr of work in North Carolina and rest is California.Am I eligible for unemployment benefits

42. Sharon says:

I have just recently lost my job, aspart of a re-organization(no fault of mine). They gave me a sevence package of 8 weeks. Can I file for unemployment at the same time if I do not get employment? If I can, may i do it online or do I need to come to the office? When can I start filing?

• neha says:

Yes, you are eligible to apply for unemployment benefits as you have lost job through no fault of yours.

You can file online which takes about 20 minutes. When filing for benefits online, you will also have to register for work, so that potential employers can find your resume in a search of the Employment Security Commission’s database.

If you are applying online then it is not required to visit Employment Security Commission Office.

43. SHIRLEY PETERS says:

WHEN CAN I COLLECT IF I RECEIVED SEVERANCE PAY

44. Donna Valitzski says:

My son recently was laid off from his full time job of 6 months due to lack of work. He applied for NC unemployment and they informed him that his rate for the base period was not enough to file a claim. It looks as if the base period was the fourth quarter of 2011 and first quarter of 2012. Since his employment began in November 2011 and lasted through July 2, 2012 when should he file to be eligible? His net salary per week was $280.00 per week.

• Wwonkagirl says:

My husband had the same problem, have your son take his last pays tub to the unemployment office and file an appeal to have that quarter added. It may have helped us as this was just done today, we are keeping our fingers crossed 🙂

45. Darrell Whitehead says:

I was laid off from my job as an associate pastor in Wilmington. Do I qualify for unemployment? My church did not pay towards social security? Any help would be great.

46. rashmi says:

Yes you can claim the UI benefit from the State where you stay directly claiming from the state where you were working through online with your social security number and login details…

47. stephanie lee says:

I have just lost my job in Louisiana and am relocating to charlotte NC can I file for unemployment there and how do I go about getting the process started?

48. AnnMarie says:

What happens when a person comes back from surgery, has exhausted all PTO time and FMLA and goes back to work just to find they are unable to do their job because they are still having medical problems? Does that person qualify for unemployment compensation when the employer terminates them?

49. Mary says:

I will be moving to North Caroline in mid-June. How do I transfer my TN unemployment benefits to NC? Will I need to contact TN first to advise them of my move or once I get to NC, do I file for unemployment benefits with them and NC notifies TN of the move? Also, I have direct deposit – will that also transfer?

50. eric williams says:

My current management position is being eliminated and I have to reapply for a new management postion against the general population. If I’m not offered a new management position can I apply for unemployment benefits? (even if I am offered a part time position?) My pay would probably be significantly reduced given that scenario. Also, what must be considered is that I currently have a part time job elsewhere (about 20 hours weekly along with my full time management job. So, would I be eligible for unemployment if I refuse a part time position at the place that is currently my full time job?

Post Your Question