All States » Utah

Utah Unemployment Eligibility

In general, unemployment insurance benefits are paid to eligible workers who meet the following requirements.

Non Monetary Eligibility

  • Unemployed through no fault of your own
  • Are able and available to work full-time
  • Are actively seeking full-time work
  • Have registered for job placement assistance with the Department of Workforce Services and also at the Employment Center closest to you.
  • Have quit or get fired for “a good cause”

Monetary Eligibility

To qualify for benefits monetarily,

  • You must have earned at least $3300 during your Base Period. Additionally, your total base period earnings must be at least 1 ½ times the highest quarter of wages during your base period
  • If you do not have 1 ½ times your high quarter wages in your current base period, you may qualify under the same conditions by using your Alternate Base Period, which would be the most recent four completed calendar quarters

Normally, you will receive a “Notice of Monetary Determination” within three weeks from the date you file your claim for unemployment benefits. This notice includes the wages reported by your base period employer(s), your weekly benefit amount and number of weeks of unemployment benefits you may receive if you meet all eligibility requirements.

Eligibility Questions

Can I collect unemployment if I get fired in Utah?

Regardless of how you left your job, you can always file for unemployment benefits. Whether you’ll get those benefits is another story. Unemployment benefits are designed to help those who lost their jobs through reasons beyond their own control. Generally, fired employees can only get unemployment benefits if they can prove your termination was wrongful or against labor laws. In many cases, you’ll have to prove your case during a claims investigation or appeals process.

Can I draw unemployment if I am laid off?

To collect unemployment benefits, it can’t be your fault that you’re out of work. If you were laid off because the company wanted to save money or eliminate positions, you should be eligible for benefits.

When you get laid-off, it is not your fault. Getting laid-off doesn’t mean that you were fired or you did something wrong. It simply means that the company in which you worked doesn’t have enough work and could no longer afford to pay you for the job.

Once you get laid-off from your job, you should immediately apply for unemployment benefits.

What happens to my unemployment if I quit voluntarily?

A separation is considered voluntary if the claimant was the moving party in ending the employment relationship.  A voluntary separation includes leaving existing work, or failing to return to work after:

a)     an employer attached layoff which meets the requirements for a deferral

b)     a suspension, or

c)      a period of absence initiated by the claimant.

Failing to renew an employment contract may also constitute a voluntary separation.

Two standards must be applied in voluntary separation cases: good cause and equity and good conscience.  If good cause is not established, the claimant’s eligibility must be considered under the equity and good conscience standard.

Some of the examples of reasons for quitting are:

  1. Reduction of Hours
  2. Leaving to Attend School
  3. Religious Beliefs
  4. Health or Physical Condition
  5. Discrimination

For more information click here.

Can I attend school or training and collect unemployment benefits?

You can receive unemployment benefits if the Department determines your schooling or training does not interfere with your availability for full-time work. Under limited circumstances, school attendance that interfers with your availability for full-time work may also be approved

If I move to another state, will it affect my eligibility to continue collecting unemployment insurance in Utah?

You can continue to file against Utah, as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

  1. You must change your address/phone number immediately by logging in at and selecting “This is you and the above information is NOT correct”. Or you can contact the Unemployment Insurance Claims Center. Payments may be delayed if you do not report your current address.
  2. You must register for work in that state within three business days so that state may assist you in your work search.
  3. You will still be required to keep an accurate record of all employer contacts and the information can be requested at any time.
  4. You are required to notify the Claims Center if you travel or move to a location outside the United States.

More Questions?? —-> Read Eligibility Q & A Section

Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–>Calculate your benefits here

Questions & Answers

  1. Jonathan says:

    I am separating from the military in California where i have been for 5 years and moving to Utah upon separation. How can i file for unemployment in Utah?

  2. Scott Lawson says:

    if I leave work for heart problem will
    I be turn down for unemployment
    asked owner for part time or lite duty he said
    no he didn’t trust the other employee
    to show up when he needed them
    I put in for ssdi haven’t heard back
    from them

Post Your Question

forum link

1 × five =