California Unemployment Benefits

Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?

Are you willing to actively look for a job?

dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?

Did you earn at least $ 1125 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Jul 2016 - Sep 2016 to Apr 2017 - Jun 2017

question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?

Were you fired for no fault of your own?

Were you laid off for no fault of your own?

phone icon
CALL: 1-866-333-4606 which is the self service number. The Spanish line is available at 1-866-333-4606. To reach a customer service live person, dial 1-800-300-5616. This line answers your questions about Filing Claims, getting information and any general inquiries. Deaf and hard of hearing callers to contact CA unemployment office by using 1-800-815-9387, the TTY toll-free number. This will put you in direct contact with an EDD customer service representative who can provide you with unemployment insurance services.

you are not eligible

State Name: California

Wages Earned:

$

$

$

$

Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

State: California (CA)
    Phone Number: 1-866-333-4606 which is the self service number. The Spanish line is available at 1-866-333-4606. To reach a customer service live person, dial 1-800-300-5616. This line answers your questions about Filing Claims, getting information and any general inquiries. Deaf and hard of hearing callers to contact CA unemployment office by using 1-800-815-9387, the TTY toll-free number. This will put you in direct contact with an EDD customer service representative who can provide you with unemployment insurance services.
    File Online: http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/
    Major Towns: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Oakland, Santa Ana, Anaheim and Bakersfield

Current Unemploymnet Rate in California

California Unemployment Questions

How are UI benefits calculated?
    Benefits are calculated using an individual’s earnings during a specific 12 month period (this is called a base period). The base period begins approximately 15-17 months prior to the date the claim is filed. The amount paid each week is calculated based on the calendar quarter with the highest earnings during the base period.

What if I lost my job and cannot work because of the disaster or emergency?
    If you are unemployed due to a disaster or emergency, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. When you file your UI claim, you must explain that you were unemployed as a result of a disaster or emergency. UI claims can be filed online, by telephone, by mail, or by fax. Find information about filing a UI claim or call EDD at one of the numbers listed below in the Disaster Unemployment Assistance section. Individuals with current claims for benefits, who are unable to receive their Unemployment Insurance payments at their home due to the disaster or emergency, should contact their local post office.

What if I am sick or injured, and cannot work?
    An individual who files for UI benefits must be physically able to work, available for work, ready and willing to immediately accept work, and meet all other eligibility requirements before UI benefits can be paid. An individual who is not eligible for UI benefits because they are sick or injured, can file a claim for California’s State Disability Insurance (SDI) program. SDI provides short-term benefits to an eligible individual who suffers loss of wages because he/she is unable to work due to a non-work related illness or injury, or due to pregnancy or childbirth. SDI benefits can be paid only after an individual meets all of the basic eligibility requirements.

How does vacation pay or holiday pay affect my eligibility to receive unemployment insurance benefits?
    Vacation pay or holiday may be deducted from your benefits. It will depend on whether or not you have been given a definite date to return to work at the time you were placed on layoff status: If you are not given a definite date to return to work, any vacation pay or holiday pay paid to you when your job ends is not deducted from your weekly benefit amount.
    If you are given a definite date to return to work, any vacation or holiday pay for the period of the temporary layoff is deductible from your benefits. The Department will allocate vacation and holiday pay as follows:
    - Vacation pay will be allocated to the number of days you requested vacation or to the number of days your employer required you to use as vacation during the temporary layoff.
    - Holiday pay that is paid before you return to work will be allocated to the week(s) in which the holiday(s) fall. Holiday pay that is paid after you return to work will be allocated to the week that you return to work.

File unemployment extension in CA

Once you have exhausted your entitlement to your regular UI claim, you may be eligible to file the first extension. If you are eligible to file the first extension, the Department will automatically file the first extension and send you an additional Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. No action is required on your part.

Do I need to reapply for the second extension?
    Once you have collected all benefits payable on your first extension, you may be eligible to file the second extension. If you are eligible to file the second extension, the Department will automatically file the second extension and send you an additional Continued Claim Form, DE 4581. No action is required on your part.

Questions & Answers

1. kevin l says:

how do i apply for unemployment insurance when i have worked in calif for the past 3 yrs. I was a caregiver for my uncle estate and when he passed i moved back to georgia. now i cant find a job but the site said i have to apply in the state i last worked. how do i do this from ga

2. Rose Webb says:

How long am I entitled to unemployment benefits if I worked from Sept 2012 to July 2013.

3. Rickie A. Abell says:

Just became unemployed. I’m trying to find work. I’d rather not file for unemployment insurance immediately. I would like to avoid that initially. Is there a maximum time period for filing. Can I wait 4 weeks or 6 weeks before I file. Or do I have to file immediately?

Rick Abell

• Baggie says:

Hi Rick,

It is usually advisable to apply for benefits immediately after becoming unemployed. It must be possible to apply for benefits after few weeks. Delay in applying would delay in receiving benefits and sometimes it might take a couple of weeks before you receive your first pay.

4. Michael Scott says:

I retired 5/1/13 from the US Postal Service. I was employed in the state of Washington and have moved to Orange county, California as of 5/18/13. I am currently looking for employment. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

5. C. Corsello says:

Can you file for unemployment insurance after being on disability after layoff as long as there is still a quarter of salary left?

6. Edward says:

If I quit my job due to “emotional distress” and lack of growth within my company, would I be eligible to receive unemployment benefits?

7. Alisha says:

If I quit my job to relocate to another state because I can’t afford to live in California any longer and I have family in Oklahoma, can I collect unemployment until I find a job out there?

8. SAID ELKHETTAB says:

How can I reschedule appointment for unemployment extension benefits in Santa Ana, California?

9. Ken says:

Are commercial truck drivers able to get unemployment benefits if terminated after 13 years employment, over five with current company?

10. Brian Vale says:

If I moved from maryland to california with a transfer pending and it didn’t go through, then am I eligible for unemployment?

• Baggie says:

Hi Brian,

You are eligible for unemployment if you were laid off. Please check if you qualify by meeting other requirements in the state of Maryland (or the state where you worked before loosing the job).

11. jodi snyder says:

I’ve been on temp disability. Dr sending me back to work with limits that are unacceptable to where I work. My work wants me to go back or get let go
    Am I eligible for unemployment?

12. jeff ayers says:

i work for the DOD and will be furloughed starting in july one day a week for 11 weeks am i eligible for unemployment for the days im on furlough

• Baggie says:

Hi Jeff,

You can receive unemployment benefits if your earnings are greatly reduced and also your working hours. Usually anything between 32 – 40 hours of weekly work will be considered for reduced benefits.

13. segundo o flores says:

Please let me know if i’m elgible to collect unemployment benefits if i’m collecting social sec.
    At a present time i’m working 40 hrs for the last 9 years.
    Very truly yours.
    Segundo Flores

14. Richard Gilfillan says:

I was terminated from a full time job but I also receive social security benefits because I’m 70 years old. Can I claim unemployment?

15. Monica says:

I have a question. I work as a teacher’s aide. I have the summer off and do not get paid for it. I will be about two months without a paycheck and need the money. It is not as easy to get another summer job. Can I collect unemployment for these two months?

16. Connie Sherrell says:

I have filed for an unemployment claim and already had my phone interview just checking on the status of the claim can you let me know>?

17. christine taylor says:

I live in CA but my job is in Chattanooga TN.Would I clam it here or TN. Thank you

18. Jay Teague says:

Am I required to report weekend drill pay from the National Guard on my unemployment claim forms?

19. Debbie says:

A company shutdown of what period will trigger unemployment benefit eligibility in California.

20. mark says:

if i have an employee that becomes pregnant what are her rites? and what are mine? i want her back after the baby,but does she collect unemployment or disability ? thanks

21. Clara holguin says:

The company where I work is ending the contract at the facility where i currently work. The company does not have another facility that they can send me to work. There for I will not have a job do I qualify for unemployment.

22. Charles Watson says:

Godd morning, I am trying to find out if Federal Employees affected by the Sequester, will be eligible to file for unemployment benifits. I may be looking at being furloughed at least one day a week. Any help would be appreciated, thank you

23. James Vescera says:

Are California unemployment benefits subject to Federal or State income taxes? If so, is money withheld from each unemployment check?

24. Matthew B says:

I am curious if I am eligable or not… I dont think I am, but wanted to inquire. I am getting terminated, but only been working at my present employer for about 10 months and I when I did my taxes for 2012 it was only about 7000.00 or so from my current employer and yes I have a few more months to add to that…maybe 2 or 3. Also I am not a resident of california at all since all my ties and living status is still in Michigan. I am not on a lease at all here in California either…The only proof is my employment. Do I have a claim or no??

25. :Marge Gordon says:

If my work hours are cut from 8 hour day to 3.5 hours can I file for unemploment insurance? I will only be getting an 18 hour week?

• kathy says:

If you meet the minimum requirements of your state, you will be elligible. These requirements vry from state to state so check the website for your state.

26. Milagros Gonzalez says:

Hello:

I work with the County of Riverside, California as a senior accountant in a permanent position.

My husband is currently deployed in Afghanistan as an active duty Marine. He has received orders for his new duty station which will be New Orleans, Lousiana. For this reason, I will need to resign to my permanent position probably by the last week of March 2013.

My question is: Do I have the right to collect unemeployment until I find a new job in New Orleans due to the fact that my resignation is because of my husband’s military orders?

Please advise,

Milagros Gonzalez

27. Brenda Smith says:

I had an phone appointment for January 30th, didn’t know because i moved from Arizona to Long Beach California, when recevied my mail from EDD, too late, how do i get another appointment, not able to get through by telephone.

28. john rozetti says:

I call my staffing company every morning looking for work but there’s times they cant find me work.
    Can I collect on those days that there’s no work?

29. Daniel Moore says:

I just moved to CA because of my wife’s job transfer. I was laid off in Missouri prior to her transfer but was waiting for severance package to expire before applying for unemployment. Is it possible for me to file for unemployment here in California now that I live here?

30. TS says:

Frustrating .. There should be an automated number you can call to find out if your claim has been approved – the web page says if over 10 days and no contact from EDD – call them . But when you try the line says to many callers are already in Que and it hangs up on you – all day it does this… So now what? I’m already stressed about not having a job and having to apply for UI benefits, now I’m stressed because I’m following directions and I can’t get through! Why not put some of us with CSR experience back to work for EDD from home – a win win for the economy I would think!

31. Patricia Lawrence says:

If I am fired from an present job in San Diego CA will I be able to filed in another part of California due to my relocation?

32. Jose says:

I received an overpayment letter from Nevada . They said that California was suppose to pay me and said I had to deal with California to repay the amount. Can you help out?

33. Cindy says:

I have worked full time in/for a hospital for 16 years, the union came in a while ago and I have paid my dues as a good little girl during the entire time.. two months ago the Lab director told my co-worker and I that she was needing to cut our hours to 6 hours per day instead of 8, the union stepped in and said that it should go by seniority.. so my co-worker who refused to pay dues for several years until forced to do so just recently will get full time and i half time.. I was told by several people I could get unemployment to cover the half time until I could find something else .. is this true/possible??

34. Sam Merenda says:

Was fired but was awarded UI benifits. If re-hired, “with back pay,” do I have to repay my UI benifits?

35. Ken Brookes says:

I just got a 3 week notice of layoff.
    When should I apply for unemployment?
    Is there a waiting period before I file?

36. Nick Sobhi says:

I was suspended on 10/2/2012 from my work to investigate a bogus accusation for sharing a personal item with other employees that management claims may have been a conflict of interest. I was allowed to return to work on 11/5/2012 when the company could not justify the false accusations. However, the company is not willing to pay my lost wages for the duration of suspension. Am I allowed to file for unemployment benefit to help me recover part or all of my lost wages? Please advise.

37. Tony Tristan says:

My wife was hired by a hospital as a casual. But last month she maybe worked 20 hours and this month she hasn’t worked at all.
    What could she do. She was on unemployment till this March.

38. Trudy says:

I had my phone interview on the 18th and it has been over 10 days. How long does it take to get either a denial or a payment. It is now 12 days.

39. Joe Murphy says:

I currently have a full time and a part time job. I am going to be laid off from my part time job. It is being eliminated. Will I be able to collect unemployment from the loss of the second job?

40. Norma N says:

In California if I retired at 55yrs and my retired income is less
    than the maximum amount allowed can I still receive unemployment benefits?

41. Ryan akin says:

I missed a telephone conference and they stopped my claim and every time I call it just says ther a high call volume..

42. Lewis Howell says:

I want to apply for my UI? How do I do it online?

Beau

43. earl pappas says:

I GOT DISCHARGED AFTER 14 WEEKS ON DISABILTY
    CAN I RECEIVE UNEMPLOYMENT BENIFITS?
    UNVOLITARY DISCHARGED. NO WORK AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS RELEASED BY DOCTOR TO RETRUN TO WORK AFTER 14 WEEKS ON DISABILITY.

44. Pam DeAngelis says:

I will be laid off on 8/8/12 from my job. I am a new home sales agent that has sold homes that have not closed yet. Will I be able to receive the commisions and continue to receive benefits?

• rashmi says:

Ofcourse yes, if your employer has paid for the unemployment tax then you should be able to get the benefits…

45. Tim Banhidy says:

What does it mean to file a claim. Is it the date I initially applied for unemploymenbt or the last date I recieved unemployment benefits?

• Ray says:

Filing initial claim is generally referred to applying for benefits for the first time. You will. You will need to request payments every week onwards.

46. MaryAnn Parker says:

Hello – I’ve just moved back to San Francisco from New York. I have been working in NY for the passed 3 years but found NY was just not for me. I was collecting unemployment for a while before I moved to NY from a previous employer (in SF) but did not finish collecting all of the unemployment funds due to me. Can I collect unemployment in SF until I find employment again? Thank you

47. kevin crowl says:

i have been unemployed since april and i can not get anyone on the phone and cant get the website to work. can someone call me at 402-689-2487 so i can apply for unemployment insurance.

• rashmi says:

you should be able to contact them either on phone or online.. as a tip consider calling on weekdays so that the line would be free to reach…

48. Jack "Jay" Carlson, Jr says:

I have been on State Disability since 9-11. The disability insurance as it now stands expires 6-1-12. At this time, it is unknown whether or not disability will continue..(Hopefully not)..

I am currently unemployed. If disability terminates on 6-1-12, I will be able for a period of time while seeking new employment be eligble to collect unemployment?? Do I have this thought correct, and if so what if any particulars are involved?? Please advise Thank You Jack “Jay” Carlson, Jr

49. […] claim while others are under the regular unemployment claim. To know more about this check out out California Unemployment Benefits […]

50. […] can refer unemployment benefits in California for more details on unemployment benefits in the […]

• rashmi says:

If you are currently receiving benefits in one state and you move to another, you still receive benefits from the original state. You receive benefits from the state in which you worked for the past 18 months. All you have to do is provide your new address to your “original” state of residence and they will mark you as an interstate payee. You then continue to file your weekly certification as normal. You will receive the exact same amount of benefits, it does not change. You are required to seek employment in the new state you moved to. It’s that simple.

Post Your Question