• check eligibility
  • benefits calculator
  • apply for benefits
State: Connecticut (CT)
Phone Number:(203) 859-3200(8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday); Other Numbers : TTY/TDD - (203) 859-3313
Major Towns:Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, Danbury, New Britain, West Hartford, Meriden, and Bristol
Current Unemploymnet Rate in Connecticut

Connecticut Unemployment Questions

What is new about applying for unemployment benefits?
Applying for unemployment benefits is now done over the phone. Connecticut is just one of many states using technology to provide a more convenient and efficient system for filing unemployment claims.

Why is this change being made?
The computerized system provides added consistency and efficiency. By streamlining the process, Department of Labor employees can now focus more on providing employment services, including job postings and information, job search workshops, career counseling, and wage and business trends. This provides people with better opportunities to get back to work more quickly.

What is the name of this new system?
The computerized system is known as the 'Dial to File' TeleBenefits program. Two types of unemployment claims will be filed using this system:
  1. initial claims, for people opening a new claim, and
  2. continued claims, for people who are continuing to receive weekly benefits. Up until now, only continued unemployment claims were processed by telephone
How does the 'Dial to File' TeleBenefits system work?
Once the system is phased in, both initial and continued unemployment claims will be taken over the phone. Callers dialing a local telephone number will be connected to an automated system. To establish a claim, callers will be required to answer a series of questions using either the phone keypad or speaking their answers into the phone. After responding to a series of questions, the caller is connected to a Dial to File' TeleBenefits customer service representative who assists the caller in completing the claim. Representatives are also available to assist callers having difficulty responding to automated-system questions.

When will the new program begin?
The 'Dial to File' system will be phased in throughout the state, beginning June 25, with complete phase-in to conclude in August. If an area is not yet using the new system, callers will be instructed by operators to visit the Department of Labor at any of the One-Stop Career Centers. The first areas to adopt the 'Dial to File' program will be Danielson, Willimantic, Norwich, New London, Danbury, and Ansonia. The second phase will cover the Waterbury, Hamden, Enfield, Hartford and Torrington areas. The final phase will include the Bridgeport, Stamford, Meriden, Middletown, New Britain and Bristol areas.

How will I know which number to call?
Individuals should receive a separation packet from their employer that lists the local phone numbers to call. Individuals who do not receive a separation packet can find the list of numbers on DOL's Web site at or call their local Department of Labor office listed in the blue pages of the phone book.

What is a separation packet?
The separation packet known as the (UC-62T/UC-61) is a comprehensive guide to filing for unemployment benefits under the new program. The packet includes the UC-61 Separation Notice, also known as the "pink slip," to be completed by the employer. In addition to local DOL numbers, this packet provides the questions that will be asked by the 'Dial to File' TeleBenefits automated system, along with the list of information a caller will need to have handy when filing a claim.

What if I don't receive a separation packet?
Although callers do not need a separation packet to call the 'Dial to File' TeleBenefits system, the packet will help speed up the claim process considerably since callers will know in advance what questions will be asked, and what type of information they will need to provide.

When should a person call to apply for unemployment benefits?
Your claim is effective at the beginning of the week in which you call. A claim should be filed as soon as your job ends. If your social security number ends in 0 or 1, you may call any day of the week. If it ends in 2,3,4 or 5, you can call Tuesday through Friday. Any number may call Wednesday through Friday. On a week with a Monday holiday, 0,1or 2 may call on Tuesday. Any number may call Wednesday through Friday. TeleBenefits for Initial Claims operates Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

What if a caller is unable to use the phone due to a disability?
Deaf or hearing-impaired callers may reach the 'Dial to File' TeleBenefits system by calling 1-800-842-9710. Individuals with disabilities or barriers preventing them from using the telephone to file a claim can also visit the closest Department of Labor office at the address provided in the blue pages of the telephone book. All offices are accessible to people with disabilities.

Questions & Answers

37 thoughts on “Connecticut Unemployment Benefits”

  1. Christine Meagher says:

    I have worked for company for 8 years past 3 in Automotive same company new District Manager is discriminating against me because I’m a female and has been harassing me It has affected my emotional state if I quit can I collect

    1. Sam says:


      You can be eligible if you quit due to hostile/harassment at workplace. Make sure to keep supporting documents handy in case of a dispute by your employer during claims processing.

  2. Rich says:

    Hello, i have a question. Is taking care of a sick family member ok for eligibility? Also it says where a work condition that aggravates a medical condition. As the above post states why would rehab not be appropriate if the job aggravates hi alcoholism?

    1. Sam says:


      You may not be eligible for unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  3. sean says:

    I recently posted asking you if I can collect unemployment after being fired for going into rehab. Your answer was I can only collect ui if I was fired for involuntary reasons. So does this mean since I went into treatment I cannot collect ? I went into treatment on my own free will and not at the request of my employer. I had previously gone to treatment and they were very supportive but decided to fire me this time.

    1. Sam says:


      That is correct. It can be considered voluntary. I suggest you call the Unemployment Office in your state for clarification in this regard.

  4. JUDY says:

    I am working for a company that I worked for 38 yrs come june 23,2018, as of august 10,2017 I went part time down to 20 hrs from 40 hrs and also collecting social security, if they laid me off can I collect unemployment?

    1. Sam says:


      If you’re laid off due to involuntary reasons, you can collect. You can also be eligible to collect partial UI benefits for the hours lost.

  5. Jane says:

    why would claim be posted to account and then voided?

    1. Sam says:


      Please call the Claims Center on the phone numbers provided to find out the exact reason for an appropriate action.

  6. Jen says:

    in order to collect unemployment, how many days are the minimum number of days to qualify?
    can I collect for 4 days if my company is closing for a week but 1 days is paid?

    1. Sam says:


      Temp. off from work may not qualify. Please call the Unemployment Office to clarify.

  7. kyle says:

    We just had a baby and my fiancĂ© is unable to work for a while and also can’t do much herself. ive been with her for two weeks and now I’m out of paid time and back at work. luckily her mother will be with her this week but I don’t know what will happen after that.. am I eligible for unemployment to take care of her?

    1. Sam says:


      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  8. Darryl says:

    I reside in Connecticut. My position is being eliminated and I am to be surplus in Dec. I am eligible to retire, but just barely. Since the monthly pension payout will not be enough to survive on, I am not eligible for Social Security for several more years and I am loosing the job of no fault of my own, am I eligible to receive unemployment?

    1. Sam says:


      You should be eligible if you continue looking for employment. The pension and SS benefits will have a bearing.

  9. Andy Pagano says:

    I have been given the choice of going on half time or termination. If I choose termination I will receive some severance. Do I qualify for unemployment, and does the severance factor in in some way? Thanks

    1. Sam says:

      You will be eligible to draw UI benefits after the expiry of severance payout.

  10. padjossa kpademre says:

    I try to call so busy that no one able to answer me since last two weeks.

    1. Martin says:

      Please try calling during the off-peak hours or consider visiting an office in the vicinity for an update.

  11. Jennifer says:

    I started work in March. We may be laid off any day now. I am eligible for benefits?

    1. Martin says:

      Please use the Calculator available on this website to determine eligibility.

      You should have earned the required income and have sufficient employment in the last 4-5 calendar quarters.

  12. Janet says:

    Is there ANY extensions available after 26 weeks of benefits?

    1. Martin says:

      The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  13. Ron says:

    Is there a automatic Extention after 26 weeks?

    1. Martin says:

      Please note there is no federal extension available.

  14. George A Tatten Jr says:

    I’m retired from the Army after 20years and 9 months of service I have a VA Claim in but will not be settle for 2 more years. Can I able to received unemployment claim.

    1. Adrian says:

      Please provide more details surrounding your question.

      What claim do you’ve pending from VA?

  15. Jennifer says:

    When you have been let go (fired) from your job what is the deadline on time to file a claim for unemployment benefits?

    1. Adrian says:

      The sooner,its better.

  16. Stephen says:

    If I collect Conneticut unemployment but move out of state, am I still eligible?

    1. Adrian says:

      Please call the customer service of the labor dept in CT to see if they have an reservations regarding your movement.

      Each state has its own rules.

  17. abe says:

    i am in a proccess for my green card i been working since 2012 and paying taxes sss state tax can i collect if i dont have my gree card number yet.

  18. mark says:

    can i collect unemployment benefits in the state of connecticut if i was working at a temp agency for the past 8 months?

    1. Baggie says:

      Hey Mark,

      You can collect unemployment benefits if you have been laid off or lost job through no fault of your own. Also you need to have earned sufficient wages in the base period to be eligible for unemployment benefits. Please have a look at the eligibility requirements and file for UC.

  19. Steve Smith says:

    I worked the last 4 months in MA., but I reside I CT. What state do I file in?

    1. clarke says:

      I was collecting uneemployment in conn. but i live in mass.. they say i’m not eligble for extended beifits in mass..Because of the unemployment is below the national average. what does that mean??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer a simple Math question: *

See More Answered Questions