All States » Hawaii

Hawaii Unemployment Application

If you are applying for unemployment insurance benefits to file a new claim, you can file online, use phone service or report in-person to a local claims office.

To apply online, you must file between the hours of 6:30 amto11:00 pm, Monday to Friday or between 9:00 am to11:00 pm on weekends and holidays (Hawaii Standard Time).  When filing online, you must print your confirmation page at the end and follow all instructions provided to you on the website after your application has been completed.

To apply by phone in Hawaii, call Hawaii Tele-Claim at 643-5555.  If you are in another State, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or Canada, call 1-877-215-5793.  If you are anywhere else outside of Hawaii, you will not be able to complete your call and file a claim because Hawaii does not reciprocal claim filing agreement with other countries.

If you are hearing-impaired, call your Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) and advise the TRS assistant to call 643-5555 and select Option 2 from the menu.

Hours of calling:

  • Sunday 9:00 am to 11 pm,
  • Monday to Thursday 6:30 am to 11 pm,
  • Friday 6:30 am to 4:30 pm, Hawaii Standard Time.

(If Friday is a holiday inHawaii, then Thursday’s hours will be from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm)

Note: Services not available on Saturday & Holidays.

Attention:  Calls to Hawaii Tele-Claim may not be connected if you are using a cellular phone in the State of Hawaii with an out-of-state phone number or if you are outside the State of Hawaii and using a cellular phone with a Hawaii number.  If this situation occurs, use a landline to place your call.

Information needed while filing:

  1. Your social security number
  2. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you need your alien registration number.
  3. Your employment information for the past 18 months, including employer’s name, address, zip-code, phone number, dates of employment, and reason for separation.
  4. If you were separated from active duty military, you need your DD214 member 4 copy. Do not delay your filing if you do not have your DD214. You can provide this documentation at a later date.
  5. If you were in federal employment, you need your SF8 or SF50 or paystubs.

Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–>Calculate your benefits here

Read Frequently Asked Questions for Claimants in Hawaii

Unemployed?? ——>Check your eligibility for unemployment benefits

Questions & Answers

  1. Kevin says:

    I was offered from my company, a voluntary early retirement package with a pension and severance. This is one option and the other option was to stay with the company knowing they will cut the workforce by 8-10% by a certain date but unknown as to what the compensation will be. I took the voluntary early retirement option to be on the safe side. Since it involves a total plan of workforce reduction, am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

    • Sam says:


      It looks like your separation from the job was totally involuntary. If the severance is a one-time payout, you can apply almost immediately.

  2. Jimmy says:

    I was forced to leave work for 2 months in order to care for a sick family member. Am I eligible to apply for unemployment for time that I will not be working? What are the requirements?

    • Sam says:

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  3. stella says:

    I was given an option by employer resign or be fired, I chose to be fired will there be a problem getting unemployment ins

  4. Robert Sittler says:

    I was laid off from work the end of July 2015. If I file for unemployment benefits in Hawaii and I move to the mainland to seek work, can I continue with unemployment benefits from Hawaii until I find a job on the mainland? Thank you

    • Jeff says:

      I guess, there should be no problem with that.

      Please inform the labor authorities before making a move to keep them in the loop.

  5. Claire Baguilod says:

    I am a full time working military spouse in the state of Hawaii since September 2012 and I will be relocating with my husband due to his permanent change of station to Italy. I would like to know if I am eligible to apply for unemployment benefit. My tentative last day of work is on 23 May 2014 and we are scheduled to move out on 02 June 2014. If I am eligible to apply, what are the requirements? Thank you for your assistance.

    • Adrian says:

      Your question on eligibility calls for multiple assessments.

      The best thing to do is to check with the labor dept in your state.

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *