This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Idaho Unemployment Benefit Questions

What if I worked in Idaho but live in another state?

Persons living in another state who want to claim unemployment insurance benefits against the State of Idaho must meet all the eligibility requirements.

You may file your claim by calling the Idaho Interstate Claims Unit at (208) 332-3574. The hours for the Idaho Interstate Claims Unit are from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Mountain Time Monday through Thursday, 9:00 AM to noon on Friday.

If you are filing a claim against Idaho from another state and have any questions about your claim, please call: (208) 332-3574, or write to:

Interstate Claims Unit

317 W Main St

Boise, ID 83735

Can I file a claim against another state?

Yes, if you reside in Idaho now but all of your wages during the base period1 were earned in one other state, you may file an interstate claim2. The District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are considered “states” for UI claims filing purposes.

If you have earned wages in two or more states during the base period, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands are considered “states” for UI claims filing purposes.

If you have earned wages in Idaho and at least one other state during the base period, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands, you may request the wages be combined by transferring them to the state in which you file your claim. This is called a combined-wage claim3. Canada does not participate in the combined wage agreement.

What if I am going to move out of Idaho?

If you are looking for work outside of Idaho or planning to move to another state, it is very important to notify the office where you filed your UI claim. They can provide information on transferring your claim.

Does receiving Social Security affect my benefits?

In Idaho, there is no reduction of your unemployment benefits because you collect Social Security. You must be available for work and looking for work with no restrictions just as all other claimants.

Does receiving a pension affect my benefits?

If you have actually retired, and are not seeking employment, you are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits.  Also, if you quit your most recent job to retire, you may not be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits until you work again and earn at least 14 times your weekly benefit amount and then become unemployed through no fault of your own.

However, if you are retired and are actively seeking full time work, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits under the same conditions as all other unemployed workers.

Your weekly benefit amount may be reduced, however, if you receive a pension from an employer for whom you worked in the 18 months before you filed your claim and you did not contribute to the pension. The reduction will be the weekly equivalent of your pension. If you made any contribution to the pension, there will be no reduction.

  1. I live in Idaho but work full time in Washington. Do I apply for unemployment in Idaho or Washington?

  2. Moved from Idaho to Arizona, tried filing on line thru Idaho, got so far and it stopped me and said I have to show proof of who I am by going to DES office in Idaho.
    Can’t I just file thru Arizona..?

    • Eric,

      Ideally, you should be filing from your employment was based. If you’re having issues, please call the Unemployment Office.

  3. I have been laid off from one of my part time jobs that I started in Sept. I will also be laid off from my other part time job when the school year ends. Prior to both of these jobs, I was a stay at home caregiver for my Grandchildren for eight months so did not draw a paycheck. If I file for unemployment compensation in June will I be able to collect it. The whole base period thing is very confusing. Thank you.

    • I am not sure if you can be eligible to claim Unemployment Benefits on the basis of the part-time jobs.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  4. I’m an adjunct teacher and have been cut to one lab class this semester instead of two classes. Can I apply for unemployment benefits? I’ve been working since Jan. 2014.

    • Not sure if you will be eligible due to the nature of work contract.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state for further information.

    • Please consider filing during the last week of your employment or immediately after your “Last Working Day”.

  5. can I collect unemployment insurance Benefits While still working. They cut hours in half from my full time hours of 40 hrs a week. now at 23 hrs would like to know can I collect the difference in my benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *