This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Indiana Unemployment Application

Indiana Unemployment Benefits

Indiana unemployment insurance benefits offer a financial safety net for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Administered by the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, UI benefits provide temporary income support during periods of unemployment. This allows Indiana residents to pay bills while seeking new employment.

How to apply for Indiana unemployment compensation

Apply online:

The only way to apply for the Indiana unemployment benefit is online. If you don’t have access to a computer with internet access, you can use the free resource room at your local WorkOne Center.

Once you are logged in, simply follow the onscreen instructions. You will be asked to provide information about your work history, income, and the reason for becoming unemployed.

Information needed to apply

To save time and prevent any delays in your benefits, gather the following information and have it ready. If you are visiting a WorkOne Center to use their public

computers to apply, please bring this information with you.

  • Full name, birth date, and full address including zip code
  • Your Social Security number (required for processing your unemployment claim)
  • Your driver’s license or state ID
  • Employment history for the past two years, including start and end dates
  • Info on any work you did in another state in the last two years, and that employer’s address
  • Reasons for leaving all jobs you’ve had in the past two years
  • Pay stubs from your current or last job
  • Last working day if you received Workers’ Compensation
  • Contact information for all employers over the last two years
  • Details about any special payments you’ve received or will get, like vacation or severance pay, retirement accounts, or pensions
  • Email and password for using Uplink, the online system for Indiana unemployment insurance
  • Union membership details, if applicable, including when you last paid your dues

Verifying your identity

When applying for Indiana unemployment insurance compensation, you are required to verify your identity. The Indiana Department of Workforce Development uses to make sure that your identity is verified securely before giving access to unemployment benefits. This partnership helps prevent unemployment fraud and ensures that benefits go only to those who are eligible.

Information needed for an account

To sign up for an account, you’ll need the email address that’s linked to your Uplink account. Your Social Security number is also required to confirm your identity.

Make sure you have a mobile phone equipped with a camera, as this will be used for identity verification. You’ll also need a valid photo ID. This could be a driver’s license, passport, passport card, or state-issued ID card.

Work Registration Enrollment

When you file for UI benefits, the Indiana DWD automatically sets up an Indiana Career Connect account for you. This account uses the same login info as your Uplink account.

You have 10 days from when you first file your unemployment claim to sign up for work through Indiana Career Connect and add your resume. If you don’t, you won’t get any UI benefits. You need to complete this step to become eligible for Indiana unemployment benefits.

To get started, log into Indiana Career Connect. Fill out your profile and create a resume. The site has a resume builder that lets you look for jobs in Indiana. Employers searching for workers will be able to see your resume.

What happens next?

After submitting your initial unemployment claim, there’s usually no need to reach out to the DWD or your local WorkOne office unless you’re told to do so. Your eligibility for benefits is being assessed during this time.

Within a 10-day timeframe, you’ll get a Monetary Determination of Eligibility document. This will appear in the Correspondence History of your Uplink Claimant Self-Service account. An email will also alert you that this document is ready for review.

It’s important to note that this determination simply calculates your weekly benefit amount in case you are deemed eligible – it is not a confirmation of benefits. If you find inaccuracies in the wages listed, instructions are included so you can file an appeal.

Always keep an eye on your Uplink account for important updates, such as determinations of eligibility and the status of your benefit vouchers.

Unless you opt for notifications sent through the mail, DWD will post notices and eligibility decisions in your Correspondence History. Each time a notice or decision gets posted, you’ll get an email.

If you are approved for benefits, you will need to meet ongoing eligibility requirements by submitting weekly claim vouchers and documenting approved work search activities. You can collect benefits for up to 26 unless a high unemployment rate triggers an Indiana unemployment extension.

  1. If I file for unemployment cause I’m on medical leave since May 21st .can I get unemployment from my employee.tried to sign up .but I have a new email address and pass word.wouldnt let me change it.i haven’t draw unemployment for 11 years.

    • Garrie,

      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  2. Ive worked at my job for 10 months. Always worked no less than 30 hrs a week some tomies over 40. I am lucky to work 10 hrs. A week now because were so slow. I work for a hotel. Am i eligible for partial unemployment till i get my regular hrs. back?

  3. In the last 18 months I have worked in Indiana and Michigan but I live in Illinois. Where do I file for my unemployment or do I file unemployment in all states? Seems to be several answers for this, from what I have researched most every recommendation is to apply ion the state of my residence and it will work out everything else. At the same time if I so choose then I can also apply in any of the states in which I have worked. I am better off to have my home state handle it, as the maximum allowable amount is more in my home state as well. What are your thoughts on this dilemma?

    • Sophia,

      You may be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  4. The corporation I work for has recently made cuts. I was hired in as a supervisor and the position is no longer available due to the cutbacks. I was offered a lower paying position within the company, am I available for Unemployment?

    • Dan,

      UI benefits are offered to those who lose employment in full or in part. I suggest you call the Unemployment Office for clarification about your qualifications.

  5. I was fired unexpectedly on the spot and was told that there were rumors of me being unhappy then was told the quality of my work was being affected by my unhappiness. I was never informed of any deficiencies of my performance until the day they let me go. Can I be denied unemployment for the reasons mentioned? I know the real reason for my removal is to hire a family friend but of course no way to substantiate that.

    • Larry,

      This is a tricky situation. If you can prove that you were let go due to no fault of yours, you can claim UI benefits. Either way, you can still consider applying and see how it goes. You can always file an “Appeal”.

  6. Consistent blaming of bad production from other shift find notes on the company calendar about we should quit and work at a gas station ,this is in a shared office space have brought this up to the boss that other shifts slander and talk down to us ,is this harassment and if I walk out can I collect unemployment

    • Bob,

      If you can prove the harassment through supporting documents, you can be eligible. Please call the Unemployment Office for a detailed discussion before making a decision to quit.

  7. I am retired and on a pension from Iowa. I have worked at a local golf course for the past 11 years. The golf course is in the process of closing due to financial instability. Am I eligible for UI even though I am pensioned?

    • Steve,

      If your employer is paying unemployment taxes, you can be eligible. Also, please call the Unemployment Office in your state to ascertain the effect of pension.

  8. I recently got fired from my job because they said I couldn’t work anymore hours then I did which wasn’t true at all I went in early stayed late when need so can I apply for unemployment and how do I do that if im able to thank you

  9. I got fired recently from my retail job, worked there roughly six months. I’ve been unemployed for roughly two or three. How long must I wait before being able to apply?

    • How long after I’ve been fired can I still apply for unemployment benefits? It has been 2 1/2 months since I worked at my previous job

      • Kathy,

        To be eligible, a claimant is required to have active employment and earnings in the last 4-5 calendar quarters. Please use the benefits calculator available on this website.

    • Timothy,

      If you got fired due to voluntary reasons such as performance issues, you will not qualify. One can apply immediately after being unemployed.

  10. My hours have been cut from 34-39 hours per week to never more than 28 hrs per week .The grocery store I work for changed policy. Do I qualify for partial unemployment?

    • The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  11. I worked from 3/2012 to 10/2015 in Indiana. My employer is based in Illinois. I am domiciled in Arizona. The project was completed and our field office was closed Oct. 31, 2015. Am I eligible to file for unemployment in Indiana? Thanks.

    • Yes, please. You can apply from the state where your employment was based.

      Please confirm with your employer before making an application.

    • Extension(EUC) is not available at this time across the country.

      Please check regularly with the labor dept in your state and apply if/when extended.

  12. i work for atemp agency pro resoures and their client ended my assignment. will i be able to collect unemployment.

    • Please check with the labor dept in your state.

      UI benefits are generally extended to those who are employed on rolls of a particular company.

  13. I was wonder if I would be able to get employment since I had to quit my job. My husband is on disability and I just recently got custody of 2 of my grandkids. Ages 7 and 3. I couldn’t afford daycare for 3 year old my husband could not take care of him. So there for I had to quit my job. Please if there is anyway I may get help please let me kno. Thank You

    • Please be aware that UI benefits is extended only to those citizens who become unemployed involuntarily.

      You must be actively looking for a job to be able to apply.

  14. the web site does not let me reset my password and the phone number is plays in a constant loop. Is there a number that I can have to contact a person to discuss my benefits?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *