This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

  • check eligibility
  • benefits calculator
  • apply for benefits
State: Kansas (KS)
Phone Number:Toll-free number, if you live outside the local calling area: (800) 292-6333. Local numbers: Kansas City Area: (913) 596-3500, Topeka Area: (785) 575-1460, Wichita Area: (316) 383-9947.

Weekly Cliams Numbers
Monday – 12:00 a.m. to Midnight
Tuesday through Friday – 7:00 a.m. to Midnight
Saturday – 9:00 a.m. to Midnight
Sunday – 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. and Noon to Midnight

Kansas City Weekly Claim Line: (913) 287-6913
Topeka Weekly Claim Line: (785) 296-4337
Wichita Weekly Claim Line: (316) 269-0633
Note: There is no toll-free number for weekly claims.

Major Towns:Wichita, Overland Park, Kansas City, Topeka, Olathe, Lawrence, Shawnee, Manhattan, Lenexa, and Salina
Current Unemploymnet Rate in Kansas

Kansas Unemployment Questions

What is the State Extended Benefits Program?
The State Extended Benefits Program is designed to provide additional benefits to unemployed Kansans during periods of high unemployment. The program becomes effective once the state’s average seasonally adjusted unemployment rate reaches 6.5 percent or higher for three consecutive months. Under the program, individuals who exhaust their regular unemployment benefits and, in this case, any benefits through the federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, may qualify for up to 13 additional weeks of benefits.

Am I eligible for state extended benefits?
To be eligible for state extended benefits, you must meet the following criteria:
o Exhausted regular state unemployment insurance benefits
o Exhausted original EUC benefits
o Exhausted Tier II EUC benefits
o If your Tier II EUC benefits exhausted after Nov. 22, 2009, you must also have exhausted Tier III EUC benefits prior to receiving state extended benefits
o Not eligible for a new state unemployment insurance claim in any state or in Canada
o Currently unemployed or working less than full time

What are extended benefits and the Emergency Unemployment Compensation 08
(EUC08) program? Extended benefits are additional unemployment insurance benefits that are available to unemployed workers when they have exhausted their regular UI benefits. Extended benefits programs are enacted during periods of high unemployment. The EUC08 extended benefits program is a federally funded emergency program providing much needed help for many Kansans and their families while they continue to look for work. Effective July 6, 2008, the President approved up to 13 weeks of EUC08 benefits to unemployed workers. On Nov. 21, 2008, the President signed an extension into law, adding up to seven additional weeks of extended benefits for Kansas workers. This brings the total maximum EUC08 benefit to 20 weeks in Kansas. The first week for which the extension benefits could be paid was the week beginning November 23, 2008.

Who can apply for EUC08 extended benefits?
The EUC08 program extends UI benefits to those who have exhausted their regular UI benefits. If eligible, applicants could receive up to 20 additional weeks of UI benefits. Eligible workers include those who:
o Have filed a valid unemployment (UI) claim and their most recent benefit year ended on or after May 1, 2007
o Have exhausted all regular UI benefits
o Have no rights to regular unemployment compensation
o Have had:(1) earnings from covered employment equal to or greater than 1.5 times the wages earned during the highest wage quarter, (2) 40 times the weekly benefit amount or (3) 20 weeks of full-time insured employment or the equivalent in insured wages in the base period of the most recent entitled claim
o Are fully or partially unemployed on or after July 6, 2008
o Are legally authorized to work in the United States
o Meet all regular unemployment eligibility criteria such as being ready, willing and able to work

Kansas unemployment benefits eligibility criteria

You are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit your job without good cause, effective the day after your separation, and continuing until you become re-employed and have insured earnings of at least three times your weekly benefit amount.

You may still be eligible if you:
o Quit due to illness or injury upon the advice of a licensed and practicing health care provider.
o Quit temporary work to return to your regular full-time employer.
o Quit to enlist in the armed forces of the United States, but were rejected or delayed from entry.
o Quit due to working conditions hazardous to your physical, mental or moral well being.
o Quit due to unwelcome harassment by the employer or another employee.
o Quit to accept better work.
o Quit because the employer requested that you violate an ordinance or statute.
o Quit due to a violation of the work agreement.
o Quit due to a personal emergency.
o Quit due to the voluntary or involuntary transfer of your spouse from one job to another.
o Quit to enter training approved under the Federal Trade Act of 1974.
o Quit due to circumstances resulting from domestic violence.
For details concerning the 12 exceptions, you may obtain a copy of K.S.A. 44-706 (a) online at

After completing a temporary job assignment, you may be disqualified if you fail to request an additional assignment on the next workday if required by the employment agreement.

Questions & Answers

  1. I have been employed with my current employer for aprox 7 mo. In the last two weeks i have been sent home early several times and this last thursday was told to go home after 4 hrs and not to come in on friday due to lack of work… How many hours can i work and still claim UI?

  2. I have worked at this company for 13 years. They are selling the company. The people purchasing the company do not have a good reputation for paying contractors and hourly employees. The people purchasing this company bought the last company I worked for. They kept me on so they could get new people hired and for teaching the ropes to them. Then they dismissed me. I would like to know if I choose not to work for the new owners if they offer me employment, am I eligible for unemployment? I doubt they will keep me on without changing my pay and benefits. Thank you for your answer.

    • Dawn,

      Unfortunately, UI benefits are only extended to claimants who lose their employment due to involuntary reasons. Please call the Unemployment Office for more.

      • I have been trying to get through for the last four weeks I am completely broke you are my only source of income at the moment I really need to speak to somebody I was receiving it they started this new program I haven’t received anything for at least two weeks before that I really really need your help please please have somebody respond to me I keep on trying to call but the whole q is full and I have to call back later for the last 4 weeks I’ve been hearing that I know you all are busy I just need help please thank you

  3. My husband and I recently moved to Phoenix from Salina due to his being offered a better paying job with benefits. Two weeks into the job the owner moved him into a dept that he had no training in and justified cutting his pay to less than what he was making at the company he’d been with for 10 yrs in KS. 7 months on they cut his hours to 33 a week, failed to raise his pay, and havent given him the benefits promised. Due to it we’re on the verge of becoming homeless. AZ said to apply for partial unemployment in KS. I’ve called ans the rude woman at the topeka location is either not doing her job or she has no idea how it works. She just said to apply.

  4. I start a job in mid-August. Can I still get unemployment benefits till then? Do I still have to “look” for work? I don’t want my benefits disrupted, but I also don’t want to spend three hours getting help at a Workforce Center.

  5. I worked part time from Aug 2017 and was previously fired a week ago. I filed for unemployment and just received letter saying my wages are insufficient to qualify for benefits…what do I do?

    • Marie,

      Part-time jobs do not generally qualify due to the limitations on earnings and hours worked. I am not sure if you will qualify even with other options. Please call the Claims Center for further assistance.

    • Taylor,

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

    • Melisa,

      I am not sure since the employment is not permanent. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  6. I moved to Kansas from Oklahoma in May 2017. I was unemployed at the time because I was a full-time college student. I planned to return to college full-time in Aug 2017, but was unable to do so. I have been actively seeking employment since August when I found out I was unable to return to college full-time, but have not been able to find suitable employment. Am I eligible to receive Unemployment Benefits

    • Jessica,

      If you have active employment and earnings in the last 4-5 calendar quarters and you got separated from the previous job due to involuntary reasons, you should be eligible.

  7. I work for an agency, their office is in Kansas. I work both in Kansas & Missouri, but, mostly Missouri. They do not have any work right now, so so I file for unemployment in Kansas or Missouri? I started to fill out the Kansas form & it asks if I have worked in any other state, I have to say Missouri, but I think that makes me ineligible. What do I do?

    • Rose,

      You may want to consider moving your claim file to Kansas if you’re seeking employment here.

      Please call the Claims Center in Missouri for further directions.

  8. my wife has been unable to work for a month due to hospitalization and is still unable to work and is under a doctors care is she able to receive Kansas unemployment benifets.

    • She may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

    • Please apply from the state where your employment was based. It would be easy to apply and manage claims online.

  9. I wanted to ask a question for my daughter she was in the Air-Force for 10 years she was medically discharged last September she is a fulltime college student can she apply for unemployment in Kansas where she was let go.

    • Since your daughter is studying full-time, it affects her ability to be employed. Unemployment Insurance is only meant for those who are able and available for work.

      Please speak to the Unemployment Office for confirmation.

  10. My 23 year old son was being bullied at his job and apparently it had been going on for the past several months. He never reported it for fear of making it worse. The bullying became more and more physical and last week he called my son a name and hit him in the stomach so hard that he fell to the ground. My son always let it go but this time he reacted and hit back. They were both terminated. Would my son be eligible for unemployment benefits? I see that misconduct is a reason for not being eligible but in this scenario, would the misconduct be on the bully’s part….or both since my son finally reached a point where he couldn’t take it anymore?

    • I am sorry to hear about the incident. As long as it was not your son’s fault and he was wrongfully terminated, he can be eligible apply for UI benefits. Make sure to keep supporting documents handy as proof in case of a dispute.

  11. My cousin worked for 2 months right from college. Her employer knew she had limited experience when she was employed. She showed up today and without notice they told her they had hoped for and are looking for someone more experienced. The termination was done verbally but the hiring was in writing. Does she qualify to file for unemployment? She will be looking for another job, but has to pay rent and utilities until she finds another job.

    • Your cousin would be required to have the relevant documents.

      I suggest she calls the Unemployment Office to inquire further on the eligibility front.

  12. My husband was recently terminated from his job. He had been there over 15 years. People told him to retire. Paper work he received stated he was fired will be getting new paperwork with retirement status. Can he still get unemployment benefits if he doesn’t cash out?

  13. I am a contract W2 employee based Missouri who worked for three months on site in Kansas then three months off site in Missouri with weekly visits to the Kansas job site. I paid both Kansas and Missouri state taxes.

    My contract was terminated on 1/18/17. The Missouri unemployment site offered both Missouri and Kansas alternative under which to file unemployment. The Kansas website would not complete my application.

    Which state is correct or can I choose?

    • Please apply from the state where your employment was based since taxes by your employer would have been remitted there.

  14. I started working at an establishment while also working a first job . My boss at the second job tells me he needs me to stop working my first job so that he can have me work for them everyday and put me on the schedule . I told this person that I gave my two weeks notice to my first job and would be done there in 4 days and could work everyday for him . I trained and learned everything for the secone job and was told everyone was impressed with me and I was a good employee . I was able to run both businesses for the second job by myself withing 3 days of starting . I worked a total of 5 days for the second job and had 34 hrs . Came in for my shift today and within 15 minutes the boss at the second job tells me that he has a old employee coming back to work and doesn’t need my help anymore . Even when I had co workers saying they needed my help , the boss told me it didn’t matter he would handle it . I asked if I had done smetjing wrong and he said no he was happy with my work and I was a good worker . I told him that if he was letting me go , I only had 4 more days at my first job and my two weeks was up and I would be completely unemployed due to hum because he was the one that told me to give that job a two weeks notice bc he needed me at his work . He paid me for my 5 days of work and said I wasnt needed . I have several witnesses that heard him telling me SEVERAL times to quit my first job for him and heard me telling him that I had given an official two weeks notice and it would be completed in 4 days . I am now without income and have 3 children and have no idea what to do . Please help

    • Well, if you think you were laid off and it was not your fault, please consider applying for Unemployment Insurance until the time you find another job.

      Please write back if you have any further questions.

  15. I have been collecting unemployment due to military move. The unemployment is about to end, however because of the state I’m now living in, I’m having troubles finding work in many fields. Can I still collect after last date of unemployment?

  16. my employer is in Kansas, I live in Missouri and I worked in Kansas and Missouri for them. Which state do I file with

  17. If i quit my job due to domestic violence and my ex stalking with me and harrassing me at work and every where else i go, do i qualify for unemployment if i quit my job? I have filed a PFA against him but he still continues.

    • Well, personal reasons are generally not considered. However, there are exceptions. Please call the Unemployment Office to ascertain eligibility and decide accordingly.

  18. If my position moves from full-time to part-time and I need full-time work can I draw unemployment if I say no to the part-time work? Also if I am asked to work for free if there is no money to pay employees and I say no and leave can I draw unemployment?

    • You can be eligible to claim partial UI benefits for a reduction in the standard hours. Quitting voluntarily can go against you under specific circumstances.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state.

  19. I work for a temp agency and have been at the same location for 6 months and my postion is no longer avaible as of this Friday. Will I be eligible for unemployment benefits?

    • Temporary jobs are generally not eligible since no taxes are paid on the employees’ behalf towards the fund that pays UC benefits.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for further details.

  20. I had retired from one position and receive retirement benefits. For the past four years I have worked full time. They are letting me go because of economic reasons. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

    • You can be eligible as long as you’re able and available for work. Please check about the impact of UI benefits on the eligibility and apply accordingly.

      Please call the Unemployment Office.

  21. My company has notified us that due to bankruptcy we will no longer be paid after September 9. Of course I am looking for a new job now, but is there anything else I can do now to be best prepared to step into unemployment?

    • If you lose the job, you can apply for Unemployment Insurance. Otherwise, please call the Unemployment Office in your state to ascertain if they offer compensation for loss of wages.

  22. I have to quit my job to be able to go to school full time for the degree i am pursuing, will I qualify for unemployment benefits? There is no physical way to still work where I am at and take the required courses to stay in the program.

  23. My husband just found out he has a brain tumor and had surgery to remove. He builds houses and is on a restriction for lifting and heights. Can he collect unemployment during this restriction period where he can not work.

    • Unfortunately, he must be able and available for work to be able to collect.

      Personal reasons such as health are not considered.

  24. In January I had a total knee replacement and have had a lot of problems and still am. I left my job because I knew I could not perform my daily tasks because it required standing and lifting for long periods. Am I eligible for unemployment?

    • Unfortunately, personal reasons such as health are generally not considered.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state by calling them.

  25. I worked for a small family owned co, and my boss and I ended up disagreeing about who was reposible for paying a bill work related. He bullied me into paying it, and when I later emailed him telling him how I felt, he somehow construed my disagreement as my resignation and termed me. Since he had used what was a non-solicite agreement into a non compete and used it like a club to keep me unemployed and not working for a competitor. I truly have tried to find work, and its been 4 months and just now even applying for UI benefits, that said, will I be turned down since he says I resigned? I was there over 18 months and pretty much built the division from the ground.

    • Well, you can ask for an adjudicator in case they deny UI benefits on the grounds of feedback from your employer.

      Make sure, you have a strong case with good paperwork to prove. Best Wishes !

  26. How much extra income can you earn ( PRN, temp or part time work) while on unemployment seeking full time work and not have it affect your benefits.

  27. If employer is offering settlement due to retaliation. Shouldn’t UI benefits be granted? MY daughter also was retaliated against and received her settlement…Retaliation is prohibited so employee should take all hands down correct?

  28. My daughter was laid off with severance. We understand she must wait until the severance runs out before she can collect UI. Our question is can she work on her Master’s Degree while looking for a job and still collect? She will be taking degree classes online.
    Thank you.

    • I guess she should be able to as long as the course does not hamper her chances of dedicating time for the job once she gets it.

  29. I live in KS, last employer (of 3 months, who terminated my employment) is in MO, prior employers within last 2 years have been in KS. Which state would I file for UI?

  30. I was laid off December 4th and getting 12 weeks separation package. Why can’t I get approved for unemployment? Same thing happened in 2013 and I was able to collect. My separation check is so much lower than my regular check was. I live in Kansas.

    • Seasonal Employees are generally not eligible to receive unemployment due to their obvious nature of work.

      Please inquire further with the labor dept in your state.

  31. I am going to be laid off. I went to school from 2011 to 2015 (May) and have been working for a temp agency since June. Since I had not worked for 4 years, how does that work with unemployment?

  32. is it possible to get a eligibility statement that is needed for a possible employed from april 2010, if so how do go about getting it. I have to have it by close of business tomorrow.

  33. I live in kansas, but I have worked for a company in Nebraska. I just got laid off. Who do I file unemployment with Nebraska or Kansas?

  34. I have a question, I was laid off, do to plant shutdown, the employer is paying our salary for 8 weeks, can I still apply for unemployment benefits? Or I need to wait after those 8 weeks?

  35. hello I got approved for unemployment todayI was told to file my claim Sunday. Do I include the four weeks I have been with out a job and is here a usual time frame for the card to arrive. Thanks brittany

  36. The company I work for sold and I was told by the new owners that there is not a position open for me. Am I entitled to any type of unemployment benefits?

    • If this is considered as “Lay Off”, you can receive Unemployment Benefits.

      You should be able to receive without any hassles. Please consider applying.

  37. In the event that you are laid off and receive a severance package, are you still entitled to unemployment benefits. If so when can you apply?

  38. I am receiving unemployment benefits in Kansas. Question 8 is “Did you receive or change any type of pension, other than Social Security benefits, during the week being claimed?”

    I took a withdrawal from my IRA, from a previous employer. Is this considered a pension that I have to report?

    • No – from what you say, I believe you are talking about an early withdrawal that included paying a higher tax rate; probably due to financial hardship. If that is generally what happened, this is not part of your pension.

    • As far as you have lost the job through no fault of your own and are available+able to work and meet other requirements, you should be eligible.

  39. Have ben on my job for 5 years having problems with my boss so I called corp. office it turns out to my surprise they fired me. Can I collect unemployment? If so how long should I expect to wait?

  40. I was working at Platos closet in Topeka, I was recently laid off for the simple fact of not fitting in… Could I collect unemployment?

    • Hi Michael,

      “Not fitting in” can be for many reasons. The employer needs to take up right measures to ensure the employee fits or provide a warning. This doesn’t seem to come under the “willful misconduct” category so you are mostly eligible to receive unemployment provided you qualify for other eligibility requirements.

  41. My employer rejected my availability for next semester’s school schedule, also I am pregnant and unable to lift weights larger than 20 pounds (a job requirement). I don’t know if they will fire me or if I have to quit. Am I eligible for unemployment?

  42. I work in KS but live in Oklahoma. I was part time working 32 hours a week or more. I was informed that they are cutting me to 28 hours because I’ve worked almost enough to be considered full time. My husband recently had a major heart attack and surgery so now it is up to me to provide. Needless to say, we can not survive on 28 hours a week. I’ve worked for the company 9 months. Am I eligible to apply for unemployment and if so do I file in KS since that is where I work or Oklahoma since that is where I live. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I need to quit so I can find something with more hours and so I can take care of my sick husband but I can not live in the meantime until I find other work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *