Kansas Unemployment Application

Kansas Unemployment Benefits

Kansas unemployment benefits offer financial support to those who have lost their jobs and meet certain eligibility criteria. These benefits are managed by the Kansas Department of Labor and are intended to provide temporary relief while you search for new employment. To take advantage of this support, you’ll need to apply and regularly update your status, showing that you’re actively looking for work.

How to apply for Kansas unemployment benefits

You are highly encouraged to apply for Kansas UI benefits online. If you don’t have access to the internet, you can visit a local KANSASWORKS Workforce Center and use the computers in the resource room.

Apply online


The online service is open at the following times:

  • Sunday – Monday: 12 pm Sunday to 9 pm on Monday
  • Tuesday – Friday from 7 am to 9 pm
  • Saturdays – 7 am to 10 pm

Apply by phone

Applying by phone is not recommended due to long wait times. However, you can call the following phone numbers to apply:

  • Topeka Area: (785) 575-1460
  • Kansas City Area: (913) 596-3500
  • Wichita Area: (316) 383-9947
  • Outside Local Areas: (800) 292-6333

Some applicants are actually not allowed to file online and must do so over the phone. If any of the following conditions apply, you’ll need to submit your unemployment application by phone:

  • You’ve worked in a state other than Kansas within the last 18 months.
  • You’ve filed for unemployment in another state within the past year.
  • You’ve been in military service or worked as a federal employee within the last 18 months.

For all other situations, you can file your claim online. Keep in mind that the online process is easy, quick, and secure.

Information needed to apply

Before applying, have the following information ready. Having this information will speed up the application process and minimize the chance of errors.

  • Start and end dates for your jobs over the last 18 months, along with why you left each position
  • A daytime contact phone number
  • The name of the county where you reside
  • For recent military service within 18 months, provide your DD-214, Member #4 form
  • For past federal employment, supply your Standard Form SF-50 or a recent pay stub
  • If you’re not a U.S. citizen or national, include your work authorization number and its expiration date
  • Your driver’s license ID number
  • Your most recent employer’s name and mailing address, regardless of the time spent working there
  • Your Social Security ID number
  • Any severance, vacation, or holiday pay you’ve received or expect to receive
  • Note: Check your pay stub or W-2 form for most of this information
  • Complete mailing address, including any apartment or lot number, Zip Code, and PO Box if applicable

Verifying your identity

All new applications undergo identity verification through the Social Security Administration. Kansas DOL sends the name and Social Security number of new claimants in a secure transaction to the SSA.

Your Social Security number might be selected at random for additional checks. Submitting the requested information is a requirement for determining your eligibility for unemployment benefits.

Required Documents for Identity Verification

Kansas DOL needs a copy of both your Social Security card and either your driver’s license or another state-issued photo ID. Send these documents by mail or fax by the deadline specified in the Identity Verification form you received.

If you don’t provide the necessary documents by the due date, you won’t be eligible for benefits until the required paperwork is received. Meanwhile, keep filing your weekly claims so you can receive backdated payments if the issue gets resolved.

Creating your online account

To file an initial application or a weekly claim on GetKansasBenefits.gov, you’ll need to create a unique user account. Without this account, online filing for benefits won’t be possible.

Information Needed for Account Setup

To create your account, you’ll need your first and last name, Social Security number, phone number, email address, a username, password, and a personal identification number (PIN).

Your username and password should be at least six characters long and can include numbers, letters, and symbols. Remember these details – you’ll use them to file both your initial and weekly claims.

Choose a four-digit PIN without repeating numbers or sequences like “1111” or “1234.” The PIN serves as your electronic signature, along with your Social Security number, adding an extra layer of security.

Once your account is created, you can file an initial application for unemployment insurance, submit your weekly claims, check payments, monitor claim status, update personal info, and much more.

After you apply

Once you finish your unemployment claim, you’ll get an “Unemployment Insurance Monetary Determination” letter. This letter covers details like the start date of your unemployment claim, wages reported by employers, your base period earnings, and calculates your weekly benefit amount. In Kansas, the maximum number of weeks you can receive benefits is 16 weeks.

The letter tells you if you’ve earned enough wages for unemployment insurance benefits. If you find any discrepancies or missing info in your Determination Letter, get in touch with the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center and be ready to show proof of the correct wages, such as check stubs or W-2 statements.

Receiving a monetary determination doesn’t automatically qualify you for benefits. Kansas DOL might need extra information from you or your employer to confirm your eligibility.

You must maintain eligibility by certifying each week. While your claim is under review, don’t forget to file your weekly claim and perform the required work search activities to continue receiving payments. You must also register at KANSASWorks and upload your resume into the system.

If your application is denied

If the Kansas Department of Labor denies your unemployment claim, you can appeal the decision. The appeal process provides a platform for you to share extra details or correct any inaccuracies that contributed to your claim’s rejection.

During this process, you can submit new evidence and participate in a formal hearing. A successful appeal could reverse the original denial, making you eligible for the unemployment compensation you originally applied for.

  1. I got a 1099-G saying I got unemployment for the 2020 and I never got any unemployment I never sign up for unemployment in 2020 I want this fix now I have a job and I have been working for over 26 year and never sign up for unemployment.

    • Bill,

      Please apply at the earliest. As much as I am aware, there is no grace period. You may call the Unemployment Office for further details.

  2. I worked in Kansas from 11/2011 to 9/2017. I accepted a job in another state and resigned from my position. I worked at the new place 3 weeks and they let me go. I don’t meet the requirements in Nevada since I only worked 3 weeks. Can I get benefits through Kansas?

    • Kevin,

      If you’ve had active employment and earnings in the last 4-5 calendar quarters, please call the Unemployment Office in Kansas to check if you’re eligible.

  3. I am trying to fill out my application for unemployment. I have a question regarding filling out the previous employer information. I was employed by a company from July 2003 till August 2016. The company that I worked for changed ownership but kept all the employees. So The business name changed but my location of work did not. What do I put down as a reason for leaving the job that I had from July 2003 to 2016?

    • If it’s a checkbox based option, please choose the closest or mention in the “Comments” space.

      Alternatively, you can also call the Unemployment Office for instructions.

  4. I have worked for the same company for the past year. I worked for them in OKlahoma until last December, then I was transferred to Kansas. I have only resided in Kansas for 6 months. Am I still eligible for unemployment benefits through the state of Kansas? If not, how does this work?

    • Yes, the part time income will have an saying. Please declare it with the Labor dept by calling them.

  5. I told my employer that my Dr. said that if my work stress was not addressed and changed I would have a stroke or heart attack. They did nothing to resolve that issue so I quit and relocated to another state. Can I draw UI if I can not find work.

    • You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons such as Lay off’s.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state.

    • Please consider applying after the severance pay period is over.

      You will not be eligible until the Severance package expires.

  6. I was hired for a job under the condition that I pass two qualifying examinations within 90 days, which I failed to do. Will I qualify for unemployment?

    • If you’re separation is treated as something that happened due to your fault,you may not qualify for UI benefits.

  7. I quit my job after 4 and a half years due to theft from dillons store for not scanning items and I worked at dillons warehouse due to policy I was told to resign and they wouldn’t terminate so it wouldn’t go on my record can I get unemployment in state of kansas

    • Was working at Dillons and do to my mental illness I pointed out with them. Waiting for court date for disability. Can I still get UI?

  8. I lost my job of two and a half years for my first attendance issue I was forced to leave work due to a legal matter will I be able to draw unemplpyment

  9. I applied for unemployment July 2012. I was suppose to have a phone interview in july but was in a job interview which I did not get because my phone rang. I since moved to MO and worked a few sesonal jobs. I cannot apply for unemployment in MO because of the case in KS even though I did not get benefits. Could you please let me know how to get unemployment as I am starving here and there are no job in the area I live.

    • I have been let go from my job with GE/SYNCHRONY due to a head injury, not able to work long on the PC as my head hurts, and the fall broke my right shoulder and ribs, no have 9 pins to hold the shoulder togather, I have been put on a Long term disibilty from my job under the GE, I was there 18 years,

    • This is a public website and not the unemployment office. I have removed your personal information. Please contact the unemployment office – you might check their website for alternate contact information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *