This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Kansas Unemployment Extension

Kansas Unemployment Benefits

In Kansas, various types of unemployment extensions may become available to help unemployed workers. From regular Kansas unemployment benefits to federal Disaster Unemployment Assistance, there are multiple reasons why the state of Kansas may offer a UI extension after your initial UI claim has expired.

Kansas Extended Benefits (EB)

The Extended Benefits (EB) program in Kansas provides an additional 13 weeks of unemployment insurance benefits to those who have exhausted their regular unemployment compensation. This program is only available when Kansas experiences high unemployment rates. It’s designed to help people get by financially while they continue their job search.

To qualify for Extended Benefits, you must have used up all your regular unemployment benefits as well as any federal extensions that might have been in place. Application procedures usually involve filing a new claim or updating an existing one. Similar to regular unemployment benefits, you’ll need to file a weekly claim and meet the work search requirements to continue receiving Extended Benefits, and you must be actively looking for work to remain eligible.

Benefit amounts under the EB program are typically the same as what you received under your regular unemployment claim. However, unlike other special programs, EB is partially funded by the state of Kansas, which means that availability can be subject to budget constraints or legislative action.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance

The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program in Kansas provides financial support to individuals who have lost employment or income due to a major disaster declared by the President of the United States.

The program assists those who don’t qualify for regular unemployment benefits, including self-employed workers, farmers, and part-time employees. Once a disaster declaration is made, affected individuals have a limited window, usually 30 days, to file a claim for DUA.

Applicants must show that they were employed or self-employed at the time of the disaster and that their work was interrupted as a direct result of the event. Supporting documents may include proof of employment or self-employment, such as pay stubs, business records, or tax returns. Once approved, the benefit amount is calculated based on federal and state guidelines, similar to regular unemployment compensation.

The program is typically short-term, lasting up to 26 weeks from the date of the disaster declaration. However, the period can be extended depending on the severity of the situation and available federal funds.

The DUA program is managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in partnership with the Kansas Department of Employment Security. KDES is responsible for administering DUA and the department releases news updates on eligibility and application procedures following a disaster declaration.

CARES Act – Pandemic Benefits

The CARES Act introduced several unemployment benefit programs to provide financial relief during the COVID-19 pandemic. Programs like Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) and Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) expanded the safety net for workers who lost their jobs or faced reduced hours. However, all these programs expired on September 4, 2021, ending the additional support they offered.

Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)

PEUC was a federal program that extended unemployment benefits for people who had run out of regular unemployment insurance (UI). The program originally offered an additional 24 weeks of benefits but was later extended to 53 weeks. However, PEUC benefits are no longer available, as the program ended on September 4, 2021.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)

PUA provided financial assistance to workers not usually eligible for regular unemployment benefits, including the self-employed, gig workers, and others affected by COVID-19. The program allowed new claims until October 6, 2021, and could backdate claims to as early as the week ending December 6, 2020. However, PUA benefits also expired on September 4, 2021.

Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)

FPUC added a flat rate of $300 per week to the unemployment benefits of all eligible claimants. Originally, this was a $600 weekly addition, but it dropped to $300 during the program’s extension. Like the other programs, FPUC ended on September 4, 2021, and is no longer active.

Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC)

MEUC targeted people with both wage earnings and self-employment income. To be eligible, claimants had to have a minimum of $5,000 in self-employment income in the last taxable year and receive at least $1 from another type of unemployment benefit. Despite its specific eligibility criteria, the MEUC program also ended on September 4, 2021.

Lost Wages Assistance (LWA)

Funded by FEMA, LWA provided an extra $300 per week to eligible unemployment claimants for a limited time. The program covered claims for weeks ending between August 1, 2020, and September 5, 2020. Payments were retroactive but have long since expired.

Now that all these CARES Act programs have expired, those in need of unemployment benefits will need to rely on regular unemployment insurance and any other state or federal programs that may become available. Contact KDOL for more information on upcoming extensions.

    • Because of virus they are giving extensions at first it was just for folks laid off because of virus. But now for everyone

    • Ki,

      Please visit the Unemployment Office’s website. Your state should have activated emergency unemployment benefits in the backdrop of the COVID-19 situation.

  1. Today I filed my last week of unemployment benefits I still haven’t found a job I have even moved to another town with family to try to find work still no luck I am a single parent and have kids to provide for I really need some help can I get a extension on my unemployment I was fired for no reason on my part except that my boss starting yelling at me and I asked him calmly please dont ever raise your voice at me for any reason ever again I said to him you have no right to talk to me in this manner especially since i had worked through my break time only took a 10 min lunch and worked through my next break as well to make sure we got our product on the truck to be delivered that day before a 3 day holiday weekend and he did this after i was off work clocked out and washing my hands and when i told him this he said you know what stupid your fired get your shit and leave now i feel i was not treated in a business like manor and now i feel like i have been set up for failure cause i haven’t gained employment yet and have exhausted my unemployment please help me with more options in this matter as soon as possible for I need to provide for me and my babies being a single parent that receives no child support what can I do please help please can I get a extension on unemployment or resources for other options I’m ready to tackle whatever it takes to provide for me and my babies thank you

    • Mickelle,

      I can understand your situation. As much as I understand, there’s no federal extension. Suggest you call the Claims Center to understand if they can offer you any other form of monetary assistance.

      • Because of virus they are giving extensions at first it was just for folks laid off because of virus. But now for everyon

    • Tina,

      The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  2. If I live in Missouri and worked in Kansas and received 20 weeks of unemployment from Kansas and there is no Extension available in 2019, can I apply to my home state where I live for unemployment benefits?

    • Debbie,

      Not sure if you can do that. As much as I am aware, Unemployment Insurance is a one-time cycle. Please reach out to the Unemployment Office for assistance.

  3. my benifits did run out onfeb 01st still unemployed ,how can i get an extention since i exhasted all my benifits can i resume my benifits since it is a new year.

  4. I have been on unemployment for 16 weeks. They have canceled my unemployment and I still don’t have a job. I have applied for everything I could think of but because it was the end of the year there weren’t very many new job listings. I am hoping that the new year will change this. They told me I could reapply when I first signed up and now they are saying I can reapply in a year. I need to pay my bills now! I have a part time job but it doesn’t pay my bills. Can I apply for EUC with you now? Thanks for your help!

    • The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

    • Extensions(EUC) are not available through out the country.

      Please check with the labor dept in your state.

  5. My benefits run (original 26 weeks) out on October 2, 2013. Should I apply for extended or emergency right now so no disruption in monies coming in? Thank you.

  6. Kansas – My unemployment for this “benefit” year will run out Aug. 20. My new “benefit year” begins September 1, at which time I will be eligibile again. I received a EUC letter in the mail, but would rather not mess with it since it is only for one week. Do I need to fill out the EUC application?

    • I have exhausted all my option looking for a job my job skill is limited to a few dealership
      My job title is operation director for the last 30 years I am 71 years old there r no jobs for me out there what do I do to fill out my weekly job search

      • There are many skills you used on your job of 30 years that can be used on other jobs. You need to start applying for those.

    • The extension could go beyond your “benefit year”. Assuming your current claim is based on a time period when you were more fully employed, a new claim would probably mean a lower weekly benefit amount. The extension will keep you more or less at your current claim amount. If you have actually worked enough time at significantly higher wages since you opened your claim, perhaps the weekly benefit rate on a new claim could be more. You can talk to the local unemployment office representative to get an idea which would be the best choice. If a new claim is significantly lower than your current rate, I think they are required to allow you to continue on the EUC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *