Kansas Unemployment Weekly Claims
Updated : February 15th, 2019
To receive your benefits, after filing your unemployment application, you MUST file a weekly claim each week you remain unemployed until your benefits expire. File your first weekly claim on Sunday afternoon or evening or on Monday after filing your unemployment claim the previous week. For example: If you filed your initial application on Tuesday you should file for your first week of unemployment on the following Sunday or Monday. You may file weekly claims online or by phone.
The calendar week for unemployment compensation purposes runs from midnight Sunday through midnight the following Saturday. You may file on any day of the week, Sunday through Saturday, but filing earlier in the week assures the most prompt payment. You will not receive a benefit payment until that week has been claimed. If you do not file within 14 days, your claim will become inactive and you will have to file an application by calling the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center.
If there is a state or bank holiday, your payments may be delayed.
Information Required –
You will need the following information to file a weekly claim for payment:
• If filing online – your user name, password, and PIN.
• If filing by phone – your Social Security number and PIN.
• The number of hours worked during the week being claimed.
• The amount of gross wages earned (money earned before deductions, not received) during the week being claimed. You must report wages earned for the week in which you actually worked for those wages, not the week you received payment for that work. This includes any payments received as a Reservist for weekend drill and annual training participation.
• The gross amount of any paid time off (such as vacation, personal time off or holiday pay) you received for the week being claimed.
• The gross amount of severance pay received for the week being claimed.
• Paper and pencil to write down any information or instructions you may be given while filing.
Methods to file weekly claims –
1. File Online
Log in or create a username and password. After you have answered all of the questions, your answers will be displayed for you to review. You will be able to click “Back” to change your answer(s) or click “Submit” to process your weekly claim.
You may be instructed to call the Kansas Unemployment Contact Center or download a form to provide information regarding your eligibility.
2. Phone Filing – You may also call to file a weekly claim:
Weekly Claim Lines
Kansas City Area ……(913) 287-6913
Topeka Area ………….(785) 296-4337
Wichita Area …….. ….(316) 269-0633
A toll-free number is not available for filing a weekly claim.
If you are asked to send in a form, do so immediately as any delay may significantly postpone the processing of your claim or result in a denial of benefits.
NOTE: You MUST continue to file your weekly claim for payment even if a decision about your claim is pending and you are not receiving unemployment payments