Kentucky Unemployment Benefits

Claim your benefits
Mark Icon
Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?


Are you willing to actively look for a job?


dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?


Did you earn at least $ 3230 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Jan 2017 - Mar 2017 to Oct 2017 - Dec 2017


question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?


Were you fired for no fault of your own?


Were you laid off for no fault of your own?


phone icon
CALL: (877)369-5984. You can file a claim by calling (502) 875-0442.

you are not eligible

State Name: Kentucky

     Wages Earned:





Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

    State: Kentucky (KY)
    Phone Number: (877)369-5984. You can file a claim by calling (502) 875-0442.
    File Online:
    Major Towns: Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Owensboro, Covington, Hopkinsville, Richmond, Florence and Georgetown

    Current Unemploymnet Rate in Kentucky

    Kentucky Unemployment Questions

    Reasons You Might Be Ineligible For Unemployment

    You may be an insured worker and still be ineligible or disqualified for benefits. Some of the common reasons you may be ineligible or disqualified are:

    -- You are not able to work, are not available for full-time work or not actively seeking full-time work.
    -- You have a medical reason to prevent you from accepting work.
    -- You are an alien not permitted to work.
    -- You have unreasonably limited the wages you will accept, the hours or days you will work, the locations where you will work or the jobs you will accept.
    -- You are not looking for work as instructed.
    -- You did not register for work with Office of Employment and Training, if required.
    -- You are involved in a strike.
    -- You are self-employed or the owner of your business (sole proprietor, partner, or Corporate officer).
    -- You are attending school (without prior approval of the Office of Employment and Training)
    -- You are a school employee between terms.
    -- You are suspended for misconduct.
    -- You refused suitable work.
    -- You do not have adequate transportation.
    -- You don’t have someone to care for your children while you work.
    -- You were terminated for misconduct.
    -- You quit your job for personal reasons or for reasons that were not considered “good cause” connected with the employment.
    -- You did not report, telephone, or provide information to the local office when instructed.
    -- You worked or earned wages in excess of the amount allowed to be considered “unemployed.”
    -- You failed to participate in required services under the Kentucky Employment Network (KEN) Program.

    NOTE: This is only a partial list of reasons you may be disqualified or ineligible.

    Combining Wage Claims If You Work At Multiple States

    If you worked in another state during the base period, you must file a combined wage or interstate claim. If you need help, ask your local office for assistance if you are filing a combined wage claim or interstate claim.

    Federal Military And Civilian Employment Questions

    If you served in the federal armed forces during your base period, wages earned during such service may be used in determining your eligibility for and the amount of your benefits. In addition to all regular eligibility and qualifying requirements, to be eligible to receive unemployment benefits based on military wages, you must have been discharged or released from military service under honorable conditions after completing your first full term of active service. You may be eligible for benefits if you were separated prior to completion of your first full term of service, but only if the reason for early separation is one approved by the U.S. Department of Defense.

    Federal Civilian Wages - Common Questions

    If you worked for the federal government in a non-military position, this service and all wages earned during your base period will be used to establish your benefit eligibility. Wages earned after your base period may be used in a subsequent claim if you are otherwise eligible. If you request a reconsideration, you must notify your local office within the time period for appeals noted on your determination explaining your benefit eligibility.

    What if I become unemployed again?

    If you become employed after filing your claim and are then subsequently separated from your employment (layoff, job ended, discharge, voluntary quit, etc.), you must file either an additional claim (if your new period of unemployment is within your original benefit year) or a new claim (if later) in order to re-qualify for UI benefits. You cannot simply resume claiming your weeks under your previous claim. Additional claims can be filed the same way (Internet or toll-free telephone) as a new claim.

Questions & Answers

  1. Marlene says:

    I will be laid off for 6 weeks due to retooling at the Louisville Assembly plant. the dates will be June 18- Aug 7th , 2018. When can I apply for benefits? I also received benefits when they shutdown during christmas

    • Sam says:


      Temporary off from work does not generally qualify. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  2. Lynne Matthews says:

    Hello and thank you for the opportunity to communicate. My last day of employment was April 18, 2018. Later I spoke to a representative at the unemployment office and she said she would follow up with me. I called back and was told they needed 10 weeks of employment from my previous employer and to fax it to 502-564-0065 with the contact person Ginny @ 1:21 today 5-14-2018. I faxed 19 pgs. and tried to call back to the 502-564-2900 and the line was busy most of the afternoon.Just wanted to make sure they received them all on their side and follow up with them.

    • Sam says:


      Please note this is a private forum and we do not have access to your claims file. Please contact the Claims Center on the official phone numbers.

  3. Pat Johnson says:

    If I need a printout of wages earned for the last four quarters, where do I go to get that?

  4. Jodi says:

    When I try to log on to film a claim it says my pin is wrong. When I click forgot password, it says I’m not in the system. When I try to register as a new user it says I’m already in the system. The page that you point people to that you say allows you to reset your pin doesn’t give you that option!

    • Sam says:


      Please call the Claims Center and look up for PIN reset option. If required, speak to a representative for further instructions.

  5. LaDonna Hamontree says:

    My daughter has been trying to file a claim for about 3 weeks now and keeps hitting a brick wall. The system says she has a pin number, but she doesn’t. When she calls, no one answers the phone. PLEASE HELP! She is in need of this unemployment insurance money. She needs someone to reset her pin number that she doesn’t have and see if someone is using her social.

    Thank you!

  6. Anne says:

    I found out my department is being laid off 3/31. The way I’m understanding it, the base period would be 1/01/17 to 12/31/17. Issue is I was on unpaid maternity leave for 7 weeks during this time and it will affect my eligible amount. It was during my last quarter. Is there anything that can be done about this? I have worked with no gaps between jobs for 14 years.

  7. linda moran says:

    in ky. can you draw full unemployment while drawing social securily

  8. Kayla Tirey says:

    I am doing my student teaching this spring semester in order to graduate in May with my Bachelor’s in Elementary Education. I anticipate having a teaching position in July once I have my degree and apply for local schools. However, my current employer does not offer any suitable part time hours to accommodate my 7am-3:30pm school schedule. I have used all of my vacation hours to extent my employment, however I still have an excessive amount of absenteeism due to my obligations through my university. I am expected to be fired due to this attendance issue. Do I qualify for unemployment for the few months until my May graduation?

  9. Melanie says:

    I was given a date my position is being done away with after 16 years due to restructuring. If I apply for jobs within company and am offered one paying lower wages and don’t accept will that effect eligibility for unemployment?

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *

State Unemployment Guides