Massachusetts Unemployment Application
Generally it takes about 3 weeks to process a claim; however you will still require claiming benefits every week. Once a determination is made, and if you are entitled, you will get checks for the weeks that you claimed before. In case you do not claim benefits while your claim is being processed, you will have to talk with a representative to re-open your claim, and you may not be qualified to obtain benefits for those weeks.
Be sure to have these information ready before you file your claim:
- Your Social Security Number
- The year you were born
- Your home address and telephone number
- Whether you have filed an unemployment insurance claim in Massachusetts or in any other state during the past 12 months
- Your last day of employment
- The names and addresses of all of the employers you have worked for during the 15 months before filing your claim and the dates you worked for each of these employers. If you are reopening a claim, be prepared with the same information for the past 8 weeks
- The reason that you are no longer working or that your hours have been reduced
- The names, dates of birth and social security numbers for any dependent children, if you are going to apply for dependency allowance
- Your alien registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
If You Are Not a United States Citizen
You must provide confirmation that you were legally eligible to work in Massachusetts and that you are presently qualified to begin a new job. Be prepared with this verification.
File by Phone
You must contact TeleClaim Center in order to file your initial claims or reactivate an existing claim. The telephone numbers to call is 1-617-626-6800 or toll free 1-877-626-6800 from area codes 351, 413, 508, 774 and 978.
File in Person
You may file your claim in person at a walk-in site, located at One-Stop Career Centers all through Massachusetts.
Some walk-in sites have limited hours. Verify the hours of the walk-in site nearest you.
Note: During times of high volume or other special situation, One-Stop Career Centers may alter their UI Walk-In operating hours, or customers may be given an appointment to return on a different day/time to avoid long waits.
At walk-in sites, you can:
- File a new claim for benefits
- Reopen an existing claim
- Be interviewed if there are issues that affect your eligibility
- Resolve problems with your claim
- Attend a career seminar session
Use WebCert to file for your weekly unemployment insurance benefits and login using your username and password
Note: If you have not filed or reopened an unemployment claim you must do so before you can begin to use Webcert.
In order to initiate an unemployment claim, call 617-626-6800 or from area codes 508, 978, or 413, call 877-626-6800. Claimants outside of Massachusetts must call 617-626-6800.
Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–> Calculate benefits
Unemployed?? ——> Check Eligibility