This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Michigan Unemployment Application

Michigan Unemployment Application

How to apply for Michigan UI benefits

Apply Online

CALL: 1-866-500-0017. You can call and file by using a touch-tone telephone from anywhere in the USA or Canada.

For TTY callers, use 1-866-366-0004. The scheduled time for filing by phone is based on the last two digits of your Social Security number. For example, if your Social Security number ends in 50, you would phone in your application on Tuesday afternoon. Workers who are unable to call on their appointed day and time can dial the toll-free number anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday or Friday of the same week.

Visit a Michigan Unemployment Office

Applying for Michigan unemployment benefits

Michigan workers who become laid off or terminated should apply for unemployment benefits within 14 days. Unemployment insurance in Michigan (like most places in the United States) is funded by employers through tax initiatives. It is your right to become a claimant of unemployment benefits, provided you meet Michigan unemployment eligibility requirements.

Information needed to apply

  • Social Security number – You will need a social security number to verify your identity and get started with the unemployment application.
  • Employment information for the past 18 months: Employer name and address, first and last day worked, and gross earnings. This information is indispensable for determining your weekly benefit amount. The Unemployment Office will also contact these employers to verify your claim about the monetary amount of earnings and/or reasons for termination.
  • Your address, phone number, and date of birth – This information must be provided to verify your identity and send you an unemployment debit card, if that should be your preferred method of collecting benefits.
  • Non-Citizens Alien registration and the expiration date of your work authorization card – Michigan unemployment exists to provide financial assistance until new employment security is established. However, claimants need to either be U.S. citizens or in the U.S. legally.
  • Driver’s License or State ID – A Driver’s License or State ID (for those who don’t drive) is necessary for establishing and verifying your identity, and to prevent Michigan unemployment insurance fraud.

How to apply for unemployment in Michigan

There are two ways to apply for unemployment insurance benefits in Michigan: online and over the phone.

How to apply by phone

You may apply for benefits over the phone by calling 1-866-500-0017.

You may also continue to certify for benefits by calling the MARVIN system at 1-866-638-3993, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Have all the information outlined above ready to go when you call in to apply. Need more help? View the list of Michigan unemployment phone numbers.


When calling MARVIN for the first time, you will be asked to create a four digit PIN. Your MARVIN PIN should be easy for you to remember. However, you cannot use any personal information, such as your Social Security number, address, or birthdate, or any sequential numbers like 1234 or 9876.

Schedule for filing by phone Based on last 2 digits of Social Security number

Time Monday TuesdayWednesdayThursday & Friday
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.00-1534-4867-81OPENCALL-IN
12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.16-3349-6682-99OPENCALL-IN

How to apply online

The easiest way for many to apply for benefits is to navigate to the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM), where you can create an unemployment account and file your weekly claim. As you will see from Michigan’s unemployment insurance agency page, there is a button on the left side of the screen to sign in with a MiLogin (more on that momentarily).

After applying, you will be able to access your MiWam account 24/7. Take note that your selected password will expire every 13 months, so if you once again become an unemployed worker after that timeframe, you will need to reset your password.

One of the first things you will be asked to do is input your Driver’s License Number or State ID. You will then be asked to hit yes on a security agreement. New claimants will be asked on the Michigan unemployment application to input basic information like name, Social Security number, and driver’s license number. You will then be asked to input your physical and mailing addresses.

Answer the questions that follow, which will enquire about any out of state work and whether you are currently in school or engaged in training. You will be asked some questions about your work experience over the last 18 months, which is why it is important for a Michigan resident applying for the unemployment insurance program to have this info on hand.

You will be asked for the FEIN (Federal Employee Identification Number) of previous employers. Although you may file without it, it will be especially important if you have not previously filed a claim with the unemployment insurance agency in the past three years, or if you were employed for less than six months. Knowing the EAN or Employer Account Number can also speed up your application process. The FEIN and EAN are located on your W-2, or you can contact the employment relations department of your previous workplace.

You will be asked to select your preferred means of receiving Michigan unemployment benefits: direct deposit, or an unemployment insurance debit card. If you choose direct deposit, you’ll need your bank account and routing number. You’ll then be asked to determine if you’d like to Go Green (receive only email correspondence to your MiWAM account) or receive paper notifications in the mail.

The final steps involve acknowledging your Unemployment Benefits Rights, reviewing your application, and then clicking the submit button.

What is a MiLogin account?

Before creating your MiWAM account, you must create a MiLogin, which will allow you to access a number of different state services with a single username and password. You’ll need to provide a unique phone number and/or email address that cannot be shared with any other user, so keep that in mind for a home phone number.

You will be prompted to create a MiLogin when you file for benefits. Follow the steps and prompts and input your information, along with selecting a security question, before selecting the box to agree to terms and conditions and submitting your login information.

What is a MiWAM account?

MiWAM (Michigan Web Account Manager) allows you to file an initial claim and certify biweekly, change your contact information, respond to fact-finding requests, file an appeal, send online inquiries in for resolution, and anonymously report unemployment fraud.

If you have questions about the system or need help navigating it, you can call 1-866-500-0017 for customer support. See the section above for steps on how to apply for unemployment with the MiWAM system.

How To Create your MiWAM account

The first step is to select the option to Sign up for Claimant MiWAM Account on the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Insurance Agency page. You will be prompted to enter your name, Social Security number, and date of birth (DOB). Create a username and password to access MiWAM, along with selecting a security question. From there, follow the steps outlined above to apply online for benefits.

What is a MIN?

The Michigan Identification Number is sent to you in communications (email and mail) for the unemployment office. You should use this number instead of your Social Security Number when communicating with the Unemployment Office.

Common mistakes to avoid when filing a claim

Wrong occupation code

When you are filling out your application, there is a section about your work history. You will be prompted to select an Occupation Code for your previous job. If you cannot find an exact match, select the one that matches best. The Michigan unemployment insurance agency will review your application and understand selections made with good intentions, even if they are not an exact match word for word. However, you must do your best to consider the list of options and avoid selecting something at random if you cannot find a perfect match.

Not enough information

Another mistake to avoid is not having adequate information about your previous employers online. Many people find it tedious to fill out online applications, and may be reluctant to prolong the process by hunting down addresses of previous employers, let alone their FEIN or EAN. Don’t make the mistake of short changing the information you provide, because the more you can provide, the quicker and smoother the review of your application will go.

Not calculating benefit payments

Lastly, you should use a Michigan unemployment calculator to see the amount of weekly benefits you should get based on your income and the number of dependents you can claim before applying. That way, if you are approved for less than you deserve, you can file an appeal. Without using a calculator, you won’t know.

What happens next?

Remember to file your biweekly claim and meet the work search requirements. The workforce development department has listed work search activity options that will meet the requirement for looking for suitable work. Although this was not a requirement when unemployment was extended for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) or Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), it is a requirement for regular unemployment insurance.

The Michigan Workforce Development Board will also require you to register on the Pure Michigan Talent Connect website and meet with MichiganWorks! staff in person or virtually.

    • Hi, Alexandria – you’ll need to contact the Michigan unemployment office directly in order to change any of your information. You can call 1-866-500-0017 – Monday – Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    • I can help you. Feel free to pm me and ill send you an invite to the gruop. Lots of information. I am confident in saying this, Im very educated in Michigan UiA all they do is screw it up. Anyway please pm, hate seeing people in need. so stressful—Rachal

    • Phillip,

      Please note this is a private forum and we do not have access to your claim. Please call the Unemployment Office directly.

  1. Too many sites how do I know im on the correct site for Michigan unemployment to sign up for. Getting really frustrated trying to apply for help

  2. I lost my job because I could not return to work full time without restrictions after my Fmla ran
    Out am I eligible for unemployment

    • Michelle,

      Unemployment Insurance benefits are only extended to claimants who’re out of work due to involuntary reasons. Please call the Unemployment Office for a detailed discussion.

  3. I have never filed for unemployment some of my friends have been telling me horror stories about if I don’t do it right. I have been laid off from my job through a temp service for almost three months and I have not tried to filef for unemployment because I have been afraid of doing it wrong and getting in trouble. My Mamaw has been after me to file a claim but we don’t know if there is a time limit for when your first laid?

    • I suggest you get started without any further delay and claim govt. benefits since they are meant for people like you. To get started, please use the “Benefits Calculator” available on this website.

  4. I was on Unemployment got a new job but they shut down for a few weeks..I was told I might be able to use what I had left on my unemployment to cover this since it hasn’t been a year. How do I go about doing that?

    • Dan,

      If you have benefits left in your account, you should be able to claim them. Please call the Claims Center for further details.

  5. I tried t call into Marvin today. I can not find my pin #. So missed the all in time HELP PLEASE

    • Janice,

      Please call during designated hours and speak to a representative or look out for options on the IVR for a PIN reset.

    • The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  6. Received Michigan Unemployment benefits for one month in 2000. Who do I call for a Marvin Pin number to complete my application. I need a Telephone number, I worked in Ypsilanti, MI. Thanks

  7. Hello, I have finished my 6 months of my unemployment benefits , and I’m asking you gently if there is any extension to get my benefit back , I’m still looking for a job and I need to pay my rent and my bills , I’ll be very thankful for you to help me and if you please inform me what to do, Thank you, Best Regards.

    • The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  8. I am trying to apply for unemployment benefits online. Have filled out the MiWAM form. Enter for next step which says I am not recognized. It won’t let me start. How do I get started and to the next step?
    Thank you for your help,
    Gregory M. Henricks

    • Please call the phone numbers provided on the website. We do not have access to the online systems.

  9. Good day,
    I am filling out application on line, for first time ever. I am at section 4 employment. It won’t let me check the box of last employer so I can finish.
    Think you so much.
    Curtis Fairgrief

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *