Michigan Unemployment Benefit Questions
Do I still get my unemployment benefits if I enter a college, school or specialized training program?
This depends on the type of training you are doing as determined by the UIA. Please contact the UIA to find out about your specific situation.
How much will I get in benefits?
To calculate your Weekly Benefit Amount:
- Multiply the wages you were paid in the high quarter of your base period by 4.1% (0.041). Round down to the nearest dollar.
- Add $6 for each dependent, up to 5 dependents.
- The sum of steps 1 and 2 is you Weekly Benefit Amount. It cannot be more than $362. The minimum Weekly Benefit Amount is $81.
Can I work and still collect unemployment benefits?
If you work less than full-time during a calendar week, you can obtain unemployment benefits for that week as long as the combination of what you earn plus your unemployment benefits is not more than 1.5 times your weekly unemployment rate.
How many weeks can I collect unemployment?
To calculate the number of weeks of entitlement,
- Multiply your total base period wages by 40% (0.4)
- Divide the result in step 1 by your Weekly Benefit Amount
- Round down to the nearest half-week. The result is the number of weeks you may receive benefits. The maximum is 20 weeks and the minimum is 14 weeks, except for benefits based on family employment, in which case benefits are limited to 7 weeks.
I work in a business my family owns; can I collect unemployment insurance if I am laid off?
- If you work for a sole proprietorship owned by your spouse or child, or owned by your parent or parents (if you are under age 18), then you cannot draw unemployment benefits based on that work.
- If you work for a partnership comprised solely of your spouse or children, or comprised solely of your parents (if you are under age 18), then you cannot draw unemployment benefits based on that work, either.
- If, however, you work for a corporation more than 50% of whose shares are owned by you, or by your child or spouse, or any combination of these, benefits are limited to 7.5 weeks. Or, if you work for a corporation more than 50% of whose shares are owned by your parents and you are under age 18, benefits are limited to 7.5 weeks.
More Questions?? —-> Read Benefit Q & A Section