This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Montana Unemployment Calculator

Calculate your projected benefit by filling quarterly wages earned below:

We created this calculator to aid you evaluate what you might obtain if you are entitled. We make no promises that the sum you receive will be equal to what the calculator illustrates.

Unemployment Benefits Calculator
Select Number of Dependents:
Unemployment Benefits Calculator
State: Montana
Number of Dependents: 0

How much did you earn in each of these quarters?

$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
Calculating your Benefits Amount ...
Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website. This calculator is here to assist you in evaluating what you might obtain if you are entitled to receive benefits. We make no promises that the sum you receive will be equal to what the calculator illustrates.

To apply for Montana unemployment benefits click here

The most recent figures for Montana show an unemployment rate of 2.8%.

Non-Monetary Eligibility Requirements

You can collect benefits if you meet a series of legal eligibility requirements:

  • Have earned qualifying wages
  • Are unemployed through no fault of their own
  • Are able and obtainable to work full-time and
  • Are keenly looking for full-time work

In addition to having adequate earnings, you must meet other eligibility benefits to be entitled for UI benefits. Some instances of issues that may influence eligibility for UI benefits comprise:

  • Reason for job separation
  • Proper weekly claim filing
  • School attendance
  • Self employment or corporate offices
  • Strike or labor disputes
  • Denial of a job offer
  • Alien status
  • School employee
  • Illness or injury
  • Professional athlete

More details on UI eligibility can be found in the unemployment eligibility article.

Monetary Eligibility Requirements

For more information on unemployment eligibility, visit article.

How long will I receive benefits:

Usually, most states permit an individual to obtain unemployment for a maximum of 26 weeks, or half the benefit the benefit year. A few states have standardized benefit duration, while most have different durations depending upon the worker. In a state with varied duration, it is probable that the benefit year may include less than 26 payable weeks.

The calculation is normally which us smaller: 26xWBA or 1/3 BPW. WBA is the Weekly Benefit Amount, so 26xWBA would be the regular week program. 1/3 BPW refers to the Base Period Wages, so if a person did not succeed to earn more than 3 times the standard benefit amount, they will be suitable for fewer weeks of coverage.

How much weekly benefit will I receive:

You can guess your Potential Benefits Online. Your weekly benefit amount and the number of weeks of entitlement to benefits are based on the wages you were paid and amount of time you worked during your base period. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by dividing the sum of the wages earned during the highest quarter of the base period by 26, rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. The result cannot exceed the utmost weekly benefit permitted by rule.

The base period is the term used to describe the time frame used as the basis for deciding whether or not you will be monetarily eligible for unemployment.

How are Benefits Calculated:

Once you make out how the unemployment are calculated, you will have a fair idea of how much you could receive per week or per benefit period if you were to lose your job. This is significant when you think taking unemployment or searching another job.

Unemployment is computed and one half of what your weekly pay was at the time of the discharge up to your state's maximum benefit. You will have to verify with your state's unemployment office to see what the highest payout for your state is. For further details refer unemployment benefits article.

Recently Asked Questions:

What if I change my address?
Report any change of address online at or contact the Claims Processing Center. This will prevent a delay in receiving payments or information. The Post Office will not forward any mail from the Unemployment Insurance Division. If the division cannot contact you, benefits will be stopped.

After I file my claim, when should I call the Claims Processing Center?
You should contact us to report.
  • Any job separation that occurs during the claim
  • A suspension from work - paid or unpaid
  • Any job offered or work referral that you do not accept or apply for
  • New self employment
  • Retirement pension not previously reported
  • Any Worker’s Compensation payments received due to wage loss
  • Enrollment in school and any change in school schedule
  • Illness or injury that would prevent you from working or require you to take time off
  • Vacation or leave of absence from work
  • Inability to work or look for work
  • Not being available to work customary hours
  • Refusal to work or look for work
Is information verified?
Yes, information is verified by several different methods to insure only those who are entitled to benefits receive them. It is important to give complete and true information every time you provide information to the Unemployment Insurance Division. Separation information is verified with employers to determine eligibility for benefits. Verification is done in writing or by telephone.
  • Federal law requires all claims to be subject to random audit. If your claim is selected, your job search contacts, earnings and other information in your file will be verified.
  • Employers are required to report any new employees hired. This information is matched against unemployment insurance claims.
Can I cancel my claim?
Yes, if you notify the Claims Processing Center, in writing or by calling, within 10 days from the date you opened your initial claim.

Why can it take so long to get a decision?
The Claims Processing Center investigates each issue on your claim. When the issue involves a job separation, both you and the employer are given up to 8 days to provide any supporting information. When conflicting information is received, the process can take longer. These steps are important to arrive at the right decision and pay benefits correctly.

My employer thinks I should get benefits, why am I not eligible?
Employers do not determine eligibility. The Unemployment Insurance Division reviews information provided by both you and your employer to determine if your separation meets eligibility requirements based on Montana law and rule.

Why do I have to file for benefits every 2 weeks?
Montana pays benefits bi-weekly. This means you request payment 2 weeks at a time, just like submitting a timecard for a paycheck every 2 weeks. For each week you will be asked a series of questions. Your answers to the questions certify that you have met the eligibility requirements for each week.

If I made a mistake when filing my bi-weekly claim what do I do?
If you immediately realize you made an error, you can go back into your claim through or call the IVR and correct your information. If you have questions, call the Claims Processing Center.

Can I go to school and receive benefits?
Possibly, if your school attendance does not interfere with your ability to find and accept full-time work or you are in training approved by the Unemployment Insurance Division. If you did not report this when you filed/reopened your claim, you must call the Claims Processing Center to report the details of your school attendance.

Can I get more money after my benefits run out?
No, once you have been paid your maximum benefit amount(MBA) during a claim year, you must wait until that claim expires before opening a new Montana claim.

Do I need to register for work at the Workforce Service Center?
Yes, you must register for work at the Workforce Service Center unless you are considered job attached or union attached. Workforce Service staff can assist with testing, counseling, job training programs, and job seeking skills.

Can anyone obtain information about my claim or file for my benefits?
No, unless you have given written authority to allow another person to obtain information on your claim. You are the only one who will have access to your claim information and you are the only one who can file for your benefits. Allowing another person to have access to your PIN and file benefits for you is considered fraud and may have legal consequences.