Nebraska Unemployment Application
Unemployment Insurance is a state-federal program that provides temporary cash benefits to eligible workers who are currently unemployed through no fault of their own. Each state administers a separate unemployment insurance program, but all states have to follow the guidelines established by federal law. These benefits are in place only to aid unemployed individuals to survive until they find a new job. Click here to know benefit comparison between states.
Please note that a weeks time is required to process your documents after which your eligibility status will be declared.
You can apply for unemployment insurance benefits –
You should apply for unemployment insurance benefits immediately when your job has ended or your employer has reduced your work hours. Your unemployment insurance claim DOES NOT begin on the date your job ended or your hours were cut back. You must apply first. Claims start on the Sunday of the week you submit your unemployment insurance application.
Have the following items ready before applying:
- Social Security Number
- Name (including prior names, for example maiden or married names)
- Complete home mailing address, including ZIP code Telephone number County you live in
- Driver’s license number or ID card
- Employment authorization number and expiration date (if a non-citizen)
- DD 214 Member #4 Form (if you served in the military in the past 18 months)
- If you select direct deposit, you will need your bank routing number and account number.
Your Employer’s Information
- The company names for all your employers from the past 18 months as they appear on your paycheck stubs or W-2 forms
- Complete mailing addresses for those employers, including ZIP code and the city in which the business is physically located
- Your start and end dates with each employer you worked for in the past 18 months including month, day, year.
- Your total wages earned with each employer and how you were paid (hourly, weekly, monthly).
- Your reason for leaving each of those employers (quit, fired, lack of work, leave of absence, etc.).
File A New Unemployment Insurance Claim
Apply for benefits the same week you are unemployed or your hours are greatly reduced.
• File online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Call the Nebraska Claims Center at 402-458-2500.
Normal business hours are monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm CST. You will know the claim has been completed upon receipt of a confirmation number.