All States » Nebraska

Nebraska Unemployment Benefit Questions

How long do I have to work to qualify for benefits?

You must have minimum earnings of $3962 from all employment during the regular/alternate base period. Of this minimum amount, $1850 must have been paid in one quarter and $800 in another quarter. Once these minimum requirements are met, the total number of weeks payable on the claim is determined by the total wages paid in the base period.

What are the other requirements besides money that must be met to draw benefits?

In order to qualify to receive benefits, an individual must be able to work; be available for work; and if not returning in the near future to a former employer, industry or do not find work through a union hiring hall, you must actively seek work each week. If directed to do so, you must also register for Employment Services and maintain an active resume online or at any Nebraska Department of Labor Career Center. If directed to do so you must report your weekly work search contacts online using the Work Search Log. You will need to request weekly benefits for each week you are unemployed or your hours are reduced.

Does attending school affect Unemployment benefits?

If you are regularly attending school, you may be disqualified from benefits unless you were a student at the time you earned the majority of the wages in your base period. An exception may apply if you are enrolled or plan to enroll in a training program, which has been approved by the Commissioner of Labor.


Visit out Q&A Section to know more.
Questions on Eligibility can be found here.

Questions & Answers

  1. Robin says:

    I received a severance package from my former employer, will I qualify for benefits once my severance runs out if I have not found employment?

    • Sam says:

      That is correct. Please consider applying for Unemployment Insurance after the expiry of the Severance payout if you still remain unemployed.

  2. Randy Gartner says:

    I took a FLMA leave from work for a knee replacement and after 120days the doctor did not release me and I lost my job, can I get unemployment benefits

    • Sam says:

      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *