New Jersey Unemployment Benefit Questions

What do I do if I am receiving unemployment benefits and I move out-of-state?

If you move out-of-state while you are claiming New Jersey unemployment benefits, you must right away call 1-888-795-6672 to report the address change.  Unemployment checks will not be forwarded.

If you worked in New Jersey and have relocated to another State before filing an unemployment claim, you must still file the claim against New Jersey.  You may file your claim on the Internet as well.

You may also call any of the New Jersey Reemployment Call Centers at the following numbers (not toll-free):

Freehold Reemployment Call Center: (732) 761-2020

Cumberland Reemployment Call Center: (856) 507-2340

Union City Reemployment Call Center: (201) 601-4100

Who do I contact if I suspect someone is receiving unemployment benefits illegally?

You can protect your unemployment insurance funds.  If you suspect someone is obtaining unemployment benefits illegally, please contact at the following numbers:

Telephone No: (609) 777-4304

Mailing Address: Benefit Payment Control, PO Box 043, Trenton, NJ 08625

FAX No.: (609) 292-5593

If I am hired with medical benefits, is my employer allowed to stop this benefit?

Yes. An employer may stop medical benefits however, the employer is needed to give notice if the medical benefits are being stopped or the medical benefits are changing.

If the medical benefits are being discontinued, the employer must provide 30 days advance notice in writing. If the medical benefit plan is changing the employer must tell the employees in writing immediately once the employer is notified by the health insurer.

169 thoughts on “New Jersey Unemployment Benefit Questions”

  1. gary says:

    I have 2 employers on my claim. One of my employers lied on phone interview says I quit (when I was fired) and my other employer didn’t reply. Does my claim get denied since one of my employers lied

    1. Sam says:


      If the office denied on the basis of what your employer said on record, you can file an appeal and prove your stance with supporting paperwork. You will be called for a hearing if you were to appeal the decision.

  2. Adrienne Lioy says:

    I have been collecting unemployment with one temporary agency, due to lack of work.since Drcember 2017. . However I worked this week for 9 hours with another temporary agency for one day only. Please advise how I should report this in my claim for unemployment insurance, since it is a different agency for only one day, not full time. 4I want to be sure to do this correctly. Thank you.

    1. Sam says:


      Please call the Claims Center and speak to a representative for detailed instructions.

  3. Al says:

    I was on FMLA till April 18 at school. At board meeting April 24 my contract was not renewed. Can I collect unemployment?

    1. Sam says:


      Contract workers are generally not eligible due to the contract terms. Please check with your employer if they remitted Unemployment Taxes and apply accordingly.

  4. Belle says:

    I live in New Jersey and I am moving to Arizona and want to transfer my unemployment. what are the steps I need to take? I have been to two different unemployment offices,and got no helpful answers. I think I need to fill out some paper work, but I cant get an answer.

    1. Sam says:


      You can start by contacting the Unemployment Office in NJ. They will guide you.

  5. Toni says:

    I think you are giving out wrong information on Severance pay.
    I hope Luis didn’t miss out. Depending on how Severance is
    given, you may be able to collect U.I. Benefits despite receiving
    Severance pay. My co workers just did this.

    Also, if you live in one State but work in another, you file U.I. claim
    in the state you worked in. I lived in NJ but worked in NY. I had to file
    U.I. claim with NY.


    I the last digit of my ssn is 9 do I claim weekly benefits on Monday or Wednesday.

  7. chris says:


    1. Sam says:


      I am guessing you should be able to. Please use the link below to ascertain benefits and also call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  8. Allen says:

    I was denied unemployment and appealed. Had my hearing and got a letter today the determination of deputy is reversed does this mean I won?

    1. Sam says:


      I am not sure what exactly it means. Please call the Unemployment Office to find out.

  9. Tay says:

    I worked in Pennsylvania for two years but I live in New Jersey, I went out on maternity leave and my job did not pay me. Am I able to claim unemployment benefits in New Jersey? I worked in worked in New Jersey prior to working this job.

    1. Sam says:


      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  10. Annette Kantor says:

    Your web site will not let me sign I. Its been months. Please help me, its a new claim and I really need my benefits

  11. Karen says:

    March 2017 I was hired to work a 40 hour week job in NJ. This job ended in September, 2017. I picked up a part time 28 hour week job and at this point it is not working out well. Can I now claim benefits based on the FT job that ended in September? I am assuming I can collect Unemployment based on the fact I was employed FT for over 20 weeks .
    Thank you

    1. Sam says:


      You should be able to claim UI benefits under such circumstances. Please call the Unemployment Office to confirm before applying.

  12. Genie says:

    Employer is eliminating my position at my job. Offered me a different location to work at within the company. The location i was offered to go to is about an hour away from home. I requested to be considered for travel expense and it was denied they cannot give me any assistance to increase for my salary. I would be over an hour from home no compensation. If I do not accept the transfer due to the distance, wage loss, and prohibits me to care for my children who are over an hour away. Will i be denied for UI?

    1. Sam says:


      It may be considered voluntary. Please consult the Unemployment Office before making a decision.

  13. Jason Gorlewski says:

    I filed online to reopen my claim. I am having a very hard time getting ahold of someone to speak with. I need to speak with someone right a way please. I love out of state so I can not go to an office. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    1. Sam says:


      Please check your claims status on the department’s website.

  14. Deborah Smith says:

    If I was only out of work for 2 days can I collect unemployment

    1. Sam says:


      UI benefits are only extended to those who’ve been fully unemployed.

  15. Allen says:

    My doctor has me on leave due to an illness and said that I should only work day work. I am on night shift now and there is no daywork available. I’ve been out of work using up my vacation and sick time but that is going to run out. Should I just let them terminate me. Would that make it better to collect unemployment

    1. Sam says:


      Personal reasons such as health issues are generally not considered. Please contact the Unemployment Office to discuss your situation.

  16. Matt says:

    My school employer also asked me to resign due to issues I’ve had with a superviser. They said they will not contest my unemployment but I don’t trust them. Once I resign I loose all my rights. If I resign as poor job performance will I be denied?

    1. Sam says:


      If you do not trust them, please make sure to keep supporting documents handy in case of a dispute after you apply for UI benefits.

  17. Allen says:

    I work in a school district in New Jersey and they’re asking me to resign due to a poor job performance. I heard if I didn’t resign I am not eligible for unemployment benefits. They told me they will not contest but I do not trust them. What are my options

    1. Sam says:


      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for details.

  18. Samantha says:

    Is there a phone number for any questions for NJ unemployment?

  19. Diane says:

    I live in NJ and was hired through an Agency as temp to a client. I’ve worked with this client on a full time basis 40 hours per week for over 5 years. The temp agency is considered my employer. Will I still qualify to collect UI benefits? Also, is the temp agency obligated to continue my insurance coverage of medical and dental?

    1. Sam says:


      If your agency paid unemployment taxes into the system, you should be able to claim UI benefits. I do not have any insights into the latter part of your question. Please research on the internet.

  20. John says:

    I live in PA. I have two small kids. I was employed in NJ from Jan 2016 to May 2017. Due to traveling 45-60 minutes each way, I left my job for a job closer to home and for a job I did not have to travel 4-5 days away from home once a month. The job was a reduction in pay but I was able to work weekends, which enabled me to be home 1 or 2 days with my kids. I was recently let go from my new job in PA and my employer said he would not fight unemployment. I attempted to put a claim in PA but was refused because I did not work long enough in PA. Am I able to file a claim in NJ since I worked there over a year? I originally left for a job closer to home so that I would be able to spend more time with my family. Will I be denied unemployment in NJ? Again, PA said I dont qualify because I did not work long enough.

    1. Sam says:


      One should ideally apply from the state where the last employment was based. I suggest you call the Unemployment Office in NJ to inquire further.

  21. dennis fread says:

    I was a fulltime employee for 36 years.As of August 21 2017,I was made part time.
    Now I only work 28 hours per week ,instead of 40 hours per week.Can I collect partial
    unemployment,for the 12 hours pay I will be missing?

    1. Sam says:


      Yes, you should be able to collect partial UI benefits if the hours were reduced due to involuntary reasons. Please consider applying.

  22. Hildegard Melamed says:

    My hours have been reduced from 5.8 per day to 4 hours per day. Is there such a thing as partial unemployment compensation?four

    1. Sam says:

      Yes, please consider applying for partial UI benefits for reduced hours at work.

  23. victoria says:

    If you reccieve contract work and no longer need unemployment then your contract ends, can you go back on unemployment?

    1. Sam says:

      Contract workers are generally not eligible to claim UI benefits.

      Please call the Unemployment Office to inquire further.

  24. Irene says:

    I live in California my husband is being offered a job in New Jersey if we move can I claim unemployment in the state of New Jersey.

    1. Sam says:

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  25. richard says:

    hello,I would like to file for unemployment,but before I do how do I find out if I am eligible for it.Years ago I filled and I stated that I was layed off,which was true.I started getting checks from unemployment for about 4 months, then I was notified from unemployment that my company stated that I was fired not layed off.I had to repay all the money.I do not want that to happen again.can they check my eligibility before I actualy file.

    1. Sam says:


      You may call the Unemployment Office in your state to check eligibility on the basis of existing records. They will better advise you.

  26. Maria says:

    If I go on leave from work will I be able to collect unemployment during my time on leave?

    1. Sam says:


      You will not be able to claim under such circumstances.

  27. tish says:

    ok I am a substitute I get unemployment benefits for july august and September and just got hired at a school for the next school year so since I don’t get paid again until the 15th of September can I claim my benefits since I technically still dnt have a job.

    1. Sam says:

      You can be eligible, provided you have weeks left in your account.

      Please call the Claims Center to inquire further and apply accordingly.

  28. Bren says:

    If I was working 8:30-6pm & then the company changed my hours 12-8pm & I tell them them hours are not good for me can I leave & collect since I was working them regular hours on my contract for almost 2 years

    1. Sam says:

      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

      Please call the Unemployment Office.

  29. Charlice says:

    I’ll be separating from the Navy on November 30th, what are the steps I need to take to claim unemployment compensation?

    1. Sam says:

      If should be similar to that of a civilian. You can apply over the phone or on the internet.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for further information.

  30. Steven share says:

    Reside in nj but worked in New York. Where do I file?

    1. Sam says:

      Please file from the state where your employment was based.

  31. bernard says:

    how long does it take someone to get unemployment. What if they are working, during the period they are waiting? it has been 5 months and my friend who owes me says it takes longer.

    1. Sam says:

      It should ideally not take more than 7-10 business days for the initial claims to be processed and paid.

      Please reach out to the Unemployment Office by phone for clarification.

  32. bill says:

    I went out on temp disability in nov 2015, I am now able to go back to work. Its may 2017, if my company lays me off can I collect since I was out on disability for that length of time

    1. Sam says:

      If you’re now able and available for work, you can be eligible to claim if your employer lays you off due to involuntary reasons.

  33. Nan says:

    I work at a religious day school, one day a week. My position will not longer be available. Am I eligible to collect??

    1. Sam says:

      If you’re on the rolls off the school and your employer pays Unemployment taxes into the system, you can be eligible to collect benefits.

  34. Bill says:

    If you primarily work in NJ but you have worked a few weeks in Pennsylvania, is that income considered into you gross income earned for consideration for unemployment benefits when filing for unemployment in NJ.

    1. Sam says:

      I am not able to provide a definite answer to your question.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in NJ.

  35. Bryan says:

    Is there a time limit required from when you lose your job to when you can claim unemployment benefits ?

    1. Sam says:

      It’s good if you apply immediately since they consider your employment and earnings in the last 4-5 calendar quarters.

  36. Luis Rivera says:

    If company shuts down and we are given a package of 25 hours for every year of service when can I start to collect unemployment

    1. Sam says:

      If it’s a Severance pay you’re getting from the company, please apply for Unemployment Insurance after expiry of the payout.

  37. donna Mccrea says:

    If a person is let go from their job because they have to call out because their child is sick or they have to leave work because the child school call to say your child is sick for you to pick him up.
    (child has bad allergy.) Is this consider the fault of the Mother

    1. Sam says:

      Unfortunately, personal reasons are not considered. Having said this, if the mother was asked to leave without proper justification, UI benefits can be claimed.

      Please check further with the Unemployment Office.

  38. nancy says:

    i attend workforce training course and benefits ran out after 26 weeks; forms were filled out for extension while still in class. must I call unemployment to have extension take effect or will it update automatically in system and when???
    frustrated we did all paperwork and says funds exhausted online. help.

    1. Sam says:

      The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  39. Harold says:

    Should I declare the tax deducted from my weekly state benefits on form 1040?

    1. Sam says:

      For tax purposes, you will receive 1099-G from the Unemployment Office. Please visit the official website for further details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer a simple Math question: *