New York Unemployment Application
Claims for Unemployment Insurance must be filed at the earliest post losing your job. All claimants are expected to serve a waiting period of one week before you start receiving benefit checks. If you delay filing for UI, you will face unnecessary delays in receiving benefit checks.
Filing for UI
UI claims can be filed either via post, telephone or the Internet.
Filing online is considered to be the fastest and easiest way to claim. To file claims online, visit DOL website and sign in with your NY.GOV id and follow the instructions provided on the site. Following are the timings for filing UI claims.
For filing claims online –
- 7:30 am to 7:30 pm – Monday through Thursday
- 7:30 am to 5:00 pm – Fridays
- 12:01 am Saturday to 7:00 pm Sunday – Weekends
Timing for claiming benefits
- Saturday/Sunday – 12:01 am to midnight
- Monday to friday – 07:30 am to midnight
Filing through the telephone is the next available option. To file claims via phone, call the following toll free numbers during 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday.
- 1-888-209-8124 (For NY residents)
- 1-877-358-5306 (For claimants from other states)
Before you file for UI, keep the following information ready –
- Social security number (SSN)
- Personal identification number (PIN)
- Full name, mailing address and contact numbers
- Employment history during base period which includes
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of all employers of base period jobs
- Dates of joining and relieving of all base period jobs
- Copies of SF 8 and SF 50 if you are an ex- Federal Govt. employee
- Alien registration number if you are not a citizen of U.S.
- Most recent separation form, DD 214, if you are ex-Military personnel
Filing you claims without complete information may delay your benefit checks unnecessarily. If you are opting to have the amount credited to your account, you may have to attach a check to your application. Also, if you are filing for UI from NY for the first time, you may have to create a PIN.