North Carolina Unemployment Application
Updated : February 18th, 2021
DES (Department of Employment Security) provides three methods for individuals to file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits. Please review the following options for the method which best suits your needs.
All three options are available for those individuals who are totally separated from their employment, and wish to apply for benefits.
1. File Online: this option allows claimants to apply for benefits online. You can file for benefits and register for work in as little as 20 minutes.
Hours of Availability:
- Monday – Friday: 6:00 A.M. – 9:30 P.M. ET
- Saturday: 6:00 A.M. – 12:00 Midnight ET
- Sunday: 12:00 Noon – 9:30 P.M. ET
2. File by Telephone: DES provides a toll-free number which allows individuals to file for benefits. Customers can call 1-877-841-9617 (toll-free, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week) to file an initial claim.
Employers are responsible for filing attached claims for workers on temporary layoff.
3. You can also apply for unemployment insurance benefits in person, at any NESC office.
Gather Necessary Documents
Before you file your unemployment claim, be sure you have your:
- Social Security number
- Registration number for former employers
- Names of all former employers over the past 12-18 months
- Dates worked for each employer
- Rate of pay for each job
Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–>Calculate your benefits here
Unemployed?? ——>Check your eligibility for unemployment benefits