North Dakota Unemployment Benefits

Claim your benefits
Mark Icon
Check Your Eligibility
calculator icon
Calculate Your Benefits
Apply Icon
Apply For Benefits
Man icon

Are you physically able to work?


Are you willing to actively look for a job?


dollar icon

Did your employer pay unemployment taxes ("Covered Employment")?


Did you earn at least $ 2795 in the base period in

Base period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters. If you are filing today, base period is Oct through Dec 2016 to Jul through Sep,2017


question icon

How did you lose your job?

Quit Fired Laid Off

Did you quit your last job due to unsafe working conditions, not being paid, discrimination and / or health and safety risks?


Were you fired for no fault of your own?


Were you laid off for no fault of your own?


phone icon
CALL: (701) 328-4995 to file an Unemployment Compensation Claim (Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Time). Unemployment Insurance for Employers: (701) 328-2814; TTY - Relay ND : (800) 366-6888;

you are not eligible

State Name: North Dakota

     Wages Earned:





Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website.
Disclaimer: The estimates are given in good faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for loss or damage caused by the tools on our website.

    State: North Dakota (ND)
    Phone Number: (701) 328-4995 to file an Unemployment Compensation Claim (Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Time). Unemployment Insurance for Employers: (701) 328-2814; TTY - Relay ND : (800) 366-6888;
    File Online:
    Major Towns: Bismarck, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Mandan, Minot, and West Fargo

    Current Unemploymnet Rate in North Dakota

    North Dakota Unemployment Questions

    Am I eligible?
    To be eligible for unemployment benefits you must:
    • Have been separated from employment through no fault of your own or have had your hours reduced.
    • Be able to work.
    • Be available for work.
    • Be actively seeking employment.
    • Be found monetarily eligible - a claimant establishes monetary eligibility based on work performed during a specific one-year period called the base period.
    When should I file my claim?
    For unemployment insurance purposes the week begins on Sunday and ends on the following Saturday at midnight.
    • You should file your claim the week in which you become unemployed.
    • The effective date of your claim is the Sunday of the week it is filed.
    • Claims cannot be backdated to an earlier week so it is important to file as soon as possible after becoming unemployed.
    What information will I need to file my claim?
    Information you will need to have available when you file:
    • Your Social Security Number
    • Name, address and telephone number of all employers for whom you worked in the last 18 months or since last registering
    • Wage you are willing to accept
    • Union Local name and number
    • DD214 member copy 4 (proof of military service and wages)
    • F8 and SF50 (proof of federal civilian service and wages)
    • Your alien identification number (non-U.S. citizen authorized to work in the U.S.)
    How do I file my claim?
    There are two ways to file your claim:
    • Online using Job Service North Dakota's UI ICE internet site, or;
    • By telephone using our automated telephone system by calling (701) 328-4995
    What would prevent me from receiving benefit payments?
    In order to be eligible to receive benefit payments Job Service must find that the reason(s) you are no longer working are not disqualifying and that you meet all other eligibility requirements of the unemployment insurance program. Examples of other eligibility requirements include:
    • You are able and available to accept work
    • You are actively seeking work
    • You have an active resume on file with Job Service
    • You have completed all re-employment related activities as directed by Job Service

Questions & Answers

  1. KJ says:

    If I worked in ND and now I am in CA because my husband was transferred can I claim unemployment?

    • Martin says:

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  2. James says:

    I am currently working in North Dakota, but I live in Va, will I be able to receive benefits from ND after working from July to the middle of October?

    • Martin says:

      If you lose the job due to involuntary reasons, you can be eligible to draw UI compensation from ND. Please read the content provided on this page for details on eligibility criteria.

    • James says:

      I guess my question should have been more directed towards eligibility due to lack of “base period”. Is the only way to qualify to have the 12 to 18 months of work history or is their some kind of partial benefit or anything to your knowledge?

      • Martin says:

        Each state has its own rules with regard to partial employment. I suggest that you call the Unemployment Office for accurate information.

  3. Kay says:

    As an employer, how long do we need to report and pay unemployment taxes on long term disability payments?

    • Martin says:

      We do not have the required knowledge in this regard.

      You may call the Unemployment Office for precise information.

  4. Bryan says:

    Just wondering if North Dakota pays partial unemployment benefits if i resume work but not at my previous hours, and my gross earning are just barely more than the weekly benefit. They told me up to 60% of my weekly benefit in gross earnings would not affect it but would not answer my other question.

    • Martin says:

      As far as I am aware, all states provide partial UI benefits.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state for further information in this regard.

  5. Mike Tucker says:

    Once you have been approved for UE Benefits how long do you have to wait until you get a check?

    • Martin says:

      The first payment generally takes about a week.

      If you do not receive within this time frame, please call the claims center for an update.

  6. Vonnie says:

    My husband is struggling to keep us a float. We need to move in with family before we lose everything we own. My family lives in Missouri and we need to move. He has asked his employer to lay him off the last 2 times they have laid off workers and they still haven’t. Can we get unemployment if we move? We can’t pay our rent!

  7. Mike says:

    I was fired today for personal conduct they won’t tell me anything else would I be eligible for unemployment bennifits

    • Martin says:

      You will not be eligible since UI benefits are only extended to those who lose their job due to involuntary reasons such as lay offs.

  8. Tonya Daniell says:

    My dad was laid off in November from a large oil field company and received a 6 week severance in a lump sum. Would he still be eligible for UE?

  9. Lina says:

    Resident and worker of North Dakota…Just went through a layoff with a large oil company. Filed for unemployment right away and employer provided their information right away. Has been six weeks since filing and each week the DOL says they are just too overloaded to “get to” most cases for verification. What rights do I have to get things moving in receiving my unemployment (since there are NO jobs!).

  10. patsy colwell says:

    My Son is being starved out of his oil field job in ND. They do not lay off workers but reduce their hours below 40 hours and even more so they finally quit their jobs to look for other jobs in other areas so they can support their family. I believe Cruz energy is doing this to avoid paying unemployment insurance to qualified employees. This feels illegal . I know if he quit he wont qualify for UE but so few hours is really hurting family etc. How should we proceed and is he eligible for UE for any weeks where he is given less than 40 hour. It is a waiting game hoping he will starve and have to leave South Dakato . Please advise can he file UE

    • Jeff says:

      Please report this to the labor authorities in your state. If there is an unfair practice, it should be brought to the the attention.

      On the flip-side, one can claim unemployment compensation for any reduction in the number of hours worked.

  11. Nicholas long says:

    Can’t work because of back pain

    • Jeff says:

      You will not qualify for Unemployment Benefits as compensation is only provided to those who are able and available to work.

      If the issue is work related, please explore benefits under Workers Comp scheme.

  12. Deannawolfe says:

    What web site and how do I file an appeal on my benefits

    • Adrian says:

      If you are looking at appealing in ND,please use the number (800) 351-9098 which is a dedicated line for instructions on filing appeals.

  13. Larry Winkfein says:

    Will federal employees who reside in North Dakota be eligible for unemployment benefits if they are furloughed in the up and coming defense budget cuts? Thank you.

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *

State Unemployment Guides