All States » North Dakota

North Dakota Unemployment Benefit Questions

How will my pension affect my benefits?

Pension, retirement, annuity, or other similar periodic payments will reduce your weekly benefit payments if employers in your “base period” contributed to or maintained the pension plan.

Pensions that may reduce your payment can include private employer and union pensions, state and local government pensions, federal civil service pensions (including disability pensions), military retirement pensions (non-disability and disability), and railroad retirement annuities.

Nondeductible pensions include Social Security pensions and pensions based on the extent of disability or injury rather than length of service, such as, Veterans Administration service-connected disability compensation.

It is your responsibility to keep Job Service North Dakota informed of any changes in your retirement amount. Please notify immediately when you receive a notice of benefit change from your pension source. Failure to do so may result in a substantial overpayment or underpayment of your unemployment insurance benefits.

What to do if I am moving out of North Dakota?

Your unemployment insurance benefits may stop if you fail to notify Job Service before you move out-of-state. Call the Claims Center at 701-328-4995 (TTY: 800-366-6888) for instructions on how to continue your claim once you move outside North Dakota.

What is misrepresentation or fraud?

You will be disqualified from benefits – and subject to criminal prosecution – if you knowingly make false statements or fail to report material facts in an attempt to collect unemployment insurance benefits. The disqualification period for misrepresentation or fraud may be imposed over a long period of time. Provide accurate and complete information at Job Service North Dakota’s request. You must repay any benefits you receive as a result of failing to report facts.

More Questions?? —-> Read Benefit Q & A Section

Questions & Answers

  1. joe says:

    I am attached to an employer and I am being laid off but I have a position with the employer will return to that employer. Do I have to do job search while waiting to be recalled? I could not find how North Dakota treats attached employees in your information.

    • Martin says:

      Well, if you’re unemployed, the required number of job searches have to be made. There is no option.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for further details in this regard.

  2. Alan says:

    Currently receiving North Dakota UI benefits, if previous employer ask me to come back to work and I refuse, do I lose benefits

  3. Amber jacobson says:

    I was fired from my job and unable to find work because of moving.

    • Martin says:

      You can only be eligible to draw UI benefits if you lost the job due to involuntary reasons such as lay off’s.

      Please call the Unemployment Office to check the eligibility.

  4. Randy Nelson says:

    How many weeks can I get unemployment benefits? My form says I am eligible for just 12 weeks of benefits. Is that correct, or can I get an extension if I haven’t found work in time?

    • Martin says:

      Once can get “upto” 26 weeks of UI benefits. It all depends on how much you were approved for.

      Please note there is no federal extension available.

  5. Patrick says:

    I been working in ND UND/SMHS IBEW 1426 since Aug 15. ROF Apr/6/16, My company was out of MN, I had worked in MN earlier in 2015, where should I apply for insurance.

  6. John Jones says:

    If I get a wage cut, can I collect unemployment on the difference?

    • Martin says:

      Please check further with the Unemployment Office in your state.

      Reduction in the working hours does qualify. Not sure about wage reduction.

  7. Kim kovalyak says:

    I needed to quit my job in Oregon to move here because my husband down a job here. Can I claim unemployment until I can find a job here?

    • Martin says:

      Personal reasons are not considered. You will not qualify for Unemployment Benefits.

      • deb says:

        Your are wrong regarding last question …. husband found job in another state? You CAN collect unemployment if a spouse follows husband or wife because of relocating for work. You CAN quit your job and fill for unemployment in the state where you worked and move to where your spouse moved too for work.

        • Martin says:

          Thank you for the feedback.

          As far as I am aware, most of the states consider it as voluntary and hence UI benefits are not provided. Again, it depends o the situation and varies from one state to another.

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *