Oklahoma Unemployment Job Search Requirements
Updated : June 25th, 2019
Before proceeding, please note that you are required to register for employment services within seven days of filing your unemployment claim.
The Oklahoma Employment Security Act says that an unemployed individual is eligible to receive benefits for the week where that individual is able, available and actively seeking suitable employment at a pay rate generally available in their area of the state in keeping with his/her work experience, education or training.
Specific work search instructions will be handed out when you file your unemployment claim. You are required to keep a record of the contacts on a form. You must be involved in a minimum of two activities per week (including work search contacts) in attempting to secure employment.
Work Search Requirements
- Work search contacts must be made within the week for which benefits are being claimed.
- You must contact a minimum of two different employers each week to meet the minimum work search requirement.
- In-person and telephone contacts should be made with an individual in the company who has hiring authority.
- Contacts should be for work you are willing and qualified to do, pay that you are willing to accept, and in the area that you are willing to work.
- Contacts cannot be repeated with the same employer until four weeks have passed. The same contact should not be listed on consecutive weeks except for agencies that offer multiple placement services. All work search contacts are subject to verification.
- Failure to make the required number of work searches each week could result in a denial in benefits and possible overpayment.
- Your claim may be selected for an audit, and it is your responsibility to retain your booklet with the information for two years.
- Union members that have a hiring hall must contact the hiring hall each week. If you do not have a hiring hall, you must make the required number of work searches each week.
If you file an Unemployment Insurance claim and do not live in Oklahoma, you will be required to register for employment with the state in which you reside. If you are a member of a trade or labor union or if you are on a temporary layoff with a definite return to work date within eight weeks of your last day of work, you may also be exempt from registering for employment with that state. You will be required to submit a copy of your union card or return to work letter from your employer when submitting your identification.
Next Step: Weekly Claims to receive payment each week