• check eligibility
  • benefits calculator
  • apply for benefits
State: Oregon (OR)
Phone Number:541-388-4066 if you live in Bend, Madras, Prineville, or Redmond; call 503-375-7900 if you live in Dallas, Salem local area; 503-224-0405 if you live in Newberg, Portland, and Woodburn; and (800) 982-8920 for all the other locations. Dial 711 if you want to make use of TTY Relay Service.
Major Towns:Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Bend, Medford, Springfield and Corvallis.
Current Unemploymnet Rate in Oregon

Oregon Unemployment Questions

What can I expect after I file my unemployment application?

Whether you file your initial unemployment application online or by telephone, staff need to process the application. This can take a few days when workload is heavy. Once the application is processed, the unemployment depatment will mail you a Wage and Potential Benefit Report and a Claimant Handbook.

On the first Sunday or Monday after you filed your application, file a claim for the prior week. You can file your claim for the prior week online or by phone on our Weekly Claim Line. You need to file a weekly claim for each week you are unemployed and wish to receive benefits, including your first or “waiting week.“

If there are any issues on your claim to investigate, be sure to respond to all letters or telephone messages right away. Continue to make your weekly claims while investigation is in process. If you don’t make a weekly claim, the investigation can't begin. It can take three to four weeks to complete the investigation.

You may be scheduled to attend an orientation meeting at a WorkSource Oregon office. If you do not go, your benefits will be delayed. Depending on the reason you didn’t go, your benefits could be denied.

How do I get my PIN? And what is a CID?

Personal Identification Number

You chose a Personal Identification Number (PIN) when you first filed your initial unemployment application, whether you filed online or by telephone. You will use the same PIN throughout your claim. You will need it whenever you access the Online Claim System and to claim weekly benefits whether online or by telephone. Agency employees do not know your PIN. If you forget it, you will have to ask to reset it so that you can choose a new PIN. You are responsible for the security of your PIN. Do not share it with anyone and don’t let others use it.

Claimant Identification Number

Your Claimant Identification Number (CID) is a number assigned only to you at the time you filed your initial unemployment application. We use it on the documents we send to you as a way to safeguard your claim and Social Security number from identity theft. You will need your CID to change your address or apply for direct deposit through the Online Claim System. . The labor department will not give out your CID, even to you if you call, so please keep a record of it.

What is a Waiting Week?

The Waiting Week is the first week on your claim in which you meet all eligibility requirements. You do not receive payment for your waiting week. Every unemployment account must have a Waiting Week before the unemployment department can start making benefit payments.

Important: You must claim the week in order for it to be your Waiting Week. Simply filing your application does not give you credit for your waiting week.

What can delay, stop, or reduce my benefits?

Benefits are payable only if you are eligible. Common issues which require investigation and could result in you not receiving benefits include:

  • Quitting your job;
  • Being fired or suspended from work;
  • Missing an opportunity for work during a week you claim;
  • Refusing work;
  • Turning down or not contacting the employer when referred by a WorkSource Oregon office;
  • Missing a scheduled orientation meeting with a WorkSource Oregon office;
  • Illness or injury;
  • Failing to look for work;
  • School attendance;
  • Being out of the area unless you are looking for work;
  • Not being willing or ready to take work;
  • Receiving retirement pay, vacation pay, or holiday pay;
  • Skipping a week without restarting your claim; and
  • Answering a question on your weekly claim in a way that raises an issue.

If there is a problem, the labor department will contact you either by phone or mail. They will explain the problem and how it could affect your claim. They will ask you for details about the situation. Please reply quickly if you get a form to complete, a letter asking for information, or a telephone message; your benefits could be delayed until you answer. If you do not answer at all, they may deny benefits.

Continue to make your weekly claims either online or on the Weekly Claim Line while the staff investigate your claim.

The unemployment department will make a decision based on information from you, your employer or other sources. If the decision allows benefits and you meet all eligibility conditions, we pay any benefits you have coming. Any time they deny benefits, they will send you a decision explaining why they denied benefits, for what time period, how to requalify, and how to appeal if you disagree.

How do I change my mailing address?

You can change your mailing address through the Online Claim System You will need to enter your Social Security number, your customer ID number (CID) and your PIN in order to access the address change screen. Your CID is printed on every document the unemployment department mail you.

You can also call your UI Center or notify us in writing of your address change, even if you have stopped reporting.

Each January, the labor department mails out Form 1099G, Statement for Recipients of Unemployment Compensation Payments, for use in filing your tax returns. they mail the form to the latest mailing address that they have on each claim. If they don’t have your current address on file, the Post Office will not forward the form.

Note: Changing your address in the iMatchskills program or with the Post Office does not change it on your claim record.

How do I start or stop tax withholding?
You can choose to have state or federal taxes, both, or neither withheld from your benefits. You can change your withholding after filing your claim, but tax regulations require changes to tax withholding be made in writing. Complete an Authorization for Tax Withholding, Form 1040WH, and mail your request to the Employment Department at PO Box 14135, Salem, OR 97309 or fax it to (866) 345-1878. Be sure to include your name and either Social Security number or customer ID number (CID).

How does retirement pay affect my benefits?

Retirement pay could reduce your benefits, make you ineligible, or have no effect at all. If you are not eligible for periodic payments, it has no effect. If an employer for whom you worked during the base year of your claim either contributed to the retirement fund or maintained it, then your retirement pay is deducted dollar for dollar.

Social Security does not affect your benefits unless you do not want to work full time, put limits on the type of work you will do, or if you do not want to look for work any more.

What if I work for a temporary agency?

If you work for a temporary or employee leasing agency, you may receive benefits between assignments or if you are working part time. You must still meet all other eligibility requirements.

You are an employee of the agency even if you always work at other businesses. When restarting your claim after working for a temporary or employee leasing agency, list the agency as your employer, not the business you were sent to help. Also, tell us the reason the assignment ended; lack of work (completed the assignment), quitting (leaving the assignment before it ends), or being fired (taken off the assignment before it ends).

Assignments may last a few hours or days, or may continue for months. When your assignment ends always check in with your agency at once. They may have a new assignment for you. If you refuse a new assignment, you may be disqualified from receiving benefits.

Where can I get help finding a job?
The Employment Department provides a broad range of services to assist in your return to work. Employer job listings, resume writing resources, career exploration tools and labor market information are among the services provided. Staff is available to assist you and introduce you to the services that will benefit you in your work search.

Claimants are required to fully register for work in the electronic job match system (iMatchSkills). Failure to register for work in iMatchSkills will result in a denial of benefits. The requirement does not apply to claimants who are scheduled to return to work within four weeks, or who are limited to seeking work though their union hiring hall. Individuals can register for work using iMatchSkills at People can also register in person at their nearest local employment office.

Federal law requires all states to determine each claimant’s probability of exhausting regular benefits. These claimants are selected to participate in the Worker Profiling program. Federal and state laws requires selected claimants to participate in reemployment services in order to remain eligible for benefits. In Oregon, this program is known as Reemployment Services. The program selects claimants who are likely to exhaust benefits, and provides, through a local office or one-stop partner: * Individual needs and skills assessments * Career information * Labor market information * Résumé writing assistance * Job placement assistance, and * Job search assistance.

If you are selected to participate, it is important that you attend the Orientation and participate in the reemployment services provided. Failing to attend the Orientation or participate may result in a denial of benefits.

Questions & Answers

  1. My partner and I have lived together for 15 years and we have a 7 year old together. We are not married due to complicated extended family issues. I have been employed at the same job for 10 years. My partner recently accepted a job offer in Arizona. We will be moving there in July at which point I will need to quit my job. Can I qualify for trailing spouse benefits?

    1. Julia,

      “Trailing Spouse” benefits are not available in every state. Plus, since you’re not legally wedded, I am not sure if you can claim for a voluntary reason. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  2. I live in very remote areas with zero public transportation. Recently my car broke down leavingme with no wayto getto work . Takes me45 minutes drive time shop walkingis out of the question. I cannot car pool, as none lives out here if i get firedor I have to quit can I receive unemployment benefits?

    1. Lori,

      You might be eligible to claim UI benefits under these conditions. Before deciding on your employment, please call the Unemployment Office to confirm.

  3. Crystal Alexander

    I currently receive UI in California but due to Tubbs Fire, I am being displaced and am offered housing in Oregon. I wanted to know if I am collecting Unemployment Insurance in Ca but move to Oregon, am i eligible for job training or education in Oregon? I REALLY WANT A GREAT JOB! I have two college degrees but i am an older worker and having a hard time with age discrimination at age 58 years young. Please tell me Oregon has assistance where I am able to obtain a great job again. Thank you.

  4. I have applied for UI in Oregon and have gone through all steps to receive benefits except meeting with Workforce Oregon staff. My concern is I recently lost my wallet with current ID and cannot replace it until my birth certificate is sent. This will take up to 90 days. I have 2 photo ids that are expired. Can I use these as proof of identity? I cannot wait 90 days for birth certificate to mail.

  5. After 3 months of claiming unemployment I decided to pursue a call center job. I met with a woman at a hiring agency who told me more about a call center position. I specifically inquired about what it would be like on a day-to-day basis because I recently started counseling for some severe abusive nature from my last place of employment. I cannot put myself into another negative environment while trying to improve my mental health, it’s just that bad. I’ve had deep depression and have been seeing a counselor since August, when the abusive job ended. Still struggling in mental health and rightfully looking for a job that would be at least neutral, if not positive. But two weeks into the call center job, last Friday I got callers so verbally abusive. Calling you “f****** stupid” , “idiot” etc. to no end. No matter how hard you try to be nice and kind to them and ask them to calm down. I had a full on panic attack. Hyperventilating. I was the third person of our training group that day that ended up in that same emotional state. Supervisor told me without a blink and with a smile that it’s just a part of the job and will happen on a day to day basis. At this point, I am literally terrified to go back to work. My preexisting depression was not prepared for this and I did everything I could to ask questions prior to accepting the job to know if this was a wise decision for me or not. My mental health is number one because of how poor of a state it was in to begin with. Now am terrified that if I quit this job and claim unemployment to save myself from feeling worse, I won’t be granted unemployment again due to quitting. I have no idea if it’s worth it to quit now to save my mental health while not knowing if I qualify for unemployment benefits, or if I have to stick it out at this place and watch my mental health deteriorate while I look for another job.

    1. Jamie,

      Please take good care of yourself. It important to stay strong and be optimistic. A claimant can be eligible to claim UI benefits in the backdrop of hostile working conditions. Make sure to check with the Unemployment Office before making a decision.

  6. If my employer layed me off after 29 years because my knees have arthritis which did not affect my duties but they were worried about liability if I got hurt but said that if I strengthend my knees in the next 3 months they would bring me back . do I still have to look for work ? I am 64 years old

    1. Joan,

      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

  7. I live in Wisconsin but am employed in Oregon every year from June-Oct. Am I able to claim benefits? If so in what state do I file the claim? Also what month will my income show up, as I was told not until april of next year is this true?

    1. Shane,

      Please consider filing from the state where your employment was based. With regard to the latter part of your question, I suggest you speak to the Unemployment Office for clarity.

  8. I started a job 2 month ago. I told my employer that I was a recovery drug addict. With 6 months clean and sober time. He said that’s okay I still want to hire you for the painting position.I got the job.been working at different job site its all good.until 7 days ago the new job site I was to work at the apartments I was to be painting. Were the apartments where I was doing drugs at 6 month ago. I told him its not good for my recovery clean and sober time of 6 month. He said he didn’t care about that. I choose not go in that day. Instead I went n/a meeting my clean and sober time was Moore important to me . he could have sent me to a different job to work or just fired so I could look for a new job. Instead im not fired but I have been off work for 7days and still have 5 days to go at least to go. He said on the 12 day we can talk about it. Can I fill for unemployment for the days I lost not work or until. I fide a new job. Or go back to work for him

  9. My current employer is relocating to a place where there is no public transportation. I rely on public transportation since I don’t drive. Am I eligible for unemployment benifits?

  10. I quit my job because my employer was breaking the law. I won a Labor and Wage claim. Can I collect unemployment?

  11. I am currently working in a company where we are short staffed. The work load has been becoming increasingly worse. The result is I am not getting lunches, nor breaks in order to attempt to stay caught up. As well, I am working 8 hours at the site of employment, and another 2 to 4 hours a night at home. I feel this is not a healthy nor safe working condition given I work in the health care field. After 8 hours at the site of employment we are often given more work with a direction that is has to be finished before we go home. Now, at the time of this question we just lost another employee. What are my rights? The upper management argues that we are role models for others and basically have to set an example. However, at the pace that is being demanded I don’t feel the work load is conducive to good health? Now the employer has written me up for tasks not being done in a timely manner. Can I quit this job and receive unemployment under it feeling like a hostile environment?

    1. An employee can be eligible to quit under hostile working conditions and claim.

      The hostility conditions for your employment is best defined by the authorities. Please call the Unemployment Office to check eligibility and decide accordingly.

  12. I began work in May 2016 in Oregon. I was laid off March 10, 2017 at no fault of my own. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits ?

  13. I am currently working as a correctional officer. The job becomes increasingly more dangerous each day. Would I quality for unemployment under these circumstances?

    1. Yes, you can be eligible to claim if the working conditions are hostile.

      Please call the Unemployment Office to find out more before making a decision.

  14. After 17 years on the job I injured my back at work. The injury accepted by workers comp is not my actual lower back problem but my case would be difficult to prove in court, so I am forced to take a settlement. Once the settlement money is used up I’ll have zero income. However I’m only released by my doctor to work 4 hours of light duty with frequent position changes and a number of restrictions. As part of the settlement, my employer will let me go and will not contest unemployment. However, with all my medical restrictions, will I even qualify for unemployment??

  15. My son had to move to Oklahoma from Oregon for family reasons can he draw his unemployment from Oregon while he applies for jobs in Oklahoma

    1. Your son will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  16. I currently have been working at my job for 2yrs, I just was told that I no longer qualify for my housing due to my wage increase. I have no where to go with two little kids in this town so I will need to move as soon as possible. Will I be able to file? I’m not leaving because it’s a choice I want

    1. I can understand your concern. There are exceptions to quitting voluntarily.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state and decide accordingly.

  17. I am 49% owner of a family owned business and we are in the process of closing it down or selling it. My brother has 51%. We are salary and pay Oregon unemployment tax. We can not afford to keep me on the payroll and keep the companying going until we sale or close down. We have one employee. It takes two machine operators to run it. If I am able to collect will I have to look for work or can I help run the office will I am collecting

    1. Well, not sure if you as the owner can claim Unemployment Insurance. Regular claimants will have to look for employment and report the required number of job searches every week.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state for further information.

  18. I told my employer I was going to start looking for a new position and a month later they hired a new person for my position and told me I needed to turn in my resignation. Will I qualify for benefits?

    1. Well, this is a tricky situation since you had nearly resigned due to voluntary reasons.

      Please inquire further with the Labor authorities in your state and apply accordingly.

  19. Hello, I am living in Texas and returning to my home state of Oregon. I plan on quitting my current employer to return to Oregon. I am under a doctors care for stage 3 breast cancer and want to return to Oregon to be near family as I am a single person. Would I be eligible for unemployment while I actively seek a job?

    1. You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state.

  20. Are adjunct faculty members at private liberal arts universities in Oregon eligible for unemployment wages during the non-school seasons? (summer)

  21. I’ve been with same company for 20 years. Very physical work. I’m unable to perform at my job properly due to several conditions that have developed because of the work i do. In the past 6 mths I’ve had to file 2 workers comp claims. I’m considering requesting to be laid off or quitting if they won’t. I can work just not hard physical labor which is what my job entails. Can I collect while I’m trying to find lighter work?

    1. It depends on multiple factors. Generally, personal reasons such as health is not considered. However, there are exceptions.

      Please call the Unemployment Office before making a decision.

  22. can a member of a LLC working with W-2 status collect unemployment payments after the business is closed due to financial hardship?

    1. You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  23. I qualify for unemployment in oregon but would receive only 280 per week if I apply now. If I wait until October 1, I would qualify for the full amount of $525. My question is: If I file now, when would I be permitted to reopen a claim and file again in hopes of getting the full amount of unemployment?
    Thank you.
    Harrison Bauer

    1. Not sure if you can do this.

      Please call the claims center of the Unemployment Office in your state for further information.

  24. I am being laid off my job due to it being eliminated as of 06/10/2016. I am going to receive a severance for a few weeks. Do I need to file immediately for unemployment or can I take the severance weeks off. I would like to file for unemployment when the severance is about ten weeks after the final work date.

  25. Candice L. Bencomo

    I own a salon with 4 employees. We are in a retirement community and we have had an outbreak of the Noro virus that started approximatly April 11 and as of this morning we looked like it would be clear to start on Mon. May 2. But, this afternoon one more person has become infected and it puts my employees out of work for atleast 4 more days. Are they eligible for benefits?6

  26. I currently work as a temp employee and my contract end in June. I am planning to finish out contract but my husband received a job offer in California and I will be moving there once my contract ends. Can I apply for unemployment since I am relocating and my contract will be ending?

    1. Contracted employees are generally not eligible.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state for further information.

See More Answered Questions