South Carolina Unemployment Application

You must submit your first, or initial, claim in order for DEW to start the process and determine if your circumstances meet eligibility requirements.

You can file this claim online through the MyBenefits portal, which you can access 24 hours a day anywhere there is Internet service including SC Works centers.

If you are filing a first-time claim with MyBenefits, you must create an account. All you will need to start the account is a valid email address.

The other way you can file is at a local SC Works center.

Applying will go faster if you have the following important information handy:

1. Your Social Security number

2. Your work history for the past 18 months including:

  1. Employers’ business names
  2. Employers’ addresses
  3. Employers’ phone numbers
  4. Your salary for each employer

3. If you are not a U.S. citizen, your alien registration number and documentation.

4. If you served in the military in the past 18 months, DD-214 Form (Member 4 copy).

5. If you are a federal civilian employee, SF-50 or SF-8 Form.

Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–>Calculate your benefits here

Unemployed?? ——>Check your eligibility for unemployment benefits

  1. What do you have to do to apply for Unemployment benefits. I have had to go through several run arounds and still cannot log into the portal or or talk to any human to simply ask where is the nearest office to my location. Can you help

    • Hi, there – South Carolina encourages all claimants to apply for benefits using the online portal. If you’re still having trouble with that, you may reach out to the South Carolina Department of Employer and Workforce at 1-866-831-1724 | Relay 711. It looks like they have only one office, located at 1550 Gadsden Street in Columbia, SC.

  2. I relocated back to SC on 6/24/22 from NY and I’m trying to apply for my NY benefits in SC. But I don’t know how or where to create my new account. Please help! Thanks.

    • Hi, Robert – if you’re trying to apply for New York unemployment benefits, below are some instructions for you:

      Sign in or create a ID account and follow the instructions to file a claim.

      If you have never filed a claim for benefits in New York State, you must create a PIN. This is a four-digit number that you must keep confidential. This PIN will be used to access the system to certify for weekly benefits and update your account.

      Ready? Make sure you have with you:

      Your Social Security number
      Your driver license or Motor Vehicle ID card number (if you have either one)
      Your complete mailing address and zip code
      A phone number where we can reach you from 8 am – 5 pm, Monday –Friday
      Your Alien Registration card number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen and have a card)
      Names and addresses of all your employers for the last 18 months, including those in other states
      Employer Registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN is on your W-2 forms)
      Your copies of forms SF8 and SF50, if you were a federal employee
      Your most recent separation form (DD 214), for military service
      You can file a claim without all of these documents. However, missing information can delay your first payment.

    • Willie,

      If you were laid off due to involuntary reasons, please consider applying for UI benefits for financial support.

  3. i am trying to completwe my weekly 4 job contacts. how do i download the ones i apply for at home on unemployment site?

  4. I have been out of work since March 2016 do to illness. I am on Short Term Disability which ends September 15, 2016. I am currently temporary disabled, am I eligible for Unemployment Compensation?

    • You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  5. I am getting unemployment now, but will end in December. Can I get an extension? I live in South Carolina and been putting in applications and updating them, but havent gotten any calls.

    • The E.U.C(Emergency Unemployment Compensation) remains expired. There is no extension available. Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state by calling them.

  6. I am an American citizen and have born in the US. I was employed By Safe-Ports Inc. based in South Carolina. I was working on a project for them in Afghanistan. Our contract was completed. I paid unemployment through Safe-Ports to South Carolina. I am now in the Philippines temporarily. I am actively seeing work with American companies working in Afghanistan and Iraq. Can I apply for South Carolina unemployment from here in the Philippines? I am unable to access your unemployment site from here via internet, (Access not available) when I try to get into your site. Can you please assist.
    Regards, Herman Miller

    • You should be able to claim unemployment.Some state websites do not work from outside the country.

      Try the phone service or ask a friend/family member to apply on your behalf.

  7. I would like to know if im able to receive benefits if I only worked about six to eight months…. as an expo with damons bar and grill

  8. I moved to SC in Feb 13 and returned back home July 13. I worked there but couldn’t afford to keep living there and I quit my job to move back to ny. I had 2 seasonal jobs since being home. Can I claim any unemployment benefits?

  9. I have been collecting private disability for 2 years and it’s ended. I worked for Publix Supermarkets prior to that. Am I eligible for some benefits until my SS hearing is held. I am at the hearing stage waiting for a date, but will be homeless very shortly

  10. I work in construction and my employer is now telling me I will have to work out of town 4-5 DAYS PER WEEK,to keep my job. If I decided not to go and my employer fires/lays me off, would I qualify for benefits? I have worked for the same company 14+ years and have not worked out of town prior.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *