All States » South Carolina

South Carolina Unemployment Benefit Questions

I went to work during my claim week but will not get paid for two weeks. Do I have to report earnings during the claim week and if yes, how do I report them?

YES. Earnings must be reported for any days worked during the claim week even if you have not received your pay. To figure your earnings, multiply the number of hours you worked from the day you started work until the Saturday of the claim week you are filing for by your hourly rate of pay.

If I work and earn less than my weekly benefit amount, do I have to report these earnings?

YES. All earnings must be reported regardless of the amount. However, only earnings greater than one-fourth your weekly benefit amount will be deducted from your benefit check.

How to file Interstate Benefits?

If you live outside of South Carolina and were separated from work with a South Carolina employer, you must file an out-of-state claim, commonly referred to as an Interstate claim, for unemployment benefits.

(DEW) only accepts new, additional, and reopened Interstate claims online via the MyBenefits portal.

If you need technical assistance filing your online Interstate claim, the Online Filing Assistance Line is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST. This line can be reached by dialing 1.800.529.8339.

After you file an Interstate claim, you will receive a packet in the mail that contains various forms and important information. You will also receive the name and contact information for your claim representative. You are assigned a claim representative based on the last four digits of your Social Security number.

I might start drawing a pension from a former employer. Will that make a difference in my unemployment check?

It could make a difference in your check. As soon as you apply for any pension, report to your local office for assistance.

More Questions?? —-> Read Benefit Q & A Section

Questions & Answers

  1. Sara says:

    I was working for a company for two months. I was let go because they could no longer accommodate my hours.Can I file a claim

    • Sam says:

      If you lost the job due to voluntary reasons, you will not be eligible to draw UI benefits.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for further details.

  2. Sherri says:

    Can I get unemployment if I have to quit due to caring for terminally ill parent after using all of my FMLA benefits?

    • Sam says:

      Unfortunately, personal reasons are not considered.

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  3. Kyle says:

    I managed to find a new job and ceased reporting for my weekly benefits. Unfortunately, the transition to my new job/apt. etc. has been far more expensive that I could have prepared for. I know I still had plenty in my balance if my unemployment continued. Is there any way I can attempt to get whatever leftover benefits I had in order to help me move forward without racking up insane credit card bills?

    • Martin says:

      I don’t this you can stake a claim unless you become involuntarily unemployed.

      Please call the Office for further details.

  4. Jackie says:

    I am not looking to file an unemployment claim. I just have a question.
    I just moved to SC and do not and have not received and monetary benefits of any kind, but do to my mental health the free clinic I went to said I need a No Income Verification letter. Where can I obtain that letter?

  5. Susan says:

    I work in a dental office where the doctor takes extended vacations at least 4 times a year. Can I qualify for unemployment benefits because of time lost from work without pay?

    • Martin says:

      Not sure if you can be eligible for such situations.

      Please inquire further with the Unemployment Office in your state and apply accordingly.

  6. james parker says:

    If I retired from he military, work for a different company, was laid off because of the job is complete would I rate benefits

  7. saj says:

    My spouse has taken a job in another state and I have to quit my job to move. Am I eligible while looking for a job in the new state? Thanks

    • Martin says:

      You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  8. B davis says:

    If I have worked for a doctor for 7 month and got let go cause they are cutting back. Can I receive unemployment?

    • Adrian says:

      Not sure if you qualify.

      If your employer paid the relevant taxes and if you have at least an year of employment, you can be eligible.

  9. Meagan says:

    will unemployment help pay for college while I am unemployed and receiving benefits

    • Adrian says:

      Please check with the labor dept in your state.

      Studying whilst receiving UI benefits may not be ok.

  10. John Farrington says:

    I received benefits from sept of 2012 through sept 2013 [52 weeks] not 57 weeks as noted by state law. I was under the impression that benefits were extended by the feds until dec of 2013. I was told to continue filing and do the job search but sill no checks.

  11. Sandra says:

    I moved from Ohio to South Carolina, have been active looking for work LPN, unable to gain employment. Am I eligible for unemployment?

  12. r dickard says:

    Can I put in a two week notice or quit my job because of driving distance and pay, and also trying to go back to school can I file for unemployment

  13. Virginia Woodhouse says:

    I only have 5more weeks out of the 20, am I only able to receive extended benefits because the program i because the program is ending? Thank you very much for your answer

Post Your Question

forum link

Please answer a simple Math question: *