• check eligibility
  • benefits calculator
  • apply for benefits
South Dakota-logo
State: South Dakota (SD)
Phone Number:605.626.3179 to file an Unemployment Compensation Claim (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m.(CST)).
Major Towns:Aberdeen, Brookings, Mitchell, Pierre, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, and Watertown
Current Unemploymnet Rate in South Dakota

South Dakota Unemployment Questions

Is money withheld from my wages to pay for UI benefits like for Social Security?
No, UI benefits come from a tax paid by your employer(s) on your wages. Nothing is ever withheld from your check to pay for UI benefits.

What can I do if I disagree with a decision regarding my claim?

The determination notice you disagree with will explain how and when to appeal if you disagree. Please read these decisions carefully as soon as they are received, as your appeal rights expire within 15 days. You must appeal in writing. You may mail your appeal to the following address:

SD Unemployment Insurance Appeals P.O. Box 4730 Aberdeen, SD 57402-4730

Be sure to include your Social Security number and explain the reason for your appeal.

Are unemployment insurance benefits taxable?
Yes. Unemployment insurance benefits are subject to federal income tax law. You can opt to have taxes automatically deducted from your benefits. Both you and the Internal Revenue Service will receive a year-end statement (Form 1099-G) indicating the amount of UI benefits paid to you.

Will my employer be notified if I file for benefits?
Yes. Each employer is requested to verify dates and the reason for separation.

How long will it take before I receive my first payment?
Your claim should be filed in the first week that you become totally or partially unemployed. You may contact the Call Center at 605.626.3179 or file on the Internet at The Call Center operates Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. (CST). Speech and hearing impaired applicants may call the Relay Service of South Dakota at 800.877.1113.

How do I report a change of address?

If you are changing your address within South Dakota, you may complete the claimant change of name and address form located in your blue book. Or click here for the claimant change of name and address form in Adobe .pdf format*. You may also change your address online at or by calling 605.626.3179. If you do not contact us about your address change immediately, you may lose benefits.

If you are changing your address from South Dakota to another state, or if you are changing your address back to South Dakota from another state, you may change your address online at or by calling 605.626.3179. If you do not contact us about your address change immediately, you may lose benefits.

Can benefit checks be directly deposited into a bank account?
Benefit payments will be issued to a U.S. Bank ReliaCard® Visa® debit card, which will be mailed when the unemployment insurance claim is filed. A direct deposit option is also available.

Do I need to search for work?
The unemployment insurance division will notify you when you file your claim if you are required to search for work. If your on-call status changes while you are filing your claim, this agency will notify you if you need to start searching for work. Please keep a detailed record of your work search in the back of your blue guidebook "Facts About Unemployment Insurance Benefits."

What if I worked in more than one state?
Be sure to notify your claims taker when you file by phone. If all of your base period wages were earned outside of South Dakota, you may call the Call Center at 605.626.3179 to obtain telephone numbers to that state. Most states will take your claim when you call the state directly.

Can I quit a job, or be fired from a job, and still receive unemployment insurance benefits?
If you quit your job or were fired, you may be disqualified from benefits.

Questions & Answers

6 thoughts on “South Dakota Unemployment Benefits”

  1. jamie walczak says:

    I was told South Dakota was waiting on wages from another state before I would see any benefits and for me to keep doing my weekly certifications. It has been a few weeks now and was wondering which state they are waiting on wages from so I could possibly contact that state to inquire about that.

    1. Sam says:

      Please contact the Claims Center of the Unemployment Office where you applied from.

  2. Jean Lockhart says:

    does a employer that fired me have to pay me my built up vacation pay.

    1. Sam says:

      I am not sure about this. Please contact the Labor authorities.

  3. Denise says:

    I have lived in South Dakota all my life and worked since 1973. If I quit my present job to get married and move out of state would I be eligable to get unployment.

    1. Adrian says:

      If you quit voluntarily,you may not be eligible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer a simple Math question: *

See More Answered Questions