This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

South Dakota Unemployment Benefit Questions

If I have a disagreement regarding the denial of my claim, what am I to do?

If your claim was denied, you would’ve received a mail notifying you about it. The same mail will contain instructions on how to proceed should you feel the need to appeal the decision of denial. In the state of South Dakota, appeal rights expire within 15 days of receiving the notice. This means that you have to act quickly and decide whether or not you will proceed with an appeal.

Prepare a written request for appeal in writing and mail it to the following address:

South Dakota Unemployment Insurance Appeals

P.O. Box 4730

Aberdeen, SD 57402-4730

Are UI benefits taxable?

Yes, they are taxable. You can chose to have your taxes deducted from the benefits automatically. At the end of the year, both you and the IRS will receive the form 1099-G providing the details about UI benefits paid to you.

How can I report a change of address to the DLR and Unemployment Insurance Agency?

There are three ways to report a change of address. If you moved to a different location within South Dakota, you can simply fill in the change of name and address form located in your blue book. The next option is to fill in an online form or pay a visit to the South Dakota DLR website and follow the on site instructions. The third option is to notify the agency via a telephone call. Call the agency at 605-626-3179.

It is vital that you notify an address change at the earliest as failure to do so may result in you losing the benefits.

How do I file for UI in South Dakota if I have worked in more than one state?

Just make sure that you notify the authorities about this when you file your initial claim. If all the jobs you held during your base period were based outside of South Dakota, contact the claims center at 605-635-3179 and notify them about this. You can also collect numbers of the DLR office of the state in which you worked during the base period from the claims center.

  1. Because of health issues during this corona virus my husband was told by his physician that he is very high risk and submitted a letter to his employer stating that he couldn’t work. Are there benefits available for him?

    • Yvonne,

      We understand this might be a difficult time for you. We’re anticipating a shortage of staff across unemployment offices due to the massive surge in UI applications considering the pandemic. We advise against calling or visiting the office, as you may not get a response instantly.

      Your state may have activated “Extended Benefits (EB)” authorized by the federal government. We recommend you apply for UI benefits online. For more information, please visit your state’s official Unemployment website.

    • The process should not take more than 7-10 business days.

      Please chase the Claims Center after this period if you haven’t received the card by mail.

    • If you’re claiming online, you should be able to find this information after you log-in. Otherwise, please call the Claims Center to find out the remaining weeks.

  2. What can I do if I exhausted all my appeals for SD UI and now have to pay back. I proved that SDUI violated their own rules of conduct but no one would listen. I did not take to federal court due to not having money.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *