Texas Unemployment Application
How To Apply For Unemployment Benefits In Texas
If you live in Texas and are unemployed, you can collect unemployment benefits offered by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). But collecting benefits in the state is no cakewalk. You should meet several eligibility requirements and go through an application process. If you are wondering what criteria you should meet and how to apply for unemployment benefits in Texas, you have landed on the right page. Here, we will guide through bits and pieces of Texas unemployment.
In the state of Texas, you may apply for unemployment benefits over the Internet or by calling a Tele-Center.
Things you need before filing your claim:
- SSN – your social security number
- If you served in the military, your DD-1 copy, joining and relieving dates and any other relevant information from last 18 months
- Employment history for the last 18 months. Names of employers/companies you worked for, dates of joining and relieving
- Personal Identification Number
- Alien Registration Number – if you are not a citizen of U.S.
- Number of hours you worked and the pay you received during the week for which you are filing the claim (applicable only if you earned wages during that particular week)
You may not apply over the Internet if in the past 18 months you have worked out of state.
You can call at 1-800-939-6631 to apply for unemployment claims from Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time.
Note: Internet service is generally faster than calling an unemployment benefits Tele-Center.
Unemployment Application Assistance:
- Austin local: (512) 340-4300
- Dallas local: (972) 339-6200
- El Paso local: (915) 832-6400
- Fort Worth local: (817) 420-1600
- Houston local: (281) 983-1100
- McAllen local: (956) 984-4700
- San Antonio local: (210) 258-6600
Call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. for all unemployment benefits related services.
Some of the important phone numbers that you may need are:
- Tele-Center, CSR Help Line: (M-F, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) 800-939-6631
- Tele-Serv, Automated Phone 800-558-8321
- Debit Card Help: U.S. Bank Customer Service 800-657-6343
- Appeals Fax: Appeal Tribunal 512-475-1135
- Commission Appeal 512-475-2044
Unemployed?? ——> Check your eligibility for Texas unemployment benefits
Want to know about how much you will receive?? —–> Calculate Texas UI Benefits
Unemployment Benefits In Texas
Texas Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit is the federal and state-sponsored program. The program aims to provide partial and temporary income replacement for up to 26 weeks to Texans who have lost employment through no fault.
The benefits amount lies anywhere between $69 and $521.
Let’s learn how to apply for unemployment benefits.
How To Apply For Unemployment Benefits In Texas?
You can apply for benefits immediately after your last working day. Steps involved in the application process are as follows.
Step 1: The first and foremost step in to register for UI benefits. This can be done by visiting the Texas Workforce Commission website and clicking on “Sign Up For User ID” option. Then enter information asked for in the form and click submit.
Step 2: On registering, you will receive your user ID and password. Using this information, log into your account and answer all the questions that help authorities determine if you are required to file a claim online or by calling TWC Tele-Center.
Step 3: Provide details such as your contact information, citizenship information, last employer’s name, phone number, and address, information on numbers of hours you have worked and wages, and reason for job separation.
Step4: Create a 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) that has the same legal authority as that of your signature. Using PIN information you can easily access TWC Tele-Serv and some internet services offered by TWC.
Step 5: Choose a payment option, either a debit card or a direct deposit. For new users, the default payment option is a debit card. But you can change it by clicking “NO” on the Payment Option Page and visiting “Change Payment Option Screen.”
Step 6: Last, review your application. If you have not entered any details or have entered incorrect information, select the “Edit Information” link at the bottom of each section and make changes. Once done, submit the application.
If you have worked only in Texas, follow the above procedure. However, if you have worked in more than one state, you can file a claim in any state where you have your base period wages. The paying state will process your application as per its UI laws and ask other states to provide information about your wage records. It will then combine all your wages and determine if you earned sufficient wages to be eligible for UI benefits under that state’s rules.
- Suppose you have worked for a temporary agency, you must contact them and ask for a new assignment within three business days following the end of your previous assignment before applying for benefits.
- If you have last worked for a staff leasing company, you must immediately contact the company for a new job before applying for benefits.
Keep in mind that you will not receive your payment immediately after applying for it. You have to meet several eligibility requirements to qualify for benefits.
Applying for Texas unemployment benefits can look like a lengthy and challenging process, but it is worth it if you qualify for benefits, as this will help you meet your basic needs until you return to work. If you want more information about Texas UI benefits or have any query, contact a TWC unemployment office.