What is Career Coaching?
Published February 03, 2022
Most working professionals experience some sort of dissatisfaction or the other in their work. It could be due to a period of stagnation where you aren't sure of how to plan the next phase of your career or your goals not aligning with your current job. The point is that these feelings of apprehension regarding your profession are more common than you think. It has also led to career coaching becoming more mainstream.
Career coaching is getting the help, support, and guidance you need to assess and address your job-related concerns. Enlisting the services of a career coach can help you reach your career goals.
What does a Career Coach Do?
A career coach guides you through a range of career-related queries and objectives. While some look to career coaches when they feel stuck at a job that doesn't offer any purpose, others seek advice to rise up the corporate ladder faster. Career coaches help with these aspects and more. They help you identify the root causes of your problem and work on resolving them. With your help, they design a plan of action delineating actionable tasks for your professional journey.
Career Coaching vs. Career Counseling
Career coaching is similar to career counseling in a lot of ways but vary from each other in what they can offer you. Where a career counselor takes a practical and directed approach to enhance your professional growth, a career coach factors in your interests, values, skills, and strengths to guide your career trajectory.
A career counselor can arm you with industry information and statistics and help you build the relevant skills to land the job you want. They can also help you polish your resume, come up with a convincing cover letter, and interview tips. And while a career coach does the same, they also do more. They can help you figure out what is missing in your career, select a path that aligns with your goals and preferences, and provide you with a sense of purpose and direction.
How to Find a Career Coach
Finding the right career coach for you will entail a lot of research and thought. To get you started, we have listed a few factors that you should keep in mind when searching for one -
- You can start searching for a career coach by asking friends, colleagues, or acquaintances for references. It will be prudent to opt for career coaches that come with credentials.
- Most career coaches work with professionals of specific industries. If you have decided on the domain or the kind of career you want to take up, then hiring a career coach with experience in your preferred field can help.
- An important factor you need to consider is the amount you’d be willing to spend on a career coach. Research and compare the fee structures of different career coaches. Some ask for a one-time fee, while others may prefer a monthly subscription fee, so be sure to understand the payment models and choose one that fits your needs.
- Career coaches take varied approaches while working with their clients. You can check reviews of their clients, read any of their published work, and understand their personality or the approach they use to assess if their profile matches your needs.
- After you find a suitable coach, sit together and delineate what you expect of them. It is important for you and your coach to agree on the established goals, so engage and consider their input as well. Finally, create a list to track your progress and achievements.
Best Career Coaching Services
1. The Muse
The Muse gives you the choice to select a career coach of your preference. The coaches come in three levels: Mentor (least experience), Coach (middle-tier), and Master Coach (most experience).
2. Find My Profession
Find My Profession is one of the leading career coaching services focused on providing job search strategies that convert into offers.
3. Linkedin ProFinder
Linkedin ProFinder allows you to search through thousands of local career coaches and contact the ones you find interesting.
4. A Path that Fits
Their career and life coaches are seasoned experts with 10 years of experience. You get to choose your coach.
5. Coaching 4 Good
Coaching 4 Good, formerly known as Wolfgang Career Coaching, offers LinkedIn profile writing, executive and leadership coaching, job search, career transition career counseling, and more.
In what ways can a Career Coach help?
Career coaches offer varied services that aid your career plan. In general, you can expect a career coach to help you with:
- Assessing your career interests, skills, and values.
- Identifying any obstacles and suggesting ways to overcome them.
- Analyzing your career options and planning the next steps.
- Assisting you in identifying relevant job opportunities.
- Developing customized resumes and cover letters.
- Integrating and establishing a balance between your professional and personal life.
- Looking out for your mental and emotional well-being and suggesting professional help if required.
Will Career Coaching be of Benefit to You?
If you're not happy with your career path, feel stuck, and don't see any progress in the future, a career coach can absolutely benefit you. Seeking help about something that's bothering you always helps. If the said person is a professional who has guided many through similar situations, they will surely present you with workable solutions and options. However, we recommend that you verify the integrity of the career coach before you enlist their help.
What kind of services do career coaches offer?
A career coach will help you with career guidance, interview tips, salary negotiation advice, refining your resume, and offering counsel on your future career prospects or job change.
How much does it cost to hire a career coach?
Career coaches may charge anywhere between $75 to $150 per hour. The popular and experienced ones may quote higher prices ranging from $250 to $500 or higher.
Is it worth hiring a career coach?
Many have lost their jobs due to the pandemic. If you are in between jobs at the moment, hiring a career coach can help you prepare for an in-demand job or even make a career shift.
They will help you with forming suitable career strategies, improving your confidence, tailoring your resume to match the necessary requirements for your growth, and much more.