Staffing Agencies:What They Do?
Published February 03, 2022
Finding an appropriate opportunity remains challenging for many job seekers. Here, staffing agencies act as a middle man between workers and employers, and help to match qualified candidates for companies having current job openings. If you are considering signing with one, this is what you need to know about the process, read on!
What Is a Staffing Agency?
A staffing agency, also known as a staffing firm, or service agency, hires potential candidates for its partner companies. People looking for job opportunities can register with these agencies and connect with multiple hiring managers. Staffing agencies help you save time and money and find opportunities that you may not find on your own.
As per studies, the staffing and recruiting agencies contribute to the U.S. economy by providing career opportunities to over 16 million people every year. Additionally, six in ten staffing agencies work full time to fill in the gap of unemployment and help people find a job. Keep reading this article to learn about staffing agencies, its various types, top-rated agencies, and much more!
What are the best Staffing Agencies?
With so many options available in the industry, we have listed some top-rated staffing agencies to get you started. These agencies are widely renowned and have many candidates listed with them. Here are the top staffing agencies of different niches:
- A general staffing agency serving across 38 countries
- Conducts behavioral interviews with detailed skills examinations for appropriate placements
- Adecco is a general staffing agency and operates in 60 countries.
- They are members of several councils and business networks
3. Kelly Services
- They are pioneers of the new age temporary staffing agencies
- They help a large volume of temporary workers every year
- A temporary staffing agency
- Provides free applied training, apprenticeships, and tools to temporary employees
5. FlexCare Medical Staffing
- Medical staffing agency specialized in travel assignments for therapists, nurses, and allied healthcare professionals
- They have contracts with renowned hospitals and operate in all states
6. LiquidAgents Healthcare
- They are a medical staffing agency
- Provide staff for permanent placement and travel assignments
- IT and finance staffing agency operating in NorthAmerica, Europe, and Asia
- Recruits around 80,000 IT professionals every year to help over 6000 clients
- Available in 20 countries
- Offers recruitment to IT, and life sciences
What is the difference between staffing and recruiting agencies?
A staffing agency and recruiting agency may sound similar, but these have different roles.
- A staffing agency recruits employees for temporary, permanent, and contract positions.
- They find suitable candidates for specific shifts, such as nurses or teachers, with These placements lasting from a couple of weeks to a year.
- Employers highly value staffing agencies. They offer a large pool of candidates who have already been vetted and can work even at short notice.
- A recruitment agency, also known as an employment agency, tends to focus on permanent positions.
- Employers provide a detailed brief to the recruitment agency to find the ideal candidates who can meet the ambitions and long-term aims of the organization.
- The recruiting agencies use their professional insight to find suitable candidates by advertising the job role in specific areas or job boards.
What are the different types of staffing agencies?
In this highly competitive job market, various agencies are available to help you find your next position.
The traditional employment agencies assist the job seekers in finding work and help companies hire staff for them. A traditional employment agency is specialized in a particular industry, such as accounting, sales, marketing, legal, IT, or human resources management.
Even though it is highly unusual, you may find some of these agencies charging job seekers for their services. We recommend you clarify the fee involved before signing the contract with them.
Temporary agencies find employees to fill temporary positions. For instance, temps are hired to work during seasonal shifts in business, harvest seasons, tax season, or to cover illness or vacations. These agencies also help hire professionals for short-term assignments.
A contingency agency recruits job seekers for their partner companies and gets paid when the candidate is hired. These firms are mainly used for low and mid-level searches. While applying through these agencies, you are likely to compete with candidates who found the same job opening from various other sources.
What are the things to consider while evaluating Staffing Agencies?
Before selecting a staffing agency, consider the below-mentioned pointers:
- Look out for the services they offer, and make a decision only when you feel that it meets your requirements.
- The recruitment process, as they are the first point of contact between you and the prospective company.
- The services which set them apart from other agencies.
- Their reputation in the market. Be sure to inquire about this, as it could protect you from the adverse effects of bad employers.
- Opt agencies that offer 24/7 support as it could help you out with last minute cancellations.
What are the pros and cons of the Staffing Agencies?
- You will save resources and time.
- You will get access to a larger pool of employers.
- A specialist staffing agency will have insider market knowledge.
- You will get to learn a lot.
- You may need to pay the agency.
- You must be more careful while deciding on a staffing agency, as quite a few fraudulent agencies exist in the market.
- You may be asked to revise your resume every month.
- Some agencies provide restricted guidelines.
Staffing agencies can act as an effective tool in your job search. They provide recruitment opportunities for every age group, be it unemployed youth or middle-aged people. If you are looking for employment, make sure to use a balanced set of job search strategies.
However, before investing your time in staffing agencies, it is vital to understand them thoroughly. We recommend you avoid the pitfalls and confirm the fee involved beforehand with them.
Is a Staffing Agency legit?
Yes, the staffing agencies are legit. However, you may also find fake ones that look out to exploit job seekers’ information. We recommend conducting thorough research before handing your personal information to any agency.
How much do these agencies make through their employees?
A staffing agency first decides how much they are willing to pay the employees. After that, they add a markup ranging between 25% to 100%, which they earn.
Do I need to pay the staffing agency?
Yes, staffing agencies charge a fee for the provided services, and these costs typically apply to companies, not job seekers. However, before signing the contract with them, you must confirm the same.
Is a temporary employee eligible for benefits?
A temporary employee is not eligible for healthcare and life insurance benefits. Once they become full-time employees, they can avail such benefits.
For how long can a temporary employee be hired?
As per the U.S. Department of Labor, a temporary employee can be hired for a limited time, usually six months. If this period needs to be extended, the employer should hire full-time or part-time workers.