This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Utah Unemployment Eligibility

In general, unemployment insurance benefits are paid to eligible workers who meet the following requirements.

Non Monetary Eligibility

  • Unemployed through no fault of your own
  • Are able and available to work full-time
  • Are actively seeking full-time work
  • Have registered for job placement assistance with the Department of Workforce Services and also at the Employment Center closest to you.
  • Have quit or get fired for “a good cause”

Monetary Eligibility

Following are the criteria you must meet to qualify monetarily for the Utah UC

  • A claimant must have earned at least $3,700 during the base period. Also, a claimant’s wages must be at least 1 ½ times the highest quarter of wages during the base period
  • If a claimant does not have 1 ½ times the high quarter wages in the base period, he/she may still qualify by using Alternate Base Period, which is the most recently completed 4 calendar quarters

Normally, you will receive a “Notice of Monetary Determination” within three weeks from the date you file your claim for unemployment benefits. This notice includes the wages reported by your base period employer(s), your weekly benefit amount and number of weeks of unemployment benefits you may receive if you meet all eligibility requirements.

Eligibility Questions

Can I collect unemployment if I get fired in Utah?

Regardless of how you left your job, you can always file for unemployment benefits. Whether you’ll get those benefits is another story. Unemployment benefits are designed to help those who lost their jobs through reasons beyond their own control. Generally, fired employees can only get unemployment benefits if they can prove your termination was wrongful or against labor laws. In many cases, you’ll have to prove your case during a claims investigation or appeals process.

Can I draw unemployment if I am laid off?

To collect unemployment benefits, it can’t be your fault that you’re out of work. If you were laid off because the company wanted to save money or eliminate positions, you should be eligible for benefits.

When you get laid-off, it is not your fault. Getting laid-off doesn’t mean that you were fired or you did something wrong. It simply means that the company in which you worked doesn’t have enough work and could no longer afford to pay you for the job.

Once you get laid-off from your job, you should immediately apply for unemployment benefits.

What happens to my unemployment if I quit voluntarily?

A separation is considered voluntary if the claimant was the moving party in ending the employment relationship.  A voluntary separation includes leaving existing work, or failing to return to work after:

a)     an employer attached layoff which meets the requirements for a deferral

b)     a suspension, or

c)      a period of absence initiated by the claimant.

Failing to renew an employment contract may also constitute a voluntary separation.

Two standards must be applied in voluntary separation cases: good cause and equity and good conscience.  If good cause is not established, the claimant’s eligibility must be considered under the equity and good conscience standard.

Some of the examples of reasons for quitting are:

  1. Reduction of Hours
  2. Leaving to Attend School
  3. Religious Beliefs
  4. Health or Physical Condition
  5. Discrimination

For more information click here.

Can a claimant attend school or training while on UC?

In general, attending school or training is a direct conflict to one of the primary eligibility rules for UC. As per the rules, a claimant must be available and ready for full time work. This gets negated if you start attending school or training. Evening class are an exception to this.

However, if the department decides that the schedules for your school or training sessions do not interfere with your availability or readiness for work, you may be allowed to attend school. In some cases, the department will itself recommend that you attend training to enhance your skills. In such cases, claimants can attend training or school.

If I move to another state, will it affect my eligibility to continue collecting unemployment insurance in Utah?

You can continue to file against Utah, as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

  1. You must change your address/phone number immediately by logging in at and selecting “This is you and the above information is NOT correct”. Or you can contact the Unemployment Insurance Claims Center. Payments may be delayed if you do not report your current address.
  2. You must register for work in that state within three business days so that state may assist you in your work search.
  3. You will still be required to keep an accurate record of all employer contacts and the information can be requested at any time.
  4. You are required to notify the Claims Center if you travel or move to a location outside the United States.

More Questions?? Read Eligibility Q & A Section

Want to know about how much you will receive?? Calculate your benefits here

  1. i go to school and my position is being eliminated in which they have no other place for me to go. i can work full time night and afternoon shift can i get unemployement

  2. I work for a school district 18 hrs a week from the first week of September to the first week of June. Do I qualify for unemployment during the summer months?

    • Seasonal jobs do not qualify as they are designed that way.

      Please inquire further with the labor authorities in your state.

  3. If my employer moves to another town which makes my drive to get there over 45 miles and will make my travel time 3 1/2 hours (double what it is now) each day and I quit due to this, am I able to collect unemployment?

    • Personal reasons are not considered.

      Unemployment insurance is only available for those are lose their job due to involuntary reasons such as lay off.

  4. my employer is threatening to cut my salary substantially. He is trying to get me to quit so that he will not have to pay me unemployment mbenefits. If I do quit, will I be able to collect unemployment benefits?

  5. I am separating from the military in California where i have been for 5 years and moving to Utah upon separation. How can i file for unemployment in Utah?

  6. if I leave work for heart problem will
    I be turn down for unemployment
    asked owner for part time or lite duty he said
    no he didn’t trust the other employee
    to show up when he needed them
    I put in for ssdi haven’t heard back
    from them

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.