This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Max. Weekly Benefit Amount
Max. Weeks of Benefits
Current Jobless Rate
Max Weekly Benefit Amount
Max Weeks of benefits
Current Jobless rate

Updated : November 4th, 2022

Vermont Unemployment Benefits

The Vermont Unemployment Insurance (UI) program provides temporary replacement of lost wages to those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. The program is handled by the Vermont Department Of Labor and is funded by employers in the form of UI taxes. Read through the page to know more about the Unemployment Insurance in Vermont.

Eligibility To Apply For UI Benefits In Vermont

An applicant must meet monetary and job separation eligibility requirements to qualify for unemployment benefits in Vermont.

Monetary Eligibility

To be monetarily eligible for Vermont unemployment benefits, an applicant must:

  • Have earned minimum wages as determined by Vermont guidelines in his or her highest quarter of the base period, and the remaining quarters must equal or exceed 40% of the highest quarter of the base period
  • Have worked for the last 12 months in Vermont

Vermont law provides four methods to determine a base period:
Method I – First four of the last five completed calendar quarters preceding an unemployment claim’s effective date.
Method II – Last four completed calendar quarters preceding the effective date of an unemployment claim.
Method III – Last three completed calendar quarters and the current quarter, using wages paid up to the effective date of an unemployment claim.
Method IV – This approach is used only if the applicant has opened a new claim for unemployment benefits within six months of the date of the end of the temporary Workers’ Compensation payments. In this method, the base period is adjusted such that the wages that would have been available to the applicant at the time of injury are available when filed for the UI program.

Job Separation

An applicant must not have lost his or her job due to any of the following reasons:

  • Was fired or quit his job due to a lack of interest in workplace
  • Was fired due to misconduct at the workplace
  • Was fired due to criminal charges
  • Was fired as he or she failed in alcohol and drug test
  • Quit the job due to reasons that are not considered as good-cause
  • Was fired as he or she was caught damaging property at the workplace
  • Was fired as he or she did not adhere to the organization policies

Eligibility requirements – overview

Maintaining Eligibility

After meeting the job separation and monetary requirements, the applicant must maintain the eligibility to receive unemployment benefits without any difficulty. The eligibility can be maintained in the following ways:

  • The applicant must be able to and available for work
  • The applicant must actively look for a job
  • The applicant must accept a suitable job offer
  • The applicant must document all the work search activities

Find out on job search requirements

How To Apply For UI Benefits In Vermont?

An applicant must submit the following documents to receive Vermont unemployment benefits:

An applicant can file for unemployment benefits in Vermont using two methods: online or by telephone.


This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to apply for unemployment benefits. To apply online, visit


The applicant can also apply by calling
or 1-888-807-7072 Monday through Friday between 8:15 a.m. and 6 p.m. or Saturday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

How To File Weekly Claims?

The applicant must file weekly claims for each week he or she wishes to receive benefits. The weekly claim can be filed online or by telephone.

  • If the initial claim was filed between Monday to Thursday, the applicant must file his or her first weekly unemployment claim the following Sunday or any day after that, up to Friday at 4 p.m.
  • If the initial claim was filed Friday or Saturday, the applicant must file his or her first weekly unemployment claim the following Tuesday or any day after that, up to Friday at 4 p.m.
  • If the initial claim was filed on Sunday, the applicant must file his or her first weekly unemployment claim the next Sunday or any day after that, up to Friday at 4 p.m.

Learn how to claim weekly benefits

UI Benefits Amount

The weekly benefits amount in Vermont is based on the applicant’s gross wages. The weekly benefits amount is calculated by adding the two highest quarters’ wages in the base period and dividing by 45. The resulting amount is rounded to the next whole dollar.

Benefits Calculator

Use the benefits calculator to determine the estimated weekly unemployment benefit amount.

Unemployment Benefits Calculator
Select Number of Dependents:
Unemployment Benefits Calculator
State: Vermont
Number of Dependents: 0

How much did you earn in each of these quarters?

$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
Calculating your Benefits Amount ...
Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website. This calculator is here to assist you in evaluating what you might obtain if you are entitled to receive benefits. We make no promises that the sum you receive will be equal to what the calculator illustrates.

Know more about the Benefits Calculator

Things To Know After Filing An Application

There are a few aspects a claimant must know applying for Vermont unemployment benefits.


Applicants may receive unemployment overpayments due to reversal of previous awards, administrative errors, or wilful misinterpretation. The overpaid amount must be paid back to the Vermont Department Of Labor, failing to which DOL will deduct the amount from future benefits, withhold lottery winnings or federal income tax returns and recover the amount.

Overpayment Through Fraud

If a claimant receives overpayments due to wilful misinterpretation or false statement, he or she will be required to pay the penalty and will be disqualified from receiving benefits for a few weeks. In some situations, the Department may also file a criminal case against the claimant.

Benefits Extension

Normally, claimants can collect benefits for up to 26 weeks. The state provides extended benefits when the unemployment rate is too high. Visit DOL to know more about the extended benefits.

Job Training Assistance

The Vermont Department of Labor operates the Workforce Development Division (commonly known as Career Resource Centers (CRC)). This job center helps job seekers to find a suitable job and advance in their careers. Some of the programs by the Workforce Development Division include:
Individual Career Advancement Network (ICAN)– This program offers the following services:

  • Conduct job searches
  • Enhance your job finding skills
  • Gain new job skills & work experience
  • Connect to employers who are hiring
  • Overcome barriers keeping you from work
  • Learn how to achieve industry certifications

Vermont Youth Employment– This program offers training and helps with the job search to those aged 16 to 24.
New Virtual Workshops And Events – Job seekers can join theweekly virtual events, including #Hiring2DayVT Virtual Job Fairs, workshops, and other events.

Know more job training opportunities in VT

Vermont Phone Numbers

Find the below-listed phone numbers of unemployment offices in Vermont:

Vermont Unemployment Office Numbers

Claimant Assistance1-877-214-3332
TTY/TDD Service 1-800-650-4152
Unemployment fraud Hotline(802) 828-4104
File unemployment claim by telephone1-877-214-3330 or 1-888-807-7072
Claim Appeals(802) 828-4289
Unemployment questions or claim information(802) 828-4157

Locate your nearest unemployment office

Frequently Asked Question

Q. Should I reapply for benefits if I lost my job again?
You need not reapply for benefits if you have had an open claim within the last 12 months. You can simply reopen your claim by visiting the online claimant portal or by calling the weekly claims line at 1-800-983-2300.
Q. What can I do if my claim expires?
You may be eligible for extended benefits if your claim expires. Note that the state does not provide extended benefits under normal conditions but only when the unemployment rate is too high.
Q. Will I receive benefits if I forget to file weekly claims?
You can call the automated weekly filing line at 1-800-983-2300 if you forgot to submit a weekly claim for a past week and file a claim for a back week. Note that you can file only one back week per day. You will receive a confirmation page notifying you of when you can log back into your account and file another missed filing

Questions & Answers

  1. I am a representative of WIOA in NH. I am in the
    Berlin office today. I am trying to assist an individual with pulling up his weekly benefits and what he has been paid out within this benefit year. He is on the phone trying to get in touch with a VT Employment Security worker but has been on hold for quite some time. Can somebody call me at 603-752-6720.
    Thank you

    • Patricia,

      Please note this is a private forum and we do not offer assistance over the phone. It will be very difficult for us to trace the claimant. Hope you were able to get in touch with him/her.

    • If this is your first claim, please wait for 7-10 business days for the first payment.

      If there is a delay, please call the Claims Center for an update.

  2. If I worked at one job for the first half of the year, and a different job for the second half, do I enter earnings from both jobs for the base periods?

  3. I am filing weekly for my 72 year old mother, who just became unemployed @a month ago. I have given all of her information, and we apply online or get applications from varying businesses each week. I am just wondering if a deposit in her account is made weekly or monthly. she is very worried that without a job or an income coming in, that she will lose her home. I told her that I am filing weekly for her. thanks!!

    • Please check with the Unemployment Office in your state by calling them for precise information. Payments are disbursed on a weekly basis after your make a claim.

  4. My hours have been cut majorly for the past month. Can I get partical unemployment/ If so how do i sing up for it?

    Thank you

  5. If you had a continuous period of sickness or injury resulting in a temporary total compensation under the Workers’ Safety & Compensation law, you may be able to claim unemployment benefits based on earnings prior to your injury date.

  6. I was injured away from work on may 20, the leg injury has left me immobile for the rest of june and into july. I did have employment when the injury happened, i’m still employed but dont have a definate go back to work date yet, doc’s not said when i can go back. What kind’s of benifits am I eligable for in VT? I was on umemployment last november-december for a few weeks while searching for a job. Thank you for your time and considerations. Jakub

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *