This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Vermont Unemployment Calculator

Calculate your projected benefit by filling quarterly wages earned below:

We created this calculator to aid you evaluate what you might obtain if you are entitled. We make no promises that the sum you receive will be equal to what the calculator illustrates.

Unemployment Benefits Calculator
Select Number of Dependents:
0 12 3 4 5
Unemployment Benefits Calculator
State: Vermont
Number of Dependents: 0

How much did you earn in each of these quarters?

$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
$ 0
$ 25,000
Calculating your Benefits Amount ...
Disclaimer: The estimates are good in faith and accuracy is not guaranteed. We are not liable for any loss and damages caused by using the tools on our website. This calculator is here to assist you in evaluating what you might obtain if you are entitled to receive benefits. We make no promises that the sum you receive will be equal to what the calculator illustrates.

To apply for Vermont unemployment benefits click here

The most recent figures for Vermont show an unemployment rate of 2.6%.

Non-Monetary Eligibility Requirements

You can collect benefits if you meet a series of legal eligibility requirements:

  • Have earned qualifying wages
  • Are unemployed through no fault of their own
  • Are able and obtainable to work full-time and
  • Are keenly looking for full-time work

In addition to having adequate earnings, you must meet other eligibility benefits to be entitled for UI benefits. Some instances of issues that may influence eligibility for UI benefits comprise:

  • Reason for job separation
  • Proper weekly claim filing
  • School attendance
  • Self employment or corporate offices
  • Strike or labor disputes
  • Denial of a job offer
  • Alien status
  • School employee
  • Illness or injury
  • Professional athlete

More details on UI eligibility can be found in the unemployment eligibility article.

Monetary Eligibility Requirements

For more information on unemployment eligibility, visit article.

How long will I receive benefits:

Usually, most states permit an individual to obtain unemployment for a maximum of 26 weeks, or half the benefit the benefit year. A few states have standardized benefit duration, while most have different durations depending upon the worker. In a state with varied duration, it is probable that the benefit year may include less than 26 payable weeks.

The calculation is normally which us smaller: 26xWBA or 1/3 BPW. WBA is the Weekly Benefit Amount, so 26xWBA would be the regular week program. 1/3 BPW refers to the Base Period Wages, so if a person did not succeed to earn more than 3 times the standard benefit amount, they will be suitable for fewer weeks of coverage.

How much weekly benefit will I receive:

You can guess your Potential Benefits Online. Your weekly benefit amount and the number of weeks of entitlement to benefits are based on the wages you were paid and amount of time you worked during your base period. The weekly benefit amount is calculated by dividing the sum of the wages earned during the highest quarter of the base period by 26, rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. The result cannot exceed the utmost weekly benefit permitted by rule.

The base period is the term used to describe the time frame used as the basis for deciding whether or not you will be monetarily eligible for unemployment.

How are Benefits Calculated:

Once you make out how the unemployment are calculated, you will have a fair idea of how much you could receive per week or per benefit period if you were to lose your job. This is significant when you think taking unemployment or searching another job.

Unemployment is computed and one half of what your weekly pay was at the time of the discharge up to your state's maximum benefit. You will have to verify with your state's unemployment office to see what the highest payout for your state is. For further details refer unemployment benefits article.

Recently Asked Questions:

When and how do I become liable to pay unemployment insurance?
Liability varies depending on the type of business and wage payments. We have an on-line application to assist you with this process and registration.

How do I open an account for unemployment insurance and how is the new account rate determined?
You can open an account on-line or by downloading and returning Form C-1, Status Report. New employer rates are assigned by industry classification and full successor rates are based on the previous employer’s experience history of benefits charged against their account versus taxable payroll.

What do I have to do if I sell or close my business?
You must notify us of ANY changes in your business structure. This can be done by completion of C-36 form. Additionally, if a potential buyer of your business requests such, you must provide them with your experience rating.

How am I determined a successor and if I am, will I be eligible for a transfer of the predecessor’s rate?
If you acquire substantially all the assets of an existing liable business and continue that business, you may be determined a full successor and eligible for a transfer of the predecessor’s rate. A partial acquisition of an existing liable business, which you continue, is not eligible for a transfer and would be rated as a new employer.

How is my experience rate computed?
Experience rates are computed annually and are effective July 1st through June 30th. They are calculated by using the employer’s three most recently completed calendar years history (taxable wages divided by benefits charged against their account)

Are employee or employer contributions to cafeteria plans and 401K plans considered covered wages?
The employer contributions are non taxable. The employee contributions are taxable.

Are officer earnings, wages paid to spouses, etc., considered covered wages?
Officers of corporations are employees of the corporation. You must report all gross wages paid to officers of the corporation. There are some situations where employment is exempt from coverage.

My employees work in more than one state. Where do I report and pay my unemployment insurance?
Generally wages are reported to the state in which the services are performed UNLESS the employee works in more than one state. Further information on localization is provided.

Why should I have to pay unemployment taxes if I’m the corporate officer?
As an employee of the Corporation, you may be eligible for Unemployment Compensation benefits providing you meet all of the eligibility requirements.

How do I figure excess wages and taxable wages on my Employer’s Quarterly Wage and Contribution Report?
Excess wages are the wages paid to each employee above and beyond the taxable wage base. Further information is provided under Filing UI Tax Reports and C-101 and instructions.

Do I have to report a worker on my Contribution report if the total amount paid is under $600.00, if I paid cash and/or was just “trying them out”?
An employer must report all amounts paid to a worker if the work performed is covered under the Unemployment Compensation laws, regardless of the amount. Further information regarding proper reporting and covered employment is provided in the Employer’s Manual.

Why can’t the Vermont Department of Labor obtain wage amounts from the Vermont Tax Department?
Mainly it’s because different liability and covered employment test exist. That said, both department share information to insure compliance.

What generally determines which employer accounts will be audited?
Being selected for an audit should not be construed that the employer has done something wrong. Each quarter several accounts are selected through a random audit program to meet federally mandated requirements. Additionally, if the department has reason to suspect an employer is not properly reporting it’s workers, an audit will be conducted to insure compliance of the Unemployment Compensation laws.

How much do I have to pay in UI taxes?
For employers just starting a business, calculating the tax amount can be difficult, as various factors can alter the rate. To avoid improper calculation, you are encouraged to contact the field auditor in your area or our Employer Services Unit.