Virginia Unemployment Application
Claimants wishing to file for Unemployment Insurance in Virginia can do so at the local offices of VEC – the Virginia Employment Commission. Applications can be file via the Internet or the telephone. However, it is unsure if telephone claims can be made from all areas in Virginia.
To complete your application, you must provide:
- Your Social Security Number
- Accurate employer information including supervisor’s name, employer’s address, phone number and dates of employment within the last 18 months
- The name and local number of your local union hall, if you obtain work through a union.
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a US citizen
- If you have any Non-Virginia employers you must have an accurate mailing address, phone number, and dates of employment for them
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit, you will need to have your Routing Number (First 9 digits located at the bottom of your checks) and your Account Number (5-17 digits, its exact location and number of digits varies from bank to bank)
If you do not have this information available, collect it before you begin to file your claim. The site is available seven days a week. The filing process takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Allow enough time to complete this process.
Claim your benefits online as it is fast and easy. To file a new claim by telephone, call toll free 1-866-832-2363.