This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency.

Max. Weekly Benefit Amount
Max. Weeks of Benefits
Current Jobless Rate
Max Weekly Benefit Amount
Max Weeks of benefits
Current Jobless rate

Updated : March 24th, 2023

Wyoming Unemployment Benefits

Wyoming Unemployment Benefits

The Wyoming Unemployment Insurance Program is for Wyoming workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own. Continue reading to find out more on the Wyoming Unemployment Insurance policy, and all the information that you will need to know while you apply for benefits.

Wyoming UI Benefits Calculator

The Wyoming unemployment calculator will help you figure out how much money you could qualify for if you are an unemployed Wyoming resident.

UI Benefits Calculator
Calculate Your Wyoming Unemployment Benefits

Try the Wyoming unemployment calculator to estimate your UI benefit payments.

Wyoming Unemployment Calculator


Eligibility To Apply for UI Benefits in Wyoming

Wyoming has rules to figure out who can get money from unemployment. To be eligible, a claimant needs to meet three requirements:

  1. You need to have made enough money during a certain time period (called the “base period”).
  2. You need to have lost your job through no fault of your own.
  3. You have to keep showing that you’re ready and looking for work every week you ask for payment.

Monetary Eligibility

When you first apply for unemployment, you’ll receive a form called “Results of the Unemployment Claim You Filed.” This form will show how much money you made in the past and how much you might receive in benefits. Read it carefully to make sure it’s correct, and tell the Department of Workforce Services Unemployment Insurance Division if there are any errors.

To calculate your Wyoming UI benefits, the agency will look at how much you earned in the past. This is called your base period. The base period is the first four of the past five quarters before you apply for benefits. You have to have earned enough money during that time period to qualify for benefits.

Find out more about eligibility requirements

Maintaining Eligibility

In order to keep getting Wyoming unemployment benefits, you must file a weekly claim to certify that you are able to work, willing to work, and actively looking for a job. This means you have to contact two or more employers each week and be able to start work right away if offered a job.

The Wyoming Department of Workforce Services requires you to:

  • Report all information truthfully and accurately
  • File for compensation every week you’re eligible
  • Look for work and write down your work search activities in a work search log
  • Be mentally and physically able to work
  • Be willing and able to accept job offers
  • Be available to start work right away if you are offered a job
  • Report any money you earned throughout the week, including tips
  • Fill out and return any papers you get for an audit, even if you have gone back to work or stopped asking for benefits.

Failure to respond to an audit may affect your chances of qualifying for benefits in the future.

Learn more about job search requirements

How to Apply for Unemployment Benefits in Wyoming

There are two ways to apply for unemployment: online or by phone.


To file online, go to and log in with your WYUI username and password. Protect this information at all costs, otherwise, you could be subject to fraud if someone uses your login information to file for benefits.

If you do not have a WYUI account, you can easily register for one. You will need the following information:

  • Social Security Number
  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Requested PIN

By phone

To file by phone, call the Wyoming Claims Center at (307) 473-3789. English and Spanish options are available using the Interactive Voice Response system. You will need to use your four-digit PIN to file. Do not give this PIN out to anybody. Make sure you answer all questions truthfully and file your claim on time, even if your claim is not eligible or you’re going through the appeals process.

How to create a PIN

If you do not have a PIN, you can create your own online or the agency will create one for you. You will need this PIN to file claims online or by phone and to access funds on your prepaid debit card. Keep these PINs safe and remember them, because you will need them in the future.

How to file weekly claims

How to File Weekly Continued Claims

To get your weekly unemployment benefits, you need to file a continued claim. Wait until the week is over and file it within 14 days of the end of the week.

You can file your claim online at or by phone using the 24-hour automated system.

To file online, go to and click on “Continued Claim” and then “File Continued Claim.” Then, answer all the questions truthfully.

To file weekly by phone, call (307) 473-3789 or (866) 729-7799. Listen to the automated message, then enter your unemployment PIN number. Wait for instructions from the automated system to input your weekly claim information.

Learn how to file a weekly claim


Things to Know After Filing an Application

Filing a claim for UI benefits is only the first step. After that, it’s important to remember what you need to do to keep getting the benefits. If you don’t follow the rules, your benefits could be terminated. Here are some things you need to keep in mind:

Unemployment Fraud

The Wyoming Department of Workforce Services takes unemployment benefit misconduct seriously. If you try to get benefits by committing unemployment fraud, you could lose your benefits, pay a fine, or even go to jail.


If you receive too much money for unemployment benefits, you will have to pay it back. This comes with a five percent fee added every six months until you pay it back in full. If you don’t pay it back, you won’t be able to qualify for unemployment benefits for 52 weeks. You may even face criminal charges, and if you’re convicted, you’ll be unable to get unemployment benefits for two years. If they find out you received the money through fraudulent means, you’ll have to pay an extra 15% charge when you repay the money.

Extended Benefit Programs

The Wyoming government only gives extended benefits in extenuating economic circumstances, such as during periods with a high unemployment rate. Currently, there are no unemployment extensions. There is a maximum of 26 weeks of benefits per year.

Job Training Assistance

Wyoming has programs to help workers receive job training. These programs are for different groups of people, like veterans and older citizens. Some popular programs in Wyoming include…

  • Business Occupational Outlook Tool Set (BOOTS)
  • Dads Making a Difference
  • Eligible Training Provider List
  • Federal Bonding Programs
  • Migrant & Seasonal Farm Worker Program
  • POWER Program
  • Veterans Program
  • and more

Learn more about job training opportunities in WY

Wyoming Unemployment Office Locations and Phone Numbers

If you require assistance with filing your unemployment insurance claim, you can call the Wyoming Unemployment Insurance Claim Center.

If you would like to schedule an in-person meeting with an unemployment benefits agent, or are interested in receiving more information about job search programs and career training, get in touch with your local Wyoming unemployment office.

Frequently Asked Questions about Wyoming Unemployment Insurance

Q. What happens if I go on vacation or am sick for one or more weeks during my unemployment claim?

If you’re unable to work on certain days, you won’t be able to receive unemployment compensation. Once you are able to work again and want to receive benefits, file a “reopened claim.”  You can do this either by calling the Unemployment Insurance Claim Center or logging into the WYUI portal.

Q. Do I have to pay federal taxes on my unemployment benefits?

The money you receive from unemployment benefits is considered income by the federal government, and you have to pay taxes on it. You will receive IRS Form 1099G at the end of January which shows how much you earned from unemployment benefits in the previous year.

Q. Am I eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits if I have been receiving payments from Workers Compensation?

You can’t get both Unemployment Insurance benefits and Temporary Total Disability payments from Workers’ Compensation at the same time. But, if you were sick or hurt for a long time and received Temporary Total Disability payments, you may be able to get unemployment benefits based on the money you made before you got sick or hurt. To do this, you have to ask for a “wage credit freeze.”

A worker who was injured must apply for Unemployment Insurance within 60 days after they receive a notice that they are ineligible for Workers’ Compensation benefits. This must happen within 36 months of the injury.

Q. Can I file for unemployment benefits in another state while living in Wyoming?

If you live in Wyoming but worked in another state, you can apply for unemployment benefits from that state so long as you earned most of your money there during your “base period.” If you worked in more than one state, including D.C., Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands, you can ask to combine your wages from each state and file for benefits in the state where you currently live.

Q. What should I do if I forget my PIN?

If you forget or need to reset your pin, you will need to email Be prepared to provide your name, phone number, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number.

Q. What is the maximum benefit amount and the minimum benefit amount given in Wyoming?

As of July 3, 2022, the most you can get in one week is $560. The least you can get is $40. But these amounts change every year based on Wyoming law.

Q. What is crossmatch?

A crossmatch is when the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services matches the information you gave them with the information your previous employers provide. If you said you made more or less than you actually did, the agency will say you received too much money and you will have to pay it back.

Q. What does it mean to be disqualified for unemployment?

If you are a Wyoming resident, there are rules about getting unemployment benefits. You might not be able to get these benefits if:

  1. You quit your job without a good reason
  2. You were fired for breaking rules at work
  3. You didn’t look for or accept a job you were able to do
  4. After receiving unemployment benefits for four weeks, you didn’t look for or take a job that pays at least half of what you used to make, even if it’s not in the same field as your last job.
  5. You received benefits by lying or being dishonest.

Frequently Asked Question

Q. What happens if I go on vacation or am sick for one or more weeks during my unemployment claim?
You will not be eligible for benefits during these days as you were not able or available for work. Make sure to file a ‘reopened claim’ once you recover and want to receive benefits again. This can be done over the telephone or over the website.
You must indicate ‘no’ on your continued claim pay order form question #2, which asks you if you were able and available for work in the given week.
Q. Do I have to pay federal taxes on my unemployment benefits?
The unemployment benefit amount is considered as a taxable income for Federal Income Tax purposes. You can choose to get 10% of your weekly benefits deducted and sent to the Internal Revenue Services.
Q. Am I eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits if I have been receiving payments from Workers' Compensation?
You cannot receive unemployment benefits and Temporary Total Disability payments from Workers' Compensation at the same time. To request this wage credit freeze if you had a continuous period of sickness or injury resulting in a temporary total compensation under the Workers' Compensation law, you may be able to claim unemployment benefits based on earnings prior to your injury date.

An injured worker must file Unemployment Insurance within:
  • 60 days following the date, the notice is mailed that the injured worker is no longer eligible to receive Workers' Compensation benefits
  • 36 months of the date of injury
Q. Can I file for unemployment benefits in another state while living in Wyoming?
You can claim for unemployment benefits in another state while residing in Wyoming only if you have had employment in the said state for the most part of your base period. Or, if you have wages in two or more states (or the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands), you may request the wages be combined by transferring them to the state in which you file your claim.
Q. What should I do if I forget my PIN?
You must contact Cardholder Services at (855) 233-8371 or visit to reset your PIN.
Q. Can I still get cash if I forget my PIN?
Yes. You can go to any bank or credit union and ask the teller for a cash withdrawal.
Q. What is the maximum benefit amount and minimum benefit amount given in Wyoming?
The state of Wyoming promises a minimum weekly benefit of $40 for those who qualify for benefits. The maximum benefit amount one can receive is $560.
Q.What does it mean to be disqualified for unemployment?
You could get disqualified from getting the UI benefits for a number of reasons as defined in the Wyoming Statutes.
  • You voluntarily quit your most recent work without good cause;
  • You were discharged (fired) from your most recent employment for misconduct connected with your work;
  • You failed (without good cause) to apply for or accept suitable work as defined by Wyoming statutes;
  • After four weeks of receiving unemployment benefits, you failed to apply for or accept suitable work outside of your customary occupation which pays at least 50% of your previous wages;
  • You obtained benefits by fraud or by misrepresented material facts

Questions & Answers

  1. All I have been searching for is when you are receiving unemployment is it paid weekly or biweekly in Wyoming? Simple enough question but trying to find out the answer has proven way to hard!! Can anyone answer this? Thank You

    • Karin,

      As much as I am aware, it’s a weekly claim in your state. You can simply login to your account online to check.

  2. If we terminated an employee due to covid-19 restrictions, would he/she become ineligible for unemployment for failing to reply to us when we reached back out to rehire our employees a couple of months later?

  3. my ex husband is currently on unemployment in Wyoming but he is subject to a mandatory wage garnishment for child support. I have not received any child support from him, will Wyoming automatically take child support out of his unemployment or will my children have to go without?

  4. If I am receiving unemployment in New York can I move to Wyoming and continue to collect unemployment from Wyoming?

    • Matt,

      You should be able to move your file to Wyoming. Please reach out to the Unemployment Office in Wyoming for details.

  5. Are there benefits for those of us that are out of work due to the Corona virus. The dental office I work at has been shut down due to the recommendation of the ADA and WY Dental board. The current recommendation is to be closed for 3 weeks.

    • Mari,

      Your state may have activated “Emergency Funding” considering the Coronavirus outbreak. Please visit the website right away to learn more.

    • Roxanne,

      If your job was meant to be a part-time, I am not sure of your eligibility. Please call the Unemployment Office.

      • I received a letter of an eligibility review, I’m already filing for my continued claims online. I filled that paper out, and sent it to DWS. Is this standard procedure to receive this paperwork while you’re filing for continued claims or is it another matter?

        • Sam,

          I don’t think it’s differential. Please call the Unemployment Office for clarification.

    • Sara,

      You may not be eligible for unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  6. If I quit my job because of ongoing mental health issues which started before I started working at this job, and I started another job 4 months after leaving the first job, but I am only working part-time, do I qualify for unemployment?

    • Aileen,

      Unemployment Insurance benefits are only extended to workers who’re out of job due to involuntary reasons.

  7. I am from Ca ,worked 5 and a half months in Wy …I was awarded 11 weeks only,and I won’t have a job here in Ca when that is up.How and when, do I apply for an extension?I see 26 weeks is the max for Wy ,which I got working the same months from Ca in 2014 and 2015

    • Please note there is no federal extension available. You may call the Unemployment Office in your state for further details.

  8. my wife will be hiring some one to watch aunt olga in rock springs Wyoming four hours per day 20 hours per week does my wife Bernadine have to pay unemployment taxes in Wyoming for an employee ?

    • Each state has its own rules in this regard. Not sure of how it works in WY.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for precise information.

  9. I work contract positions for many different companies. I live in Colorado but my last job was in Wyoming and was laid off do to lack of work. Previous to that job I worked in Louisiana and was laid off for the same reason. In what state do I need to claim my unemployment from?

    • Contract workers are generally not eligible since employers do not remit the relevant taxes.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in the state where you last worked to get further information.

  10. I moved to WY to start a new job. Nine days into job I became very ill and had to leave my job, which included our housing. Because we had no place to stay we had to move in with our daughter in CA. Which state do I file under, WY or CA?

    • If you left voluntarily, you will not be eligible to claim UI benefits.

      You must be filing from the state where you last worked.

  11. My son was fired from his place of employement for safty violation. He worked for this company for 9 months. Is he eligible to apply for Unemployment Benefits?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *