Max. Weekly Benefit Amount
Max. Weeks of Benefits
Current Jobless Rate
Max Weekly Benefit Amount
Max Weeks of benefits
Current Jobless rate

Updated : September 18th, 2023

Hawaii Unemployment Benefits

Hawaii Unemployment Benefits

The UI Division of the State Department of Labor and Industrial Relations runs the Hawaii unemployment benefits program. Qualified workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of theirs, can get temporary financial aid through this program until they can find new suitable jobs. Employers pay taxes on their payrolls to fund the system with no contribution from the employees.

Hawaii UI Benefits Calculator

The Hawaii Unemployment Benefits Calculator helps you estimate your UI weekly benefits amount.

UI Benefits Calculator
Calculate Your Hawaii Unemployment Benefits

See our Hawaii unemployment calculator to estimate your benefit payments.

Hawaii Unemployment Calculator

Eligibility To Apply For UI Benefits In Hawaii

In order to receive unemployment benefits in the state of Hawaii, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  1. Be totally or partially unemployed
  2. File an application for unemployment benefits
  3. Complete a one-week waiting period
  4. File unemployment claim certifications
  5. Register for work with the Hawaii State Workforce Development Division
  6. Apply for 3 jobs each week
  7. Take part in reemployment services
  8. Be physically and mentally able to work
  9. Be ready and willing to accept full-time work
  10. Attend required interviews and appointments
  11. Be a United States citizen or have a legal right to work in Hawaii

Monetary eligibility

After filing an initial application for benefits, you will receive an Unemployment Determination of Insured Status form. This form will tell you:

  • How much you earned from each employer in the past year and total wages paid during your base period
  • Your weekly benefit amount
  • Your maximum benefit amount

Unemployment compensation is based on how much you earned during your “base period.” This base period consists of the first four out of the past five most recently worked quarters before you the week you filed for benefits. In some cases, an alternate base period may be used, which typically uses the four most recently completed quarters.

Find out more about eligibility requirements

Job Separation

In order to qualify for unemployment benefits in Hawaii, you must have lost your job through no fault of your own. This means:

  • You did not voluntarily quit without a valid cause
  • You were not fired or suspended for misconduct
  • You are partially or completely unemployed
  • If you are partially unemployed, your wages must be less than your weekly benefit

Eligibility Calculator

Maintaining eligibility

In order to continue receiving unemployment compensation, you must file a weekly or bi-weekly claim certification. When filing your claim certification, you will need to be prepared to supply information about:

  • Any work performed/wages received
  • Whether you were willing and able to work
  • Job search activities, including
    • If you posted a resume on HireNet Hawaii
    • How many employers you contacted

Whether you are recording your job contacts

Learn more about job search requirements

How to apply for UI benefits in Hawaii

To start receiving Hawaii UI benefits, you must file an initial application through the state’s online portal.

When creating a login and filing for benefits, be prepared to supply:

  • Contact information
  • Personal identification
  • Banking account and routing number for direct deposits
  • Employment history for the past 18 months

Learn how to apply for Hawaii UI benefits

How To File Weekly Claims

After submitting your initial application for unemployment benefits, you will need to file a weekly or bi-weekly claim certification.

To do so, you will need to log into the state’s unemployment portal at and click the “File a Claim Certification” button on the right-hand side of the screen.

You will need to file a weekly certification within seven days from the end of your certification period, otherwise your benefits may be denied.

Learn how to claim weekly benefits

Things To Know After Filing An Application

After you’ve filed for unemployment benefits, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the process to maintain your eligibility and continue receiving benefits. If you fail to follow the unemployment regulations established by the state of Hawaii, your claim for benefits may be denied. Please take into account the following:

Hawaii unemployment fraud

Intentionally providing false information or withholding important facts to receive benefits is considered unemployment fraud, and may result in swift penalties. This includes being dishonest about why you’re unemployed, failure to report earnings while filing claim certifications, or lying about your job search activities.


If it is determined that you received benefits you were not eligible for, it creates what is known as an overpayment. When this happens, you will receive a Notice of Overpayment of Benefits letter that outlines the overpayment amount, the week in which it occurred, and how to re-pay it.

Extended benefit programs

The state of Hawaii participates in federal extended benefits programs once its unemployment rate reaches a certain threshold or during extenuating economic circumstances. The state also maintains its own “additional benefits program” for county-specific natural and man-made disasters.

There are currently no extended benefit programs in place in Hawaii. Residents of Hawaii are eligible for 26 weeks of unemployment benefits.

Job Training Assistance

Hawaii offers a variety of job searching resources and programs to help unemployed workers find new employment. By contacting potential employers, you can meet your work search requirements for unemployment. These programs are available in a variety of languages, including Hawaiian, Tagalog, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

A few of the most popular programs and resources include:

  • American Job Center Hawaii
  • Hawaii is Hiring
  • HireNet Hawaii
  • Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment
  • Workforce Development job fairs and training workshops

Learn about job training opportunities in HI

Hawaii unemployment office locations and phone numbers

If you have questions about your claim for unemployment benefits, or require assistance with filing, you can call the unemployment claims center or schedule an appointment with your local claims office.

If you are looking for help with finding a new job, including resume writing help and training programs, you should visit your local American Jobs Center.

Common questions about Hawaii unemployment insurance

Can I file for unemployment benefits if I am traveling or sick?

If you are not able and available for work, you will be deemed ineligible for UI benefits, according to the state law in Hawaii. Traveling or recovering from an illness means you are not able to work.

What happens if I earn more than my weekly benefit amount?

When submitting your claim certifications, it is essential to disclose your gross earnings (earnings before taxes). They will be subtracted from your weekly benefit amount.

Do I need to keep filing claim certifications after I find a full-time job?

You do not need to continue filing claim certifications if you have resumed full-time employment.

Can you claim unemployment benefits as a student or educational worker?

Yes. Questions about educational institution employment are consistently included in the “Eligibility Review” section, asking whether you have worked for an educational institution employer in the last 18 months, and whether your employment was conditional upon your status as a student.

How do unemployment benefits work with a permanent change of station in the military?

While individuals who resign from their jobs due to relocating with their spouse (PCS) are generally eligible for UI benefits, this may not always be the case. Other factors, such as the inability to be available for work, can lead to disqualification.

What is the maximum benefit amount I can receive?

The minimum weekly benefit amount is $5 and the maximum weekly benefit amount is $763. The maximum amount is updated each year.

Can I move to another state and still receive Hawaii UI benefits?

Hawaii provides UI benefits to qualified claimants, even if they move to another state.

If you have an active claim with the state of Hawaii before relocating, you must update your address with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations.

Frequently Asked Question

Q. Is there a tax incurred on unemployment benefits?
Yes, a tax is incurred on unemployment benefits. Claimants have the option to withhold 10% for federal taxes and 5% for state taxes in Hawaii from applicants UI benefits. Claimants can log in to their account to set Tax Withholding preferences.

Form 1099-G is sent in January showing claimants total benefits paid in the previous year. The form also states federal income taxes can be kept under hold in the previous calendar year. Always make sure to keep the receipts of your payment of tax returns.
Q. Are ex-military individuals and federal civilians eligible to qualify for UI benefits?
Applicants who worked in the military in the last eighteen months are eligible to qualify for unemployment benefits. Claimants need to present their member 4 DD-214 to their respective claims office. Ex-military persons can file their claim in any state no matter where they were stationed in the military. Though you must keep in mind that you must be present in that particular state when filing claims.

If you wish to file claims in the state of Hawaii you must be present in Hawaii at the time you file your initial claim. Once this step is complete, you can move to another state and continue to file UI for your Hawaii claim. If claimants worked in the federal government in the past 18 months, they are eligible for UI benefits provided they have the Standard Form 8, Standard Form 50 or pay the necessary stubs if available.
Q. What does an interstate claim mean?
If you move to another state, you can receive benefits from Hawaii provided you meet Hawaii’s eligibility requirements.

Applicants can file a claim against Hawaii even when they reside in another state. The state where claimants file claims is called the “agent state” because the state is an agent to help you file your claim as soon as possible.
Q. How does a claimant sign up for a Direct Deposit ?
For claimants to sign up for a direct deposit, claimants must have an online UI account. You can create a new account by visiting and filling up the application online. Always make sure the financial institution routing number and account number are correct.

It’s highly suggested you use the bank routing number and correct account information on your personal check. You also have the option to have your benefits deposited into your savings account. All you need to do is provide your direct deposit information which should be submitted once per claim.
Q. Can claimants receive UI benefits being partially employed
Yes, claimants can receive UI benefits being partially unemployed. Claimants in the state of Hawaii are allowed to earn $150 and receive unemployment benefits. If claimants are associated with a regular employer and not working, or working less hours than your weekly benefit amount. Claimants are eligible to qualify for difference between the earnings of over $150 and your weekly benefit amount.

For example, if you earn $200 a week and your weekly benefit amount is $300, you are still entitled to receive $250. If by any chance what you earn in a week exceeds your weekly benefit amount, you will not receive benefits.
Q. What happens if an applicant is denied unemployment insurance?
If a notice is sent to you stating that you are denied UI benefits, you have the option to request for reconsideration or file an appeal. Applicants can mail their reconsiderations and appeals to any of your local UI claims office.

Applicants must write the request in writing, on the form provided by the department or by letter. Your request must be filed within 10 calendar days immediately after the notice date was mailed to you.

Questions & Answers

  1. My position was terminated and my last day was April 30, 2021. Am I still eligible to collect UE 3 months after being terminated? Is there a cutoff point in which I would no longer be able to apply for UE after being laid off ? I am currently receiving severance pay which ends in December and deciding if I should wait until December to apply for UE. Also, how many months would I be eligible for UE?

    Thank you.

  2. I am a musician in Hawaii. My primary employer is the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra. Due to COVID, we’ve had our work cut. I applied for unemployment benefits and have over $10,000 allocated to me that expire in September.

    Unfortunately, I am blocked from receiving those benefits because I also teach part time. Less than 3% of my income comes from teaching, but 100% of my benefits are blocked during the summer with the line: “Pending Decision Due to Wages from Educational Institution.”

    Can you please help me?

    • Anna,

      It looks like there’s a pending inquiry. Please see if you can speak to a rep from the Unemployment Office to sort this out.

  3. I am now required to job search. I have been getting unemployment. An employer offered me a part time position. Do I need to take it because I am not allowed to refuse an offer for work. Will I still be able to collect unemployment if the compensation is under my weekly benefit. I live in Hawaii.

  4. If i am receiving UI, if i get a part time job that pays less than the weekly amount, will i stop receiving UI benefits?

  5. Can someone on Hawaii UI benefits travel to another state to apply and interview for a potential job and still collect unemployment?
    If hired for the job but has to go through a 2-month no pay training, san that person still collect UI benefits during that period?

  6. I am currently living in Hawaii and collecting unemployment insurance. I’ve lived and worked in Hawaii for over 30 years and will be moving to Oregon in May. Can I still collect unemployment insurance and should I claim in Hawaii or Oregon? Does moving to another state affect my Unemployment Insurance benefits at all? I will be continuing to look for work in Oregon. Thank you.

  7. What should I do next after my benefit year end If I still need UI.

    April 18 2021 will be end.

    Should I file Initial claim?

    Please advise.

  8. I been waiting for like three weeks for my claim all it’s saying is waiting on monetary decision so wen will say b cause I’m still unemployed because of covid 19

  9. I am currently collecting unemployment benefits in the state of California. My intention is to relocate to Hawaii. What is the protocol for interstate transfer of my claim from California to Hawaii?

  10. We are a military family and are scheduled to PCS within the next few months and ive heard as a military spouse we are eligible for unemployment but my question is If so, what is the process prior to giving up my job? At what length am I allowed to resign prior to moving? Or should I wait until the very last day till the move? Thank you.

    • Ashley,

      As a military spouse, you will be eligible to claim UI benefits after you resign and move. Please consider applying once you’re totally unemployed.

  11. I have been waiting to obtain my unemployment checks and have not received any checks at this time. I have been in contact with a claims examiner who contacted my previous employer and “grilled me” for 30 min asking questions and requesting emails between myself and former employer. I sent them to her in hopes of expediting my claim and to release my unemployment check, but still no check. I keep leaving voice messages on her phone, but have not received any return calls. Who can I go to, to help expedite my claim and receive my unemployment benefit checks. This has been going on for over a month.

    • Lauren,

      I can understand the reason for anxiety. If you’re unable to reach the examiner, please call the Claims Center on their toll-free number and lookout for relevant options on the IVR.

  12. I have a boss who is constantly talking down to me and degrading me. In my eyes, she is Abusive in the way she treats me. Am I able to quit my job and collect unemployment

    • Rose,

      Before you quit, please gather supporting documents and make sure to consult the Unemployment Office in your state. Voluntary resignation might go against you.

  13. I was removed from my supervisory position and my company can only offer a lower position and significantly reduce my income. If I don’t accept the offer, I will be terminated. Will I be eligible for Unemployment? If eligible, can I work as Uber driver on a part time basis to increase my income close to what I was making as a supervisor? Thank you.

    • I am guessing you should be eligible.

      Please make sure to clarify with the Unemployment Office before making a decision.

  14. I was let go on Friday sept 22, 2017 I called in sick on thur and Friday.I called my boss on Friday if I need a note from my doctor but she said no , and that’s when she said she was letting me go. there was too much complaing from the people I worked with. although I thought things were fine I know I did the best I could . She did cut my hours quite a bit and I would have left evidently

    • Susan,

      You may not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  15. My employer let me go buy a involuntary termination however they sent me emails saying I am laid off laugh terminated and it would help me with my unemployment no problem I have proof of this so will I still get my benefits

    • Kand,

      If the employer has said there would be no issues, please consider applying for UI benefits until you find another job.

  16. I’m a spouse of an active duty service member and had to quit my job to move for a PCS (Permanent Change of Station). How long can I wait to file for UI benefits after quitting my job?

    • You should be able to apply immediately without a waiting period.

      Please call the Unemployment Office in your state since it differs from one state to another.

  17. My employer has given me a verbal notice that they are letting me go at the end of the month due to lack of sales production. Would I qualify for any type of unemployment?

  18. i lost my job because the company I am working for shut their door completely on March 17,2027.i am retired and receiving SSec. Am I eligible to file uneloyment?

    • You can be eligible to draw UI benefits along with SS benefits.

      Please call the Unemployment Office for further information.

  19. We relocated to Hawaii for my husband’s job. I had to quit my job and have been actively looking for 7 months and been on multiple interviews. Would I qualify for unemployment benefits?

    • You will not be eligible since unemployment insurance is only extended to those who become unemployed due to involuntary reasons.

  20. My husband has a full time and a part time job. His full time job maybe laying people off, if he gets laid off will he still be eligible for unemployment?

  21. I live in NYC and have collecting unemployment. I am moving to Hawaii next month. My question is, when I move there, can I still collect Unemployment? if I can, will I have to apply with Hawaii or continue to claim with New York?

  22. My wife just got replaced with a qualified DOE employee, for her long term substituting teaching position that she has been teaching in at a local high school for the last 6 months. She was given two days notice (Friday told-last day Tuesday). Will she be eligible for unemployment compensation?

  23. I’m retired and collecting SSec. I plan to go back to work part time 25 hrs a week if I get laid off can I collect unemplyment benifits????even if I’m collecting SS…..

    • Depends. Some states allow provision of both while some don’t.

      Please inquire further wit the labor authorities in your state and apply accordingly.

  24. I have been working for 2 yr for my employer and am being asked to work in another location that is too far for everyday drive…can I get unemployment?

  25. I am in the military and about to get out. I am leaving out of the state and leave with my spouse in another states. Can i stiil file here and get the benefits?

    • Please call the labor dept in your state.They generally have exclusive provisions for service men.

  26. I just got verbally terminated by the Company management and there were no separation letter given to me. Do I qualify for unemployment benefits.

    • Please ask for written document.

      You may be asked to produce relevant paperwork when you apply for UI benefits.

  27. My husband is currently in the military, active duty. We will be moving back to Oregon (Spouse’s home state of record) after his four year contract completes, January 2014. I have a full time occupation (18+ months) in Hawaii. Due to us relocating to Oregon would I qualify for unemployment benefits? If so, what is the process prior to giving up my job? At what length am I allowed to resign prior to moving? Or should I wait until the very last day till the move? Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *